Nvidia GTX 950 or 960?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions on whether I should get a 950 or 960, as the title says. I'm content with 30/40 fps at 1080p, and play games such as Runescape, Rocket League, Lego, and at the most GTA 5 at high (not ultra) settings. Heck, I'm fine with medium settings for some games. I'd also like to know whether power consumption between the 2 cards is a big difference, as I want to be as energy efficient as possible. In other words I don't want to waste money on a card that won't be optimized to it's full potential. Here are my other specs if it helps:

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 

ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

16GB Kingston DUAL-DDR3 

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX

Many thanks.

What's your budget? I'll make a PcPartpicker for you.  You shoud be able to fit a 390 in there.

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

R9 380

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

R9 380, and the difference in power consumption between 380 and 960 is around a light bulb

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to get opinions on whether I should get a 950 or 960, as the title says. I'm content with 30/40 fps at 1080p, and play games such as Runescape, Rocket League, Lego, and at the most GTA 5 at high (not ultra) settings. Heck, I'm fine with medium settings for some games. I'd also like to know whether power consumption between the 2 cards is a big difference, as I want to be as energy efficient as possible. In other words I don't want to waste money on a card that won't be optimized to it's full potential. Here are my other specs if it helps:

Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690 

ASUS® Z97-P: ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs

16GB Kingston DUAL-DDR3 

250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

2TB WD BLACK WD2003FZEX

Many thanks.

What do you need 16GB for with those games? 8GB will be more than enough.

Also, AMD is a better route at that price.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If you're going to choose between the two, get the 960. The difference in power consumption is pretty negligible and the performance bump is worth it. If you want to be as energy efficient as possible, then just use integrated graphics :P

Edit: Lots of people in this thread are recommending the R9 380, which is also a really great option you should consider.

I actually couldn't underclock my 5 year old GPU to make it as slow as a next-gen console.

#pcmasterraceproblems

~Slick

Ok thankyou guys, it's only between the 950 and 960 I'm afraid, the uk based site I'm ordering from doesn't include AMD in this particular build. Also, there's 16gb ram for video editing.

Ok thankyou guys, it's only between the 950 and 960 I'm afraid, the uk based site I'm ordering from doesn't include AMD in this particular build. Also, there's 16gb ram for video editing.

Are you buying a pre-build? Build it yourself, you'll have a better PC when you're done.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

GTX 950 or R9 380...or better...used R9 280/280X...GTX 770...you know!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

960 its obviously better, or are you asking if its better price to performance?

970 or 290X

CPU: 6700K Case: Corsair Air 740 CPU Cooler: H110i GTX Storage: 2x250gb SSD 960gb SSD PSU: Corsair 1200watt GPU: EVGA 1080ti FTW3 RAM: 16gb DDR4 

Other Stuffs: Red sleeved cables, White LED lighting 2 noctua fans on cpu cooler and Be Quiet PWM fans on case.

960 its obviously better, or are you asking if its better price to performance?

Better price to performance please :)

GTX 950 will get you by with the titles and settings you've mentioned...would depend on pricing if the 960 is worth it.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

you got some pretty good hardware there... a 950 just wouldnt do it Justice, i would go with a 960 (only like $10-$20 more) or higher - a 970 would be great if you can afford it... but they start at like $300+

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

Build it yourself. Seriously, that's the easiest way to get the best performance for your money.

I'd say 950. If you play SOME triple A games then 960. 

01101100 01110110 01101100 00100000 00110101 00100000 01101101 01100001 01100111 01101001 01101011 01100001 01110010 01110000 

I'd say 950. If you play SOME triple A games then 960. 

I will rarely play AAA titles. Literally I have Gta 5 and Hitman Absolution- I won't be playing them everyday, so I think a 950 will suffice :)

I will rarely play AAA titles. Literally I have Gta 5 and Hitman Absolution- I won't be playing them everyday, so I think a 950 will suffice :)

You're nailing me. It doesn't matter if you use it once a day, once a week, or once a year. The settings at which you will be able to play a game won't change. A 960 will last longer in its ability to play the games you want as they are released, something to consider.

You're nailing me. It doesn't matter if you use it once a day, once a week, or once a year. The settings at which you will be able to play a game won't change. A 960 will last longer in its ability to play the games you want as they are released, something to consider.

That is understood sir, it's just that I'm about 10 years behind on games- I've never played Fallout 3 or even the first Assassins Creed before! I'd like to play those first and upgrade when the time is right. I don't buy games on release either, I'm a very casual gamer. Thankyou for your input though :)

what the price difference between the 950 & 960 where you live? 

No Excuses, Play Like A Champion!!!  

That is understood sir, it's just that I'm about 10 years behind on games- I've never played Fallout 3 or even the first Assassins Creed before! I'd like to play those first and upgrade when the time is right. I don't buy games on release either, I'm a very casual gamer. Thankyou for your input though :)

The trick with older games is they don't play well with modern operating systems and drivers. Even those played off of Steam. I'm actually building a vintage PC at the moment to combat that problem. Fallout New Vegas plays relatively well though, and Skyrim plays like silk.

what the price difference between the 950 & 960 where you live? 

About £20