Microsoft planning to be a bit more aggressive about the Windows 10 free upgrade next year (for Win7/8 users)

GoodBytes

Win 10 update still auto checks in my updates list... So... I guess they're already starting?  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Thats going to backfire yet again, all they need to do is ease in with the telemetry things give more options to disable them for real, and more bug fixes, W10 is not polished enough.

Also they should give it for free to everyone i dont think anyone will buy W10 anyway the sales after july 2016 will probably be insignificant.

I'm still gonna hold off until the OS is a bit more stable, maybe a service pack (or whatever they call them now) or two.

First big update 1(service pack1 they dont call them service packs anymore since win7 i think) will arrive early november (rumours say).

1. Please elaborate upon its shittiness

2. I don't think I've had a single update since I've had mine, unless they're discrete.

3. All tracking can be disabled with one program (or manual registry modifying)

Improper ram use, program compatibility hasn't caught up, the search function doesn't work properly, I could continue but there is no point. 

As for the updates some are discrete some aren't it depends, but it is being updated (unless you've had the os for a week or two)

The tracking on the other hand can be disabled but is annoying that they put it in at all, windows 10's new features don't intrest me so unless dx12 is in games I'm going to play I may never upgrade especially if vulcan takes off.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Here we go again: Telemetry data collection has nothing to identify you or have anything of value, beside Microsoft for improving their product. The same for Firefox, Chrome, and about any large web site you visit just to scratch the surface.

You must have a very strange definition of "nothing to identify you" to make that statement. The data Microsoft harvest includes multiple unique IDs used to identify you and your computer. Examples of such is the Machine ID, Device ID (machine and device are two different unique IDs by the way), session ID and a bunch of meta information (language, time, region, etc) which could all be used to identify you. In fact, it is possible to identify up to 94.2% of users only by looking at their browser's fingerprint. That's without any of the unique identifiers Microsoft use when collecting info.

We really need to stop this misinformation about "they don't collect anything that could identify you" because it is flat out a lie. Stop lying GoodBytes.

And yes it is true that others do it too, but that does not make it okay for Microsoft to do it. Bringing up what other companies does is just a red herring.

Just upgrade people goddammit 

untitle.JPG

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Well, it's their brand new Windows so I can see it to let people notice the update more, specially since it will be a free upgrade within 1y of release of W10

So those that upgrade within time that it will be free, will those keys be valid for W10 as also previous ver. you had?

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Well, it's their brand new Windows so I can see it to let people notice the update more, specially since it will be a free upgrade within 1y of release of W10

So those that upgrade within time that it will be free, will those keys be valid for W10 as also previous ver. you had?

The End User license agreement says that if you upgrade (and while you staying upgraded), your product key of your previous version of Windows will be 'revoked', meaning you can't use it for another system. This is true for any Windows Upgrade process (else it would be too easy. 1 copy of Windows 7 or 8, and you can start installing Windows 10, and be genuine and activated on an army of computers). Now, if the previous version of Window product key actually works or not after you upgraded, is something that can't be discussed here as it against the forum CoC. But all I have to say is: there is nothing to worry about or fear.

Oh well, I disabled Windows Updates on Windows 7 Home 6 months ago... and ignoring Windows 10 notify....

CPU:AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz Processor | CPU Air Cooler:Thermalright Assassin X 120 Refined SE | Motherboard:MSI B450M GAMING PLUS MATX AM4

Memory:G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32GB (2x16GB)  DDR4-3200 | GPU:PowerColor Fighter Radeon RX 7600 8 GB Video Card

Storage #1:Silicon Power A55 512GB SSD (OS driver) | Storage #2: Silicon Power A60 1TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVMe (Anything else)

Case:Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L | Case Fan: 3x Thermalright TL-C12C (2x intake fans, 1x exhaust fan)

Power Supply:Corsair CXM (2015) 450W Bronze 80 Plus |OS:MS Windows10 (64-bit) | Monitor: ASUS VG275 27” 1080p 75 Hz FreeSync

They'll just stop supporting windows 7 and 8 eventually just like they did with XP. Then people will have to either upgrade or have a un-supported system with no security patches.

I have it and have had zero issues. The install was flawless and I was up and running within 30 minutes.

CPU i5-4690K(OC to 4.4Ghz) CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x41 Motherboard MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Memory G.Skillz Ripjaws X 16gb 2133 Video Card MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X           Case NZXT H440 Power Supply XFX XTR 750W Modular Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250gb/Seagate Barracuda 2TB Monitor Acer XB270HU G-Sync http://pcpartpicker.com/b/3CkTwP

They'll just stop supporting windows 7 and 8 eventually just like they did with XP. Then people will have to either upgrade or have a un-supported system with no security patches.

Those that value their privacy have already turned off the automatic updates and removed several Win10-related and telemetry-related updates from their Win7 or Win8.1 install. 

Seeing as MS intends to not release KnowledgeBase articles anymore, those people will not be updating their systems anymore either, so they are already unprotected. 

Using Windows nowadays means making a choice.  Either you take the chance, turn off updates and hope that some hacker doesn't get access to your unprotected PC, or you grant MS's malware access to your PC ... and hope that some hacker doesn't get access to your "protected" PC. 

It's like choosing between the plague and cholera really.  You're screwed either way.

Those that value their privacy have already turned off the automatic updates and removed several Win10-related and telemetry-related updates from their Win7 or Win8.1 install. 

Seeing as MS intends to not release KnowledgeBase articles anymore, those people will not be updating their systems anymore either, so they are already unprotected. 

Using Windows nowadays means making a choice.  Either you take the chance, turn off updates and hope that some hacker doesn't get access to your unprotected PC, or you grant MS's malware access to your PC ... and hope that some hacker doesn't get access to your "protected" PC. 

It's like choosing between the plague and cholera really.  You're screwed either way.

What about MS releasing an update but the KB is not saying the truth, or not everything.

If MS wanted to spy on you, they would already do it on any version of Windows.

You must have a very strange definition of "nothing to identify you" to make that statement. The data Microsoft harvest includes multiple unique IDs used to identify you and your computer. Examples of such is the Machine ID, Device ID (machine and device are two different unique IDs by the way), session ID and a bunch of meta information (language, time, region, etc) which could all be used to identify you. In fact, it is possible to identify up to 94.2% of users only by looking at their browser's fingerprint. That's without any of the unique identifiers Microsoft use when collecting info.

We really need to stop this misinformation about "they don't collect anything that could identify you" because it is flat out a lie. Stop lying GoodBytes.

And yes it is true that others do it too, but that does not make it okay for Microsoft to do it. Bringing up what other companies does is just a red herring.

But tell me one reason why MS would want to know what a certain person who goes by lawlz does on his PC? all they care is big data averages and big spikes. they dont have an army of perv joes going through every single users telemetry stream, and id wager they destroy the actual date asap to save space, leaving only statistics and your "user profile" which is just a set of coordinates in an n dimensional "personality space"

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

But tell me one reason why MS would want to know what a certain person who goes by lawlz does on his PC? all they care is big data averages and big spikes. they dont have an army of perv joes going through every single users telemetry stream, and id wager they destroy the actual date asap to save space, leaving only statistics and your "user profile" which is just a set of coordinates in an n dimensional "personality space"

But but NSA.It was clearly impossible for the NSA to spy on people without Windows 10, now that Windows 10 is released well after they were found spying on people, now they can spy on.. oh wait...

What about MS releasing an update but the KB is not saying the truth, or not everything.

If MS wanted to spy on you, they would already do it on any version of Windows.

That is exactly why I'm running a non-updated Win7 SP1 whenever I really need to use Windows. 

But but NSA.It was clearly impossible for the NSA to spy on people without Windows 10, now that Windows 10 is released well after they were found spying on people, now they can spy on.. oh wait...

Dont forget about all the hackers that found it impossible to crack your passwords before Windows10 through your stupidity in using one password, and trusting a website to keep it secure

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

That is exactly why I'm running a non-updated Win7 SP1 whenever I really need to use Windows. 

What if it is built-in day 1, and the data is passed through the network as you surf the web to a set of proxies, to hide its track?

What if it is built-in since day 1, but only activates after 2 years or maybe 5 years once everyone has their guard down?

My point is, if Microsoft wanted to, they would already have done so.

Isn't one of those IDs used in the revised activation scheme that allow you to clean reinstall Windows and then reactivate without needing to type in a product key? Doesn't really seem malicious if it's just used to reactivate Windows should you clean reinstall it.

They should really go from "aggressive" to flatout violent and just release a completely free version of it altogether. Which is what I suspect might end up happening if they don't meet their upgrade quotas by the end of the free year anyway.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They should really go from "aggressive" to flatout violent and just release a completely free version of it altogether. Which is what I suspect might end up happening if they don't meet their upgrade quotas by the end of the free year anyway.

I think the real reason is that making Windows 10 free for 1 year required A LOT of heavy convincing to the board of directors and/or investors/shareholders at Microsoft by Satya Nadella, which probably where very reluctant to agree. So, Microsoft wants a massive increase in market share for making Windows 10 Mobile interesting, and Windows as a service a reality, as soon as possible, before the offer ends, which will slow down the upgrade rate considerably.

That is just my speculation, it is not based on anything.

Microsoft is soo detached from reality I work(ed) at a computer store and we got so many people ( mostly seniors) asking to role back to windows Because they had unknowingly upgraded to windows 10.

This method will only serve to irritate people rather then boost upgrades

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Why DON'T people care about the tracking is a better question.

Here we go again: Telemetry data collection has nothing to identify you or have anything of value, beside Microsoft for improving their product. The same for Firefox, Chrome, and about any large web site you visit just to scratch the surface.

This /\

I bet you're one of those "I have nothing to hide" guys aren't ya?

We've been over this before. Basically, that statement is dumb. People have their privacy right and Microsoft is saying "screw your privacy" right now. That's why people care about the tracking features in W10.

Windows 10 is the least of your god dam fucking concerns for privacy. 

AND windows 7 and 8 bot do it btw.

This /\

The concern was/is that they weren't clear about it in the first place, and it isn't that simple to turn it off.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

The concern was/is that they weren't clear about it in the first place, and it isn't that simple to turn it off.

Keep in mind, everything you do on ios runs through apple.

and GOOGLE OWNS you.

and the NSA, has all your data

and your isp sells you out.

Windows 10 is still the least of your worries.

Its the age of the internet