Why do the majority of console games run at 30 FPS?

Not_Jamie

So I am a PC user and my brother is an avid console user, he is not delusional in thinking they are superior, but rather, likes what the consoles offer in an easy to use package. I am currently playing through Dead Space and when talking to him a conversation started that I want to get some opinions on.

Whenever the 30fps point comes across when talking about consoles inevitably leads to the lack of performance with the hardware. Now I understand this approach wouldn't work with the last gen consoles, as their hardware didn't change for 8 years and we saw massive leaps in graphical fidelity at the release of it. But I started thinking as I was playing through Dead Space, how god damn good the game looks, a game which came out in 2008, sure it has the odd blurry texture but apart from that it is still fully immersive and extremely fun to play.

So why do developers insist on using the latest and greatest techniques, I mean surely Dead Space would run on these newer consoles with ease at 60 FPS and also be able to receive a bump in texture size etc. Console gamers are constantly saying graphics don't matter, and although said most times out of spite... To a degree its right.

From everything I have seen this shouldn't be impossible, they can manage the resources of a console extremely well being closed systems, so why do they insist on approaching games trying to maximize graphic fidelity even if it comes at the cost of a stable 30fps. The only thing I can come up with (and have no clue about developing) is optimization is an exponential process, meaning if it takes a game company a month to get a new engine/game to run at 30 fairly well it would take even more time to get it running well enough to maintain 60 say 3 months.

What do you guys think? Why do they insist on 30 fps and why not have an optional 60 fps mode, my brother tells me The last of us Remastered has such a feature. And he admits it would be cool to have the option because some games struggle way too or are extremely fast past. Even starting from the very beginning of making a game, why do they pursue graphics at the cost of frames.

The worst case of this I remember is Bloodborne it really struggles a lot of times to keep a solid 30 fps.

I find the majority of laptop gamers more perplexing than console gamers. Just about every conversation when asking them about their computer equals I bought it for portability, yet they cannot remember the last time they even lifted it from their desk.

Because pretty graphics sell games. It's been that way forever. Devs and publishers would rather have a game look better and sacrifice framerate in the name of sales (with the exception of shooters and fighting games that need 60fps to be playable)

Why do the majority of console games run at 30 FPS?

btOBZVp.jpg

Edit:I did read the artical...Just like to troll.

Personally I'm a PC gamer, whatever can turn a PC more into a console however (like Steam Controller as an example) I'm all in for.

Edited by Mcmole

My new Gaming PC.

Spoiler

Case: Coolmaster CM690III, Motherboard: Asus Z170-AR, CPU: I5 6600K 4.6Ghz, OS: Windows 10 HP 64 bit, RAM: X1 8GB G.Skill DDR4, GPU: Galax GTX 960 (Overclocked), Storage: Kingston V300 SSD 120GB(OS), X2 1TB 5400RPM HDD, 500GB Samsung 7200RPM HD, PSU: Cougar RS 750 Watt, Peripherals: Logitech G910 Orion Spark,  World Of Tanks Edition 2014 DeathAdder Razer Mouse And Mouse Pad, Sennheiser HD 518. , Palsonic tftv6042fHD, Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers

hardware limitations 

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Honestly i dont think consoles will go above 30fps, almost ever... with 4k tvs becoming cheaper and more available, consoles will be more pushed for gaming at 4k 30fps rather then 1080p or 4k at 60fps cause console gamers are looking for good fps in the games, rather they are looking for higher res or better graphics.

Next gen consoles will be 4k gaming capable. But not 60fps

At 30 fps you get twice as long to render. If you released a game that looked like it was from 2008 today then you get slammed in the reviews. The customer is expecting an ever improving situation when it comes to graphics fidelity so the industry keeps using all the performance is has to do that. Not to mention the fact that once the gap between PC and console gets large 30 fps is about the only way they could even sell games.

Because pretty graphics sell games. It's been that way forever. Devs and publishers would rather have a game look better and sacrifice framerate in the name of sales (with the exception of shooters and fighting games that need 60fps to be playable)

Yea I thought about this, but long gone are the days of games selling with bullet points on the back with destructible physics etc. I guess the point is I am not disappointed with dead space a game that is over 6 years old, a game from 2010 looks even better. If a new game released today that ran at 60 with this approach i don't think many people would scream out the graphics look dated.

I can honestly say while new tittles are nice, I can play games form 6 years ago or more happily on pc.

I find the majority of laptop gamers more perplexing than console gamers. Just about every conversation when asking them about their computer equals I bought it for portability, yet they cannot remember the last time they even lifted it from their desk.

