"New Substance Is Harder Than Diamond, Scientists Say"

Mbarton

-snip-

Yeh, i was pretty sure those things were harder :/, since an article claimed the such.

Groomlake Authority

I like how they completely forgot to mention that it actually is ferromagnetic, I mean that's crazy by itself, also it can be created at room temperatures and not require insane pressures to make it either. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

No, graphene holds the record, and it does exist in nature. Simply sheer off a layer of graphite and you have graphene.

Graphene wasn't harder than diamond last time I checked?

Also, still carbon.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Still carbon, and not found in nature. Diamonds still hold the record.

I have no problem believing they can produce diamonds, but I don't believe it's cost effective.

diamonds are worthless anyway. The only reason it has a value is because the diamond mining industry only extracts x diamonds a year.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

There are other man-made materials that are stronger than diamond already though, just saying. But as far as natural ones diamond probably is the top one. Except in space I've heard there are some materials tougher than diamonds like on comets or so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I tried finding better evidence to support that but couldn't find any. The "harder than diamond" claim in those headlines might just be inaccurate click-bait. The actual articles doesn't even talk about hardness.

It is certainly stronger than diamond though.

There are some materials that have been confirmed to be harder than diamond (like wurtzite BN), but I am not sure if any of them are natural.

I was going to make a penis joke but someone beat me to it...

I tried finding better evidence to support that but couldn't find any. The "harder than diamond" claim in those headlines might just be inaccurate click-bait. The actual articles doesn't even talk about hardness.

It is certainly stronger than diamond though.

There are some materials that have been confirmed to be harder than diamond (like wurtzite BN), but I am not sure if any of them are natural.

I was going to make a penis joke but someone beat me to it...

It's been supplanted by Carbyne, but here's an article and study from Columbia university http://engineering.columbia.edu/even-defects-graphene-strongest-material-world

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

diamonds are worthless anyway. The only reason it has a value is because the diamond mining industry only extracts x diamonds a year.

Rarity is sufficient to assign a value. Besides, since it has been the hardest material known to man for a long time, it did have its uses.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's been supplanted by Carbyne, but here's an article and study from Columbia university http://engineering.columbia.edu/even-defects-graphene-strongest-material-world

But again, that talks about strength and not hardness.

Diamond is incredibly hard, but not very strong.

Rarity is sufficient to assign a value. Besides, since it has been the hardest material known to man for a long time, it did have its uses.

It's still used a lot. I wouldn't even be surprised if more diamonds are used for tools (cutting and drilling tools among others) over jewelry.

But again, that talks about strength and not hardness.

Diamond is incredibly hard, but not very strong.

It's still used a lot. I wouldn't even be surprised if more diamonds are used for tools (cutting and drilling tools among others) over jewelry.

It talks about both. Graphene can be used to cut a diamond.

It talks about both. Graphene can be used to cut a diamond.

None of the words "cut", "diamond" or "hard" appear in any of your links, except in the headline which might just be click-bait (because the articles themselves don't talk about it).

I will totally agree that it is stronger, but I am skeptical about it being harder than diamond.

Dimond are not useless,

Im surprised no one here has thought about how we use diamonds for drilling. Those  get worn away really fast this could help you make the drills last longer and save money

Diamond-drill-bit.gif

And even in smaller drill bits and dremel like the ones i use. rt6-10-pc-rotary-tool-accessory-fits-dre

I think this could have real implications,

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

I do agree diamonds are worthless. But why are they so damn expensive? And only women loves those shitty shining objects.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

Just let me know when they discover Adamantium.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I do agree diamonds are worthless. But why are they so damn expensive? And only women loves those shitty shining objects.

They voluntarily limit the extraction rate so that only x amount is produced every year creating a false demand. They could give a diamond to everyone in the world if they wanted and still have plenty.

I never said it didnt have use. But the value placed on diamond rings is a scam.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/02/AR2010070203990.html

They have. It's called Carbyne.

Will do!!! lol

What would you do with it? 

I  have GameServer`s And VOIP servers the only price is that you have fun on them. 

Will do!!! lol

What would you do with it?

Full on wolverine skeleton obviously :P

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Oh, that's pretty cool but I wish they would have come up with a kickass name though. :(

630409ab75c1e8d80be5b72bdaf9bb623feed35c