Nvidia's 900 series graphics cards have increased security compared to previous generations

AlTech

I just wanted to share something I found out when looking through articles about nvidia gpu performance and kepler performing worse with newer drivers.

EDIT: I know the article is quite old but it's still useful nonetheless.

But this is incredible.

gtx-960-primary-100563782-gallery.png

NVidia's 900 series  

require signed firmware images, so Nouveau’s developers can’t work with them, as first reported byPhoronix. Noveau developer Ben Skeggs explained: 

“Nvidia aren't playing nice yet so there's not much more that can be done at this point... I spent a lot of time trying to find a viable way of doing gr ctxsw without signed firmware, but the "security" restrictions… are excessive and go beyond what'd be necessary to protect the host from malicious firmware. This newer Nvidia hw is VERY open-source unfriendly.”

So Nvidia claims they have increased security but it looks like Nvidia has decided to slow down the Linux Community's progress.

Nvidia, F U.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2911459/why-nvidia-graphics-cards-are-the-worst-for-open-source-but-the-best-for-linux-gaming.html

Opinion - Read: Nvidia Bullshitting us once again. But Nvidia still offers better drivers than AMD for linux. And better performance.

Thanks for reading. Leave a comment below!

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

wot? i don't even...

No really, what is this? Is this bad or good? It's just way too much info.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

This is surprising how?

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

wot? i don't even...

No really, what is this? Is this bad or good? It's just way too much info.

Basically nvidia is spewing bullshit and making excuses to slow down linux progress.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

I would rather have better security and less risk of having a driver update be a virus than to have some Linux developers complain less.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

"Apr 17, 2015 7:01 AM"

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

-snip-

I like the one comment

"fuckvidia"  B)

I do like my 760 though....

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I like the one comment

"fuckvidia"  B)

I do like my 760 though....

I like my 970, however I wish it had an actual 4gb of ram. 

#shotsfired.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I like my 970, however I wish it had an actual 4gb of ram. 

#shotsfired.

Why not get an R9 390 and get half as much RAM as your PC in your GPU? All of which can be used without the last 512MB being slower because lol fuck you?

Why not get an R9 390 and get half as much RAM as your PC in your GPU? All of which can be used without the last 512MB being slower because lol fuck you?

Because I has no moneys. I plan on going AMD next time around because Nvidia decides to outright lie to people about their spec's.

(fuck the defenders, that wasn't a "mistake". It was an outright fucking lie and you fucking know it)

Because I has no moneys. I plan on going AMD next time around because Nvidia decides to outright lie to people about their spec's.

(fuck the defenders, that wasn't a "mistake". It was an outright fucking lie and you fucking know it)

Well, at least Intel hasn't lied since 2005... right? :D

Well, at least Intel hasn't lied since 2005... right? :D

Lies or not, they have the better hardware. AMD just hasn't kept up in terms of IPC and whatnot.

Lies or not, they have the better hardware. AMD just hasn't kept up in terms of IPC and whatnot.

Back in the P4 era, AMD was kicking Intel's asses in performance. Now the opposite is true.

Although, in the GPU space, for the most part AMD is kicking Nvidia's asses in performance. Only problem is Nvidia is winning. I am thinking about getting an AMD GPU, but not for my main PC.

Because AMD has never ever "lied" right?

The 970 you guys were bitching about does not have any inherent issues for the purpose it was intended for.

Because AMD has never ever "lied" right?

The 970 you guys were bitching about does not have any inherent issues for the purpose it was intended for.

Try modding skyrim, or playing any game that uses over 3.5 gb of Vram, then tell me it doesn't have issues.

Try modding skyrim, or playing any game that uses over 3.5 gb of Vram, then tell me it doesn't have issues.

It doesn't. We had this discussion for tons of pages on that 970 thread. Even other users of the card showed video proof that nothing happens out of the ordinary.

It doesn't. We had this discussion for tons of pages on that 970 thread. Even other users of the card showed video proof that nothing happens out of the ordinary.

My skyrim, GTA, and Dying Light experiences beg to differ.

Skyrim outright crashes if I go over 3.5 with mods. Particularly grass mods for some reason.

My skyrim, GTA, and Dying Light experiences beg to differ.

Skyrim outright crashes if I go over 3.5 with mods. Particularly grass mods for some reason.

Modded Skyrim is volatile to begin with.

@Razzaa (hopefully I tag him correctly) posted videos of him playing Dying Light and Ass Creed: Unity and his VRAM usage would even get up to 3.8 sometimes. YEs, his FPS would drop, but he never had the super low FPS drops people were complaining about. So there had to be a bottleneck somewhere else in the other people's systems who just all of a sudden had these mythical issues.

@Razzaa (hopefully I tag him correctly) posted videos of him playing Dying Light and Ass Creed: Unity and his VRAM usage would even get up to 3.8 sometimes. YEs, his FPS would drop, but he never had the super low FPS drops people were complaining about. So there had to be a bottleneck somewhere else in the other people's systems who just all of a sudden had these mythical issues.

Maybe I received a miracle card!!!!! Lmao

DL @ 1440p. Mem usage over 3.5gb the entire video

AC:U memory usage as high as 4.0gb

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

People like to make a big stink over nothing. Its more of a PEBCAK issue.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

I'm not sure this is such a show-stopping problem tbh. But it is a dick move.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

The over 3.5GB issue has been proven to be BS over and over and over again. The performance degradation is right in line with the 980 and frame time variance barely moves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It doesn't have issues. I've taken my GTX 970 up to 3.8GB of vRAM in Skyrim with mods :P

Edit: Also, GTA V:

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

It doesn't have issues. I've taken my GTX 970 up to 3.8GB of vRAM in Skyrim with mods :P

Edit: Also, GTA V:

Trik doesn't take well to facts which conflict with his opinion of Nvidia.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd