Winrar vs Winzip vs 7zip

brownninja97

Once again i got into a argument with my friends about which archiver was the best or just most used. Once again it ended up of us betting £20.(pls vote winrar, serious i need the money)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

i use 7zip because from my experience it seems to deal with .tar.gz the best, and i use those fairly regularly.

Winrar.. I use it because I just got familiar with after using it for so long. Everyone I know uses it also. I dont know anyone who uses anything else except Winrar.

Easily 7-zip

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

6148 post holy fucken shit man.

hahha :)

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

I use Winrar, but 7zip seems to be better.. (use it at school so...)

Either way, since I use Winrar the most I voted that

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Along with using 7zip, you'll be able to utilize lzma2 and max out all your cpu threads if you need to backup/compress something large, like your Dogecoin app data. The blockchain is now in excess of 15GB so it's worth a backup.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

@brownninja97 7zip is superior to a large degree. It integrates into the Windows context menu, doesn't bug you with pop-ups, ads, or prompts to buy the pro version, and is 100% free.

Winzip is utter shit. That hasn't been "good" in over a decade. The competition had it beat years ago.

WinRAR used to be the top dog, but the program itself is too annoying, with no benefits over 7zip.

@brownninja97 which program did your friend bet on? If he bet on 7zip, then you're toast... Honestly, why use WinRAR over 7zip?

Edit: Best and "most used" are two 100% different questions. WinZip might even still be the most used. WinRAR possibly is the most used now. 7zip is superior than both in every way (eg: "Best").

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

If you're betting 20 pounds then you should have made it clear if you were talking about it being "best" as in "it has the best performance" or just most used. A lot of times the most popular thing is not the one that's objectively the best.

If we're talking about RAR4 then 7zip is technically superior. It's faster and has better compression ratio (according to tests from Tom's Hardware among others). I am not sure about RAR5 vs 7zip, but barely anyone uses that.

Of the ones you listed 7-Zip is the best, because it is FOSS.  (except for the unRAR portion of it, though .rar should be discarded anyways)

I use both winrar and 7zip

just cracked winrar tho...don't need it hasseling me

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I like to be different:

Power Archiver.

Powerful (a bit too much, it is starting to be buried with options if you like basic software, but you can clean it up, which is nice), no heavy bloat, does a pretty good job, multi-core optimized, fast, and, I think, it is the only nice looking program where it doesn't look like it comes from 1995. It is also skinable, has Office like look, or you can make it look classic style while retaining nice look (the best you can).

Sadly, not free ($23 U.S)

WinRAR, but annoying pop-up: "Buy me, you lazy dog!!!" *sighs*

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

Been using 7 zip for years. Most benchmarks I have seen put winrar ahead on most tasks but can't beat the price of 7 zip and its lack of nagware.

I use both winrar and 7zip

just cracked winrar tho...don't need it hasseling me

Why use both? Is there some feature that WinRAR has that 7zip cannot do?

And if it's hassling you so much, maybe you should buy it :P

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@brownninja97 7zip is superior to a large degree. It integrates into the Windows context menu, doesn't bug you with pop-ups, ads, or prompts to buy the pro version, and is 100% free.

Winzip is utter shit. That hasn't been "good" in over a decade. The competition had it beat years ago.

WinRAR used to be the top dog, but the program itself is too annoying, with no benefits over 7zip.

@brownninja97 which program did your friend bet on? If he bet on 7zip, then you're toast... Honestly, why use WinRAR over 7zip?

Edit: Best and "most used" are two 100% different questions. WinZip might even still be the most used. WinRAR possibly is the most used now. 7zip is superior than both in every way (eg: "Best").

thanks, i always seem to learn something from your comments lol. gonna have to switch over

Listen if you care.

Why use both? Is there some feature that WinRAR has that 7zip cannot do?

And if it's hassling you so much, maybe you should buy it :P

winrar can do rar5..and sfx archives

and I never buy software....ever...

winrar can do rar5..and sfx archives

and I never buy software....ever...

If you never buy software, ever, why not stick to free, open source software?

You obviously value WinRAR enough to go out of your way to crack it. It's not worth paying the devs for their time to make it?

If you never buy software, ever, why not stick to free, open source software?

You obviously value WinRAR enough to go out of your way to crack it. It's not worth paying the devs for their time to make it?

nope

hardware you have to pay for...software should be free  :)

nope

hardware you have to pay for...software should be free   :)

Well then, it should be easy. Only ever use FOSS :)

I use 7zip because Winrar is annoying (nagware)

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home