The Town of Woodland, NC, has rejected a proposal for a solar farm following public concerns that solar panels 'suck up all the energy from the sun'

http://www.thecybercolumn.com/2015/12/a-us-town-has-rejected-proposal-for.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-town-rejects-solar-panels-amid-fears-they-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun-a6771526.html

This part is particularly disturbing...

A retired science teacher, Jane Mann, expressed concerns that plants in the vicinity of the panels would not photosynthesize which would prevent the plants from growing.She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

This isnt how it works. Also Nobody can tell her that it causes cancer.

One local man, Bobby Mann said that businesses would stop going to Woodland, the community would suffer as a result and the farms would suck up all the energy from the sun, according to the Roanoke-Chowan News Herald.

“You’re killing your town,” he said. “All the young people are going to move out.”

They might be leaving on account of the ignorance too...

They told them “there are no toxic materials on site” and “this is a tried and true technology.”
The council gave the people what the wanted and voted 3-1 against rezoning the land and later voted for a moratorium on future solar farms. 

They can now use coal and gas, you know, the clean way to produce energy /s

LOL... Just LOL. Its amazing how smart people are this day in age.

Tsubasa (The 7680x1440 beast): CPU: Intel i7 8086k | Cooler: Fully Custom Rigid Loop MOBO: Asus Z370-I ITX | GPU: Nvidia Titan Xp Star Wars | RAM: 32Gb 2x16gb Gskill Trident Z RGB | SSD: Samsung 1TB 970 Evo Nvme, 2TB Micron Sata SSD | Case: Fractal Design Nano S | PSU: Corsair SF600 With Full custom cables  

Please excuse me while I jump out of the 13th story balcony.

Build: i5-4460 | GT 720 | Logitech G710+ Keyboard | Corsair M65 Mouse | Dell e2314h Monitor | Windows 10

Generic Dell: Mobo, 8gb RAM, 430w PSU, 1TB Storage, XPS 8700 Case

Solar panels are not great for other reasons, which definitely don't include sucking up the Sun light (Why isn't the fact that the Sun is a bloody star that constantly releases energy for the rest of its life not general knowledge by now?).

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

This is one of those times I wish I was God. I could give them one hell of a smack.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

Fucking lol... This kind of stupidity is why the world is going to shit.

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

It's not like a solar cell farm is expensive and inefficient anyways. /s

I used to be quite active here.

Ohh and please use a better source like this one instead, blogger based blogs are not the best source you know.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-town-rejects-solar-panels-amid-fears-they-suck-up-all-the-energy-from-the-sun-a6771526.html

Pascal laptops guide

Yeah , those are a bit out of context.

And the town didn't reject the proposal for a solar farm , saying that "it would suck up all the energy from the sun". No. During a public comment , some respected town citizens expressed their opinions on the matter. One of them said this uh... idiocracy .

Actually , the whole thing is more than just that.

The Planning Board of the town proposed for a piece of land to be rezoned from Residential/Agricultural , to Manufacturing, to allow  Strata Solar Company to build a solar farm. The Town council denied the proposal , and implicitly the solar farm.

A few actual (semi-) valid arguments brought up during the public hearing :

She said her home is surrounded by solar farms and is no longer worth its value because of those facilities.

Jane Mann said she is a local native and is concerned about the plants that make the community beautiful.

She is a retired Northampton science teacher and is concerned that photosynthesis, which depends upon sunlight, would not happen and would keep the plants from growing. She said she has observed areas near solar panels where the plants are brown and dead because they did not get enough sunlight.

She also questioned the high number of cancer deaths in the area, saying no one could tell her that solar panels didn’t cause cancer.

The town would not benefit from the solar farms because they are not located within the town limits, but only in the extraterritorial sections.

The only funding the town would get is about $7,000 per year to train the fire department in case something goes wrong.

The power generated would go directly into the electrical grid and would not reduce Woodland’s power bills.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Wait, that woman was a science teacher? People like that should not be allowed near our children.

This isn't funny, just a bit sad.

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

I don't even know what to say to this, other than that these people should not be able to vote. I'm a fan of democracy and all that, but if I didn't know shit about a topic, then I wouldn't be voting on it. Democracy only works if people actually know what they are talking about, so either read up, or shut up.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

And people wonder why I say that a pure democracy is an awful, terrible idea.

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Yeah , those are a bit out of context.

A few actual (semi-) valid arguments :

I don't think the second quote is valid

Pascal laptops guide

I don't think the second quote is valid

That's why I said "semi".

It could be , but it probably isn't.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

And people wonder why I say that a pure democracy is an awful, terrible idea.

Lack of feasible knowledge and basic factual education is what I see as the main problem.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

My PC froze from so much stupidity. It legit froze when i clicked on the post

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

+1 autism

Calling everyone who is uneducated "Autistic" is wrong, Not all people with Autism are retarded like you suggest, think before you attribute everyone with a born disorder to plain stupidity.

My build : http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL

[spoiler spoiler=Crimson Skyline]  My build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Ck8VkL | I5-6600K | Hyper 212 Evo | Asus Z170 Pro Gaming + ROG Front Base | Axevir Core Series Red 2X8 2400 | Sandisk SSD Plus 240 GB | Western Digital 1TB Blue | MSI R9 390 | Corsair 760T | Corsair 850 RMI | Dell U2515H IPS | Hyper X II Cloud Red | Corsair K95 RGB | Logitech G602 |

[spoiler spoiler=Laptop] I7 3232QM | Nvidia GT635M | 17.6" TN | 1TB HD | 6GB RAM

That's why I said "semi".

It could be , but it probably isn't.

Not even semi, not even 1%. She didn't carry any research on cancer rates (obviously she is just a teacher) so it's obvious bias. And the sun releases energy constantly you can't really use it up yourself (unless you somehow manage to pull it directly from the sun).

Pascal laptops guide

Lack of feasible knowledge and basic factual education is what I see as the main problem.

I was curious what you would think about this story.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Yeah , the title is kinda clickbait.

Not even semi, not even 1%. She didn't carry any research on cancer rates (obviously she is just a teacher) so it's obvious bias. And the sun releases energy constantly you can't really use it up yourself (unless you somehow manage to pull it directly from the sun).

There could be some dangerous materials used in some solar farms , and those could cause cancer. Who knows. Still , that's probably not the case.

And I don't think it's about the solar panels using energy that would otherwise be used by plants. Rather , I think that plants near the solar farms aren't doing to well simply because of the local environment. Yet again, there could be some dangerous materials there. Or there could be a lack of some minerals , water , etc. It's semi-valid.