Ransomware reaches Linux

GoodBytes

@QueenDemetria. Your precious Linux based OS won't be so malware free forever. :P

welp

there goes the excuse of linux being safer than windows

But it also means it's just as susceptible as any other OS and its lack of market share is the only thing protecting it.

Like Godlygamer23 has said (see last quoted post), every OS is susceptible to running malicious code.

Its just the security you put behind it that will stop it from being able to do anything (and potentially execute).

For example, in Windows the permission table is a bit... average. The average user can run something and potentially have that code have file access to program files/user registry tree/etc. which can then launch things as the system on startup.

I'm unsure about OSX security 100% as I've never had to delve into it properly but being UNIX based I would imagine there is more of a restriction on system locations/etc.

As for GNU+Linux, unless you are running everything as root or an elevated account (bad practice across all OS') you are generally pretty okay (as long as you keep ontop of system/application updates).

My PC with Windows at home is a lot more secure than your average Windows PC, due to running a Windows server box that uses applocker (and constantly gets all the security updates it needs) and everything needs to be authenticated through the server (which runs things in a sandbox for about a day and a half for suspicious activity).

So that Windows environment is arguably very secure, with Windows being known for it's "viruses/etc." it proves my point that as long as you have proper security measures you are going to be safe (most of the time).

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Like Godlygamer23 has said (see last quoted post), every OS is susceptible to running malicious code.

Its just the security you put behind it that will stop it from being able to do anything (and potentially execute).

For example, in Windows the permission table is a bit... average. The average user can run something and potentially have that code have file access to program files/user registry tree/etc. which can then launch things as the system on startup.

I'm unsure about OSX security 100% as I've never had to delve into it properly but being UNIX based I would imagine there is more of a restriction on system locations/etc.

As for GNU+Linux, unless you are running everything as root or an elevated account (bad practice across all OS') you are generally pretty okay (as long as you keep ontop of system/application updates).

My PC with Windows at home is a lot more secure than your average Windows PC, due to running a Windows server box that uses applocker (and constantly gets all the security updates it needs) and everything needs to be authenticated through the server (which runs things in a sandbox for about a day and a half for suspicious activity).

So that Windows environment is arguably very secure, with Windows being known for it's "viruses/etc." it proves my point that as long as you have proper security measures you are going to be safe (most of the time).

Calm down, it was a joke.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Did someone here said that Linux had a ransomware?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/482143-ransomware-reaches-linux/

oh yes someone did; to that i have to say:

objection_by_phoenix_is_wright.png

First: the Linux.Encoder.1ransomware is not a security hole in Linux, it depends on a security hole in the Magento web e-commerce platform

Second: that security hole can only be exploited on releases prior to february 9 2015 cause it has been patched ever since

And third: unlike other ransomware on other OSs where you only solution is to pay the ransom (advice brought to you by yours truly, the FBI), in this case you can easily recover your precious data easily!

And that third points is what brings me here today my dear friend. After reading the article, it's actually easy to get rid of it, unless you've been depending on OSX and Windows for long time and you never ever used that esoteric tool known as the command line. Seems like the ransomware generates the encryption key locally on the victim's platform based of the libc's rand() function seeded its the current system time-stamp. Knowing this Bitdefender has come up with a nice little tool to retrieve that key, and they're giving it away for free (madness!). If your curious about the process check out the source.

source: www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-fix-linux-encoder-ransomware/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

K

Wouldn't this fit better in general discussion, no real news or reviews

Wouldn't this fit better in general discussion, no real news or reviews

how can this not be news? it was news when they discovered it, knowing that someone found way to get rid of it should count as one too, no?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Someone's mad that something happened to their "precious" operating system.

"precious" still safe

I like how you linked page 3 of the discussion

oops, was checking out first if this hadn't pop out in the discussion, will change it

"precious" still safe

oops, was checking out first if this hadn't pop out in the discussion, will change it

I can't say too much about Linux and shit but I can tell you that if you use common sense on Windows, it goes a long way.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

This isnt news...post it in the thread in question if you want to debate the matter.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

Did someone here said that Linux had a ransomware?

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/482143-ransomware-reaches-linux/

oh yes someone did; to that i have to say:

objection_by_phoenix_is_wright.png

First: the Linux.Encoder.1ransomware is not a security hole in Linux, it depends on a security hole in the Magento web e-commerce platform

Second: that security hole can only be exploited on releases prior to february 9 2015 cause it has been patched ever since

And third: unlike other ransomware on other OSs where you only solution is to pay the ransom (advice brought to you by yours truly, the FBI), in this case you can easily recover your precious data easily!

And that third points is what brings me here today my dear friend. After reading the article, it's actually easy to get rid of it, unless you've been depending on OSX and Windows for long time and you never ever used that esoteric tool known as the command line. Seems like the ransomware generates the encryption key locally on the victim's platform based of the libc's rand() function seeded its the current system time-stamp. Knowing this Bitdefender has come up with a nice little tool to retrieve that key, and they're giving it away for free (madness!). If your curious about the process check out the source.

source: www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-fix-linux-encoder-ransomware/

As long there is hunans, there will be hackers. As long there is securities, there will be vulnerables. Nothing in this world is safe buddy. If the gorvernment can get hack, then that means any OS can get hack as well.

As long there is hunans, there will be hackers. As long there is securities, there will be vulnerables. Nothing in this world is safe buddy. If the gorvernment can get hack, then that means any OS can get hack as well.

Not exactly. in the future the programs will write themselves, meaning no mistakes or vulnerabilities

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

This isnt news...post it in the thread in question if you want to debate the matter.

This is in the wrong section, but answer it anyways, its not for you to say this. Thats why admins exist

Hello This is my "signature". DO YOU LIKE BORIS????? http://strawpoll.me/4669614

This is in the wrong section, but answer it anyways, its not for you to say this. Thats why admins exist

k

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

I got a variety of crypto security updates a few days ago, not sure if that is related to this or not.

Lord of Helium.