CX PSU Questions

iamdarkyoshi

So I want to buy a CX PSU. Why? So I can put it through its paces. Running it in hot ambient temps, running it at full load for extended periods of time, ect.

If it lasts more than a month, then maybe people on the forums will complain less about them sucking. Sure there are far better options, but I have seen people suggest expensive PSUs for little office PCs and stuff.

I want to put one through heavy load and see what happens. If it lasts without issues, that would be cool, and if it violently detonates in a shower of sparks and flame, that would be cool too.

What one should I go with?

Also, if anyone wants to donate their PSU, no matter how terrible, I might as well put it through its paces. I threw away about 200 pounds of old PSUs, should have kept them lol

Get a CX750M.  It's the one I've seen most on the forums.  Make sure you have a fire extinguisher also.  And don't burn your house down.  Good luck!

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

The thing that ticks people off is the 30c max operating temp

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Get a CX750M.  It's the one I've seen most on the forums.  Make sure you have a fire extinguisher also.  And don't burn your house down.  Good luck!

Ooh, spendy. I might have to wait till that goes on sale xD

CX430 and 750M

Edit: I can donate the PSU from my dad's old PC, just to see how shitty (or good) those OEM ones are. Just pay shipping cuz that thing is heavy.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.6 GHz

Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus VII Hero

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB @ 1903 MHz

GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX Titan X @ 1100 / 7030 MHz
Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D with the Ghetto LED 5000 lighting kit
Storage: 1TB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Display: Dell P2415Q
Cooling: Corsair H100i
Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB (Cherry MX Reds)
Mouse: Sharkk MMO Pro

Spoiler
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550
Gigabyte GA-G41MT-S2PT
Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2
G.Skill Value 8 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master N200
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Insignia 300W
Windows 7 Enterprise

Spoiler
Intel Core i3 3240
Asus P8Z77-V LX
4790K stock cooler with Cooler Master HTK-002 thermal paste
Corsair XMS3 4 GB (1333 MHz)
Cooler Master HAF 912
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
Thermaltake TR2 430W
Windows 10 Pro

And so maybe I would try running it with a faster fan inside. Science.

People liking silence is a thing and having rooms with over 30c ambient is also a thing

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I've been using my CX600M for over a year now, with my pc on probably 16-18 hours straight per day, not a single issue with it so far. (Specs in signature)

Though in the future I would like to get a better PSU, perhaps a fully modular one with sleeved cables.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

put the CX430M and CX500/M and CX600/M

i am using the CX430M here in my HTPC

no complains

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

CX 750. It's the one that really annoys me, as 750W is complete overkill for anything less than a "High-end build" and there are better choices to protect your 1000$+ investment. The CX430 is great for office computers (I use one) and the 600/500W are fine for budget builds. Also, the CX 430/600 seem to get better reviews than the 750W.

Hello there, fellow dark theme users

"Be excellent to each other and party on dudes." - Abraham Lincoln    #wiiumasterrace

The CX bashing has gotten out of hand. A lot of people that say it's terrible don't know why it's considered bad for gaming builds, so they just say it's bad all round. 

The PSU itself is actually okay, provided it's used for the correct type of system (office, HTPC and other basic uses). 

It's not going to blow up, and it's not likely take components with it if it does die, it's not a no-name $10 unit. It's also not guaranteed that it will die if you run a high end system on it, so running a single test doesn't really help that much. The issue is that it's simply not rated to operate over 30C ambient (not a difficult temperature to get to), and the capacitors and components in general are not designed to take heavy loads. 

I'd expect crashing, artefacts, buggyness and general instability if you push it, but I wouldn't really expect an outright death of the PSU unless you're really harsh on it. 

The CX bashing has gotten out of hand. A lot of people that say it's terrible don't know why it's considered bad for gaming builds, so they just say it's bad all round. 

The PSU itself is actually okay, provided it's used for the correct type of system (office, HTPC and other basic uses). 

It's not going to blow up, and it's not likely take components with it if it does die, it's not a no-name $10 unit. It's also not guaranteed that it will die if you run a high end system on it, so running a single test doesn't really help that much. The issue is that it's simply not rated to operate over 30C ambient (not a difficult temperature to get to), and the capacitors and components in general are not designed to take heavy loads. 

