So, how much IS Star Citizen? Is it worth it?

MoonKnightSpidey

I love space. I could totally see my self getting immersed in this game. I have a few questions.

1. Is it worth it?

~50 dollars per ship seems like a lot. Plus buying a HOTAS because that is how I would want to play the game. Is the game a subscription?

2. How good will the game run on my specs. Click the "im upgrading soon" button.

3. How fun is the game?

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

When you buy a pledge, you are buying the game which just so happens to come with a ship. Most AAA titles are around $60 anyways and once the game has progressed farther in development you will be able  to buy ships with in-game currency.

You would probably have to run on medium or low.

I have an i5 and a 980ti but I still play on medium for that extra FPS.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

Star citisen is like some sort of premium game... pay a LOT for it... But I know a lot of people who really enjoy it so if you're ready to spend a bit of money on some ships, get it!

SS is almost like a hobby rather than a game. You have to lay down some serious cash, not only for the game but for a rig to actually run it.

1. the base pledge packages are 45$, no sub required

2. probably decent, it is being designed to run on the next gen stuff, they said 900 / 300's but it seems like it may even be the upcoming stuff from nvidia / amd

3. The game has the potential to be all the fun - but this is up to you and what you like really

OAS || AAS || LLS

1. for 45$ I'd say yes + tomorrow's going to be the start of the holiday sale so you might get lucky with a discounted price on a Starter Package. You don't need to spend any more as everything can be obtained within the game once it hits beta phase. Also when signing up you can use the referral code generator to get some extra goodies

2. The CPU might become a problem but I'd say it's playable. Also you can always turn some stuff of if you don't need it pretty and are willing to tinker with some .cfg files (link)

3. A hell lot of, especially when messing with the game in a way it's not intended to right now. The LTT Conglomerate is here to help you get some friends  :P

Did you know this forum has an unofficial/official Star Citizen group? Head over to our organization's page, numerous forum threads or our LTTC Discord Server to find out more.

SS is almost like a hobby rather than a game. You have to lay down some serious cash, not only for the game but for a rig to actually run it.

Not true, at the moment yes you have a benefit to spending more money but you have to remember that this is helping to fund the games development. You can buy one of the Aurora or Mustang Alpha packages and rent ships/equipment which doesn't require anything other than playing the game so it depends on if you want to help fund the game (And to what extreme) or wait for more to be available without having to grind alot to afford stuff without spending money.

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

Not true, at the moment yes you have a benefit to spending more money but you have to remember that this is helping to fund the games development. You can buy one of the Aurora or Mustang Alpha packages and rent ships/equipment which doesn't require anything other than playing the game so it depends on if you want to help fund the game (And to what extreme) or wait for more to be available without having to grind alot to afford stuff without spending money.

Ditto

Hah i just realized the irony in that comment

Woops just realised thanks to @Wander Away in discord that I dun fudged up and didnt read the response... I suck

Ryzen 7  2700x | 16GB RAM | GTX 2080ti EVGA | Noctua LTT Edition D15 | Inwin 303 White | Roccat Suora | Logitech G903 Wireless| AKG K92 |

Star Citizen Linus Tech Tips Conglomerate Wolf Pack, Bane Wing Commander | LTTC Discord Chat | About the UOLTT | Referral Code Randomiser

There may or may not be a mop in my profile picture, don't ask about the mop... Just Look Here

be warned, the first $45 seems so reasonable.  But that is how it starts... the hunger, ever present, ever greater.  It will drive you mad... MAD I SAY!!! I knew someone once who couldn't stop buying ships, he bought so many he forgot who he was.  Geekavenger they called him.  

On a serious note, my advice is always buy in for what is there today, not what is promised.  It can be fun, but don't buy in for where you hope it will be.

Fortunately for me, when I started buying ships I stopped buying Weapon Skins on CS:GO... so it was a wash.  Now would anyone be interested in buying a mostly healthy kidney, the holiday stream is coming up after all.

Now would anyone be interested in buying a mostly healthy kidney, the holiday stream is coming up after all.