We all know that the hardware is incapable. Few people actually think of this- consoles benefit from TVs being able to interpolate frames to deliver a smooth like gaming experience. Of course, interpolation isn't perfect and can be weird at times, but if it's able to trick your eyes into thinking it's 60hz, for 120hz, I wouldn't complain too much. 

btOBZVp.jpg

Edit:I did read the artical...Just like to troll.

Personally I'm a PC gamer, whatever can turn a PC more into a console however (like Steam Controller as an example) I'm all in for.

Yea i am all for it too, I love my xbox controller for games like the witcher 3 etc but I love my KB&M for more fitting games. Best of both worlds I say.

It is still predominantly a hardware thing but (iirc):

30 FPS on a television (what consoles are generally plugged into) looks a lot smoother than 30 FPS on a monitor.

flawlessly stable 30 looks a darn sight better than janky 30-60 FPS

It's probably also to keep the game as small as possible rather than 3+ different sets of textures and models

I do think that many console games should probably come with 2 graphical presets though. one being for stable 30, one for stable 60. that would be interesting.

Aftermarket 980Ti >= Fury X >= Reference 980Ti > Fury > 980 > 390X > 390 >= 970 380X > 380 >= 960 > 950 >= 370 > 750Ti = 360

"The Orange Box" || CPU: i5 4690k || RAM: Kingston Hyper X Fury 16GB || Case: Aerocool DS200 (Orange) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate || Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB + WD Black 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM750 || Mobo: ASUS Z97-A || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

"Unnamed Form Factor Switch" || CPU: i7 6700K || RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Mini ITX (White) || Cooler: Cryorig R1 Ultimate (Green Cover) || Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 1TB || PSU: XFX XTR 550W || Mobo: ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming || GPU: EVGA GTX 970 FTW+

Because when you're looking at screenshots and 30fps video on YouTube (or 60fps video recorded on a PC passed off as console footage) in reviews fidelity is all that matters, once you buy the game and the practical effect of 60fps actually matters its too late ;)

Sex sells...

We all know that the hardware is incapable. Few people actually think of this- consoles benefit from TVs being able to interpolate frames to deliver a smooth like gaming experience. Of course, interpolation isn't perfect and can be weird at times, but if it's able to trick your eyes into thinking it's 60hz, for 120hz, I wouldn't complain too much. 

Interpolation works good on films and tv shows where there is no user input, however, in a game it leads to a very heavily stuttery gameplay because the interpolation can't keep up with the unpredictable movements of the user's interaction with the device. Not to mention the input lag it introduces as well.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Quisque euismod suscipit est, non placerat turpis vestibulum sed. Phasellus et faucibus odio. Donec a nisi at purus porttitor ullamcorper auctor a nibh. Integer id neque a nisi laoreet ultrices id ac augue. Nulla facilisi. Nullam purus elit, dictum quis euismod vitae, mollis non dui. Morbi vehicula neque eu mattis bibendum. Curabitur sed odio tortor. Sed euismod mi in diam volutpat, vitae convallis ipsum mattis. Praesent eleifend faucibus pulvinar. Interdum et malesuada fames ac ante ipsum primis in faucibus. Vestibulum velit nunc, fermentum a libero a, venenatis tempus lectus.

Yea I thought about this, but long gone are the days of games selling with bullet points on the back with destructible physics etc. I guess the point is I am not disappointed with dead space a game that is over 6 years old, a game from 2010 looks even better. If a new game released today that ran at 60 with this approach i don't think many people would scream out the graphics look dated.

I can honestly say while new tittles are nice, I can play games form 6 years ago or more happily on pc.

Remember a game called Fallout 4? People commented that the graphics on it look dated as soon as the trailer came out. And the game isn't even out yet. Old looking/bad graphics cause huge outcries.

I think it also has to do with the fact that the graphical upgrade between this gen and last was minimal. Absolutely nothing compared to the jumps from all previous generations. If consumers don't get the pretty "next-gen" graphics they were promised, they will be unhappy with their purchase which can lead to all kinds of negative things for a company.

You can sell with pretty graphics on a box/ad you cant really do that with an fps

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

You should read the post, not just the title.

This guy @SPAS-ID is a real troll, this is what he constantly do, he jump in to threads w/o reading the content and in most of the cases w/o any decent knowledge and write literally what ever pop up in his head.......

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

It isn't hardware limitation. The hardware doesn't limits fps.

The WiiU has a great number of games running at 1080p 60fps despite being the weakest performing console.

The problem are 2 things:

1- Pretty graphics pushes sales, as mentioned above by others. It doesn't make the game good, but it builds hype, and pushes sales. Nicer graphics are also pushed console sales as well, and that is why console manufacture are encourages devs to deliver on nicer looking games (except for Nintendo), all so that hey can say: "Look on how MY console is better than the other, but MY console!". While silly, it does work.

2- Beat the previous gen. Sadly, computer graphics is a diminishing return. As they need to push graphics that looks much better than the previous console gen, to justify "next gen" (and not understanding that graphics is not what anything "next gen", but rather new possibilities like better AI, more of them, more interactive world, etc), they need to to push visuals that much more, as they were pretty good late last console gen as devs knew how to deeply optimize of the console.

So, if trend continues, as we move forward in each console gen, expect less and less games running at 60fps, and more at 720p 30fps. Who knows, maybe 24fps might be a thing as well.

The WiiU is able to deliver 1080p 60fps on most of its games, because it doesn't try to compete graphically. It knows it's hardware is weak, so it focuses on providing the best gaming experience, which is sadly not valued by most gamers (PC and console gamers).

What i think? Simple answer, Consoles are too weak. I would never buy one.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Too many sacrifices to Graphical fidelity (amount of detail/object count and not as dense particle effects) to achieve 60fps.

Look at Halo5's technical aspects, the particle effects and blooms are at a FURTHER reduced resolution than what textures are (when zoomed, you can see pixelation on particle effects), as its only on screen for a second or less when produced you hardly see pixelation, if at all, so they sacrificed some quality on these effects and saved resources for other things.. They also dynamically change to lower resolutions on the fly for certain aspects (shadows) to maintain 60fps most of the time if not all the time. Due to Sacrifices made.

People wouldn't mind the choice of Low res 60fps or higher res 30fps in a basic options menu on consoles...

I also agree with the... 4K 30fps is gunna mainstream the next consoles, not 1080p 60fps, maybe then we can get that GFX option for 1080p/60 or 4k/30.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I think it's a compromise of hardware capability and pricing. I bet consoles can do 60fps but it sure he'll ain't gonna be $500 for a single unit.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Because the console gamers who say "graphics don't matter" in a pc vs cnsole discussion are often the same people dissing the xbox one for having worse graphics than the ps4. It's simply not true that they don't care in most cases. They're just stuck with the hardware they got for christmas and need to convince themselves it was a good buy when confronted with a better system. Personally I'd much rather have less graphical fidelity and 60 fps, but I have a different mindset than most. The majority of console gamers want to boast about how much better the grass looks on their new console compared to their less lucky friend's last generation hardware.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

the thing is the ps4 and xbone where already dated when they came out and where far behind pc hardware at the time.

One thing to keep in mind , usually , console makers like soney or M$ lose money when selling consoles , which they earn back by selling games.

The 8th gen was different , in a sense that both manufacturers made a little bit of money selling the consoles.

When the xbox 360 and ps3 came out they were on par with then high end PCs .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

So I am a PC user and my brother is an avid console user, he is not delusional in thinking they are superior, but rather, likes what the consoles offer in an easy to use package. I am currently playing through Dead Space and when talking to him a conversation started that I want to get some opinions on.

Whenever the 30fps point comes across when talking about consoles inevitably leads to the lack of performance with the hardware. Now I understand this approach wouldn't work with the last gen consoles, as their hardware didn't change for 8 years and we saw massive leaps in graphical fidelity at the release of it. But I started thinking as I was playing through Dead Space, how god damn good the game looks, a game which came out in 2008, sure it has the odd blurry texture but apart from that it is still fully immersive and extremely fun to play.

So why do developers insist on using the latest and greatest techniques, I mean surely Dead Space would run on these newer consoles with ease at 60 FPS and also be able to receive a bump in texture size etc. Console gamers are constantly saying graphics don't matter, and although said most times out of spite... To a degree its right.

From everything I have seen this shouldn't be impossible, they can manage the resources of a console extremely well being closed systems, so why do they insist on approaching games trying to maximize graphic fidelity even if it comes at the cost of a stable 30fps. The only thing I can come up with (and have no clue about developing) is optimization is an exponential process, meaning if it takes a game company a month to get a new engine/game to run at 30 fairly well it would take even more time to get it running well enough to maintain 60 say 3 months.

What do you guys think? Why do they insist on 30 fps and why not have an optional 60 fps mode, my brother tells me The last of us Remastered has such a feature. And he admits it would be cool to have the option because some games struggle way too or are extremely fast past. Even starting from the very beginning of making a game, why do they pursue graphics at the cost of frames.

The worst case of this I remember is Bloodborne it really struggles a lot of times to keep a solid 30 fps.

Because....they're consoles

Welcome to LTT! Feel free to PM me if you just wanna chat, I love conversation!

If you ever have any audio questions, wether it's software, hardware, or production and theory, feel free to ask me. Odds are I can help you, or get you help. 

This isn't exactly related, but this thread should be an example of how a thread should be. He actually explained his question and provided some background info too. Meanwhile some people post a thread with only one word and expect replies.