I'd expect crashing, artefacts, buggyness and general instability if you push it, but I wouldn't really expect an outright death of the PSU unless you're really harsh on it. 

And this was pretty much was I hoped to prove. But the problem with this is that I didnt know they cost so much...

And this was pretty much was I hoped to prove. But the problem with this is that I didnt know they cost so much...

Remember though that the /Ms and revision 3s of the CX are much better, though still not great performers electrically and not great for the money.

I'd suggest getting a used CX600 or CX500 (likely to be an older one) and run it through the world. I don't like the CX series mostly because, on sites like Newegg and Amazon, the older and newer revisions are often clumped into one group, meaning you're likely to be paying for the wrong product.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

the CX psu is ok for light workload like office works,internet browsing and stuff like that,(not gaming-overclock-rendering) the problem is the maximum operating temps and the builds quality components, since the capacitors are not rated for 105c, but for 85c, made from CWT. Keep in mind that many 600w/750w/850w+ models are older gen GS psu from corsair, and they are consider better than the rest of them.

The site has changed....

A Little bit of common sense here guys,the CS/CX lines are not meant for high-end gaming/OC'ing/Heavy workload builds, that is why the HXRM/RMi/AX/AXi lines are here.

The lower tier units aren't bad when used in the correct way ie: office/email/web use...

The general populous doesn't grasp the difference, they just see "80+ Gold, fully modular 600w" or whatever and assume it will be great for their gaming build because it's relatively cheaper than others...

A Little bit of common sense here guys,the CS/CX lines are not meant for high-end gaming/OC'ing/Heavy workload builds, that is why the HXRM/RMi/AX/AXi lines are here.

The lower tier units aren't bad when used in the correct way ie: office/email/web use...

The general populous doesn't grasp the difference, they just see "80+ Gold, fully modular 600w" or whatever and assume it will be great for their gaming build because it's relatively cheaper than others...

600 Jiggawatts for 29.99$?!? GIFF ME! /s

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

So I want to buy a CX PSU. Why? So I can put it through its paces. Running it in hot ambient temps, running it at full load for extended periods of time, ect.

If it lasts more than a month, then maybe people on the forums will complain less about them sucking. 

They'll still complain. Guaranteed. The only thing that will become of your experiment is advancing your own knowledge. 

Sounds like a neat test, though. I have no problems with CX. I had one with a 4690k and R9 290 for a while. 

Gotta say, the CX discussion in this thread is very mature and has a lot of good factual information for those who are considering the CX PSU in their system. It is refreshing to see rational conversation like this in this great community, where the responses are well thought out with a good reasoning behind it. It's definitely a lot better than seeing those type of hit and run post which doesn't really help the OP for the most part. All it really does is a disservice to the community, nothing more.  

+rep to those guys (you know who you are)

Well... there's a few outliers, I hope they get my point :)

Gotta say, the CX discussion in this thread is very mature and has a lot of good factual information for those who are considering the CX PSU in their system. It is refreshing to see rational conversation like this in this great community, where the responses are well thought out with a good reasoning behind it. It's definitely a lot better than seeing those type of hit and run post which doesn't really help the OP for the most part. All it really does is a disservice to the community, nothing more.  

+rep to those guys (you know who you are)

Well... there's a few outliers, I hope they get my point :)

Oh I totally agree. I mean sure, the CX is not meant for a 5960x with two GPUs, it is meant to be a simple, affordable PSU for simple computers. But I do not understand why people go ahead and bash it. it is like saying that a prius is not a good car because it cant climb a muddy off-road hill. Well of course it cant, its not supposed to!

What?

Watch the ending.

I have seen it plenty of times and to be honest, the video does not help a whole lot in threads about power supply choices. Sure, it makes a point, but not in a positive way.

Honestly, it depends on the build.

Say you're using a 4460 and a GTX 660, a CX-series PSU would be fine.

Or just a home theater PC that uses onboard graphics and houses a bunch of hard drives that are only occasionally used...

Or just a home theater PC that uses onboard graphics and houses a bunch of hard drives that are only occasionally used...

Speaking of which, I need to replace the fan on my mediaserver's PSU. its a stock cooler master case PSU... scary...