[US-Amazon] PNY 128GB USB 3.0 for $25.00

Moondrelor

Great deal for a film/music drive to plug into a router or TV that supports file sharing. 

Holy shit how do I do that?

no point in buying a huge USB if the transfer speeds are crap...

just buy an external SSD or something

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Holy shit how do I do that?

Most routers have a USB port that you can plug a drive into. Some routers support creating a network drive that you can access (similar to a Shared local folder on Windows) or you can just type in the Router's IP address in a network page in Windows Explorer. So most likely "\\192.168.1.1"

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/share-usb-drive-wi-fi-router/

Some TVs also support storage and playback from USB devices. 

Most routers have a USB port that you can plug a drive into. Some routers support creating a network drive that you can access (similar to a Shared local folder on Windows) or you can just type in the Router's IP address in a network page in Windows Explorer. So most likely "\\192.168.1.1"

http://www.groovypost.com/howto/share-usb-drive-wi-fi-router/

Some TVs also support storage and playback from USB devices. 

OH OK makes sense. I setup the router for my home network and always wondered what the USB 3.0 port on the back was for. Thanks :D

OH OK makes sense. I setup the router for my home network and always wondered what the USB 3.0 port on the back was for. Thanks :D

I think it can also be used to store firmware revisions, usage/error logs and similar things. 

what are the acutal write/read speeds?

what are the acutal write/read speeds?

estimated 90MB/s write. 200MB/s read a hell of a good deal

no point in buying a huge USB if the transfer speeds are crap...

just buy an external SSD or something

It's USB 3.0... How is that crap?

It's USB 3.0... How is that crap?

because its the speed of the nand and flash controller that are the bottleneck...not USB3

thats why the corsair usb drives that use a SATA controller are so much faster, making the large 128 and 256 capacities actually useful

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

because its the speed of the nand and flash controller that are the bottleneck...not USB3

thats why the corsair usb drives that use a SATA controller are so much faster, making the large 128 and 256 capacities actually useful

I understand that.

The USB get's 130mb/s+

Are you just calling it crap or is that just shit in your opinion? 130mb/s is better than most peoples HDD's...

I understand that.

The USB get's 130mb/s+

Are you just calling it crap or is that just shit in your opinion? 130mb/s is better than most peoples HDD's...

i dont see where you're getting 130MB/s from...

Crystal_02.png

Spoiler

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Thanks, I was with enderman as I've owned some shitty usb drives in my time but this is pretty cool

I'm not really fussed about high speed USB drives. I just use them for storing documents rather than large files. But yeah, this seems like a very good deal for a drive to transfer or carry videos around on. (or a Windows install drive. I could actually do with one of those)

i dont see where you're getting 130MB/s from...

Crystal_02.png

you could try looking up something on the actual drive people are looking at.

b87fyh.jpg

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/743064-Decent-Price-and-Speed-PNY-128GB-Turbo-USB-3-0

and there are plenty of cases where a large 128 or 256 gb flash drive is a better plan than buying an external ssd at several times the price. backups for example don't need to be blazing fast.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

you could try looking up something on the actual drive people are looking at.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/743064-Decent-Price-and-Speed-PNY-128GB-Turbo-USB-3-0

and there are plenty of cases where a large 128 or 256 gb flash drive is a better plan than buying an external ssd at several times the price. backups for example don't need to be blazing fast.

scarring-from-burns.jpg

Just ordered one, ill add my own speeds when I get it for anyone wondering :P 

This was $20 not long ago. Personally, I wouldn't count on binned usb flash memory if "crucial backups" was the plan. If I wanted the storage, I would have gone with a Toshiba HDD for 2.5 cents per GB. Dem 2-year warranties and 128MB of cache doe. #7200

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

I have this drive. I get around 80MB/s on the reads and writes on average. Not blazing fast, but still as fast as an older hard drive which is good enough for a flash drive for me being I came from a USB 2.0 flash drive which only got 15 MB/s or so....

It's really perfect for basic tasks. And it's cheap. Amazes me how much storage you can get for so little these days.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1