I would, I mean I'm really interested but unfortunately all of my money seems to have been withdrawn from my account and deposited into an account called "Cloud Imperium Games", not really sure what that is but I seem to have been given a lot of ships from them in return so I'm all outta cash for said kidney

Mostly been answered already but here's my 2c:

1) $45 for the base game ($30 if you get a special) is not bad IMO especially for what you get (Singleplayer campaign + multiplayer dogfighting/fps arena + persistent MMO sandbox universe). You don't need to spend any more than that, no subs and all ships will be available in game for in game credits (currently rentable in the arena mode) with the exception of future single player campaigns which will be charged for of which there are at least 3 currently planned with the first included in your current purchase and will be standalone games with an overarching story (something like Mass Effect aka each a game unto themselves).

2) At the moment the arena stuff would probably be OK but the PU stuff can be a bit hit and miss, it is an alpha though and current performance has no definite bearing on what it will be like at release (for better or worse ;)). That CPU might hold you back going forward though.

3) Very much a personal thing but I think most people seem to be pretty positive about it. Me, I'm having a blast, even in the baby PU I've spent several hours playing now and haven't even touched a mission I'm just enjoying flying around trying to squeeze through tight spaces at 1000m/s etc. or stealing other peoples ships and going for joy rides, the bugs can be frustrating but you have to be fully aware it is very much an alpha (not a beta or demo as some people seem to unknowingly compare it to) and while not the most stable one I've ever played is also far, far from the most buggy too.

Chat yesterday:

P1: "Anyone want to go gunner in my Tali"

P2: "I'm in"

P1: "Come to landing pad 10"

P2: "Did you just take off without me"

P1: "Nope, just got jacked"

P1: "GTA motherf***er"

Me: *Hehehe I got me a Tali :D*

Mostly been answered already but here's my 2c:

1) $45 for the base game ($30 if you get a special) is not bad IMO especially for what you get (Singleplayer campaign + multiplayer dogfighting/fps arena + persistent MMO sandbox universe). You don't need to spend any more than that, no subs and all ships will be available in game for in game credits (currently rentable in the arena mode) with the exception of future single player story's which will be charged for of which there are at least 3 currently planned with the first included in your current purchase and will be standalone games with an overarching story (something like Mass Effect).

2) At the moment the arena stuff would probably be OK but the PU stuff can be a bit hit and miss, it is an alpha though and current performance has no definite bearing on what it will be like at release (for better or worse ;)).

3) Very much a personal thing but I think most people seem to be pretty positive about it. Me, I'm having a blast, even in the baby PU I've spent several hours playing now and haven't even touched a mission I'm just enjoying flying around trying to squeeze through tight spaces at 1000m/s etc. or stealing other peoples ships and going for joy rides, the bugs can be frustrating but you have to be fully aware it is very much an alpha and while not the most stable one I've ever played is also far, far from the most buggy too.

Chat yesterday:

P1: "Anyone want to go gunner in my Tali"

P2: "I'm in"

P1: "Come to landing pad 10"

P2: "Did you just take off without me"

P1: "Nope, just got jacked"

P1: "GTA motherf***er"

Me: *Hehehe I got me a Tali :D*

So you just steal someone's 50 space ship? Really shitty dude.

PC SPECS: Athlon 860k, MSI 380 4GB, 8GB memory, 1TB HDD, Fractal Design Core 1000

So you just steal someone's 50 space ship? Really shitty dude.

Its not permanent at the moment :P

There are no locks etc. so its very easy and a re-log puts it back in your inventory. Lots of stuff has yet to be implemented (alpha) and at the moment if you manage to spend any amount of time in the baby PU without getting your ship stolen or blown up whether you're in it or had it parked up and gone exploring a station you're probably in an empty server lol (not that there is such a thing at the moment ;)).

P.S. Talis are way more than $50 :D

shotlandedfront.jpg

1: No sub

2: You aren't actually buying a ship, you are merely buying the game and donating to the game's development. The ships only cost what they cost as people who donate more get sweater perks.

3: It's a epic MMO sim

Umm Yes.

star-citizen1.jpg

My Ship,

maxresdefault.jpg

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER