Did motherboards just morph

GSTARR

I was caught totally unawares when planning to buy a video card next year (for an upcoming build) when I learned that a new socket is taking Nvidia's reigns, one that they themselves created?!

Did I not only just watch my build get thrown away (different socket means different mobo, and even with "supposed" pcie support, it outright states it cuts efficiency which I'm not willing to do) but also see every motherboard manufacturer see their ass handed to them as they get a new design handed to them with a smug grin from a gpu manufacturer???

Shipping sucks

What? ....What? 

What?

Pascal (Maxwell's successor) uses a different slot than PCIe that NVIDIA itself created,

meaning motherboards will have to change as the "supposed" support for pcie goes away with new generations

Nvidia just told mobo producers what they're going to do for the next few years hahah

Shipping sucks

Am i living under a rock because whut

Pascal (Maxwell's successor) uses a different slot than PCIe that NVIDIA itself created,

meaning motherboards will have to change as the "supposed" support for pcie goes away with new generations

Nvidia just told mobo producers what they're going to do for the next few years hahah

Sure... You got a source for this?

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Am i living under a rock because whut

Pascal is going to use a "NVLink" socket as it's main connection instead of PCIe

Shipping sucks

You mean NVLink? I don't think that's going to be a problem on the general consumer side. GTX cards will still be made in PCIe format.

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

Moved to CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory. Not sure why this was in Tech News.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

I've never heard this ever. Can you provide some confirmed sources.

-アパゾ

That just seems really wrong... There is absolutely no way Nvidia (or AMD) will plan their next GPU on some socket (which you speak of) that is not yet out. That would just ridiculously limit sales.

I may be wrong, but at least post a source.....

Pascal is going to use a "NVLink" socket as it's main connection instead of PCIe

Bullshit

See this. http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/462486-nvidia-pascal-mythbusting/

Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE

Sure... You got a source for this?

It's literally on every single website I've gone to; they're going to use a different socket, with SUPPORT for PCIe.

Edited by Glenwing
Insult removed

Shipping sucks

Nvidia isn't stupid enough to go ahead and make their cards completely unusable on all currently existing motherboards, I think you've picked up some misinformation. 

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Soooooo, back to proprietary bullshit simulator?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Nvidia isn't stupid enough to go ahead and make their cards completely unusable on all currently existing motherboards, I think you've picked up some misinformation. 

Agreed. Unless they want to bleed money, they will offer PCIe cards and maybe Titan & Quaddro will be available as NVLink. It's even stated as part of supercomputer projects.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvlink.html

CPU: i7 4770K  |  Corsair H80i  |  ASUS Z87-Pro  |  8GB Corsair 1866Mhz  |  GPU: MSI Gaming X RX 480 8GB  |  Corsair HX  750

How is that bullshit lmao, you took what I said to a letter, when I put it in a question form specifically because I wasn't sure of all that I've read

you should've just quoted it like this in the first place.

"The full implementation of NVLink, where it entirely replaces PCIe, is only for supercomputers and servers, where they will require purpose-built motherboards and CPUs with NVLink controllers instead of PCIe controllers. So far the only CPUs we know of that are looking to fully implement NVLink in the near future are custom IBM POWER processors to be used as part of the Summit supercomputer being jointly designed and built by IBM and NVIDIA. The full NVLink implementation will not be used in the general desktop market." [Off of the thread you linked]

Edited by Glenwing
Insult removed

Shipping sucks

It's literally on every single website I've gone to; they're going to use a different socket, with SUPPORT for PCIe.

Yeah, that's all fine and dandy, but it won't affect any consumer or gamer at all. 

It's for supercomputers.

How is that bullshit lmao, you took what I said to a letter, when I put it in a question form specifically because I wasn't sure of all that I've read

you should've just quoted it like this in the first place.

"The full implementation of NVLink, where it entirely replaces PCIe, is only for supercomputers and servers, where they will require purpose-built motherboards and CPUs with NVLink controllers instead of PCIe controllers. So far the only CPUs we know of that are looking to fully implement NVLink in the near future are custom IBM POWER processors to be used as part of the Summit supercomputer being jointly designed and built by IBM and NVIDIA. The full NVLink implementation will not be used in the general desktop market." [Off of the thread you linked]

Exactly, it will not be used in the general desktop market.

Soooooo, back to proprietary bullshit simulator?

Nobody here mentioned Apple.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

How can i google something with out know what you are talking about? what is this new connector, what next gen cards? you give no information besides your own speculation with no sources.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Hold on is this talking about the change from PCI to PCI express.

The Dick of the audio page!

How can i google something with out know what you are talking about? what is this new connector, what next gen cards? you give no information besides your own speculation with no sources.

He's talking about NVLink, which is a CPU-GPU interconnect which will be used on next gen Nvidia GPUs built specifically for supercomputers.

This has absolutely 0 effect on consumers and even workstations at this point in time.

No, this is Nvidia making a custom interconnect specifically for supercomputers. It will most likely never grace the hands of the average consumers. We are still quite a bit away from when we will need to replace PCIE 3.0 just yet.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

He's talking about NVLink, which is a CPU-GPU interconnect which will be used on next gen Nvidia GPUs built specifically for supercomputers.

This has absolutely 0 effect on consumers and even workstations at this point in time.

well I know NVLink would not effect consumers but He should really put what he is talking about in the OP. and maybe the article he saw this in.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc