Microsoft planning to be a bit more aggressive about the Windows 10 free upgrade next year (for Win7/8 users)

GoodBytes

Microsoft has said today that starting early next year, Windows 7 and 8 users will get Windows 10 as recommended upgrade. Despite Windows 10 user based increased to over 110 million since the official launch of the OS (estimated to be 120 million now), Microsoft treating Windows and many of it's products as services instead of a, well product, the company wants to push the latest and greatest Windows to its users.

HOWEVER, it does not mean you'll reboot and you'll get Windows 10, an issue that occurred from an error on Microsoft for some Windows 7 and 8 users. Fear not.

All it means is that when you'll login, you'll have a window pop0up in front of you, saying to upgrade Windows 10, instead of like it is right now, a small icon in the notification tray. You'll have the option to upgrade, or not asked again, Microsoft says (and probably, ask again later which would be on the next reboot, that would be my guess).

win1_2040.0.0.jpg

They’ll come back to their PC and there will be a dialog where they can choose to upgrade to Windows 10 or choose not to upgrade to Windows 10

Says Myerson from Microsoft in an Interview.

So basically, it is a new pop-up either replacing or adding to the current notification icon.

The idea is to make it easier for users, Microsoft says. Probably for those who forgot, or not notice the Windows icon next to their system clock (my guess).

In the same interview, and a bit of a side topic here: Myerson says that they noticed an increase in Windows sales from owner previously having a pirated version of Windows wanting Windows 10 now. The Verge says:

Microsoft is also making some changes designed to entice software pirates to upgrade. "If you try and upgrade a non-genuine PC to Windows 10 today it says the free upgrade is only available to genuine PCs," says Myerson. "We’re seeing people be creative to get around that block, and then many are actually going to the Windows Store and buying a genuine license." Microsoft has realized it's making it difficult for non-genuine Windows users to get genuine, so the company is planning to run an experiment in the US to get software pirates on board. Microsoft will offer a one-click opportunity to get a genuine Windows license from the Windows Store, but it won’t be a free upgrade. Pirates will have to purchase the genuine license and proceed with an upgrade.

Microsoft also notes that if Windows identifies that you are on a roaming network, then it won't execute the Windows 10 upgrade. So unless your setup doesn't detect properly that you are on a roaming network, then you have nothing to worry about if by accident you agree on upgrading to Windows 10 while not being on wireless or wired internet.

Source: http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/29/9639414/microsoft-windows-10-automatic-update-recommended

Quick reminder, early November, if you are not part of the Windows Insider, expect a big Windows 10 update, coming up, which features a great number of bug fixes, polish (including a great number of icons being updated, including the registry icon), and improvements like the new environmental panel. The code name of the update is Threshold 2 or TH2 for short. It can be seen as Service Pack 1, but going further than a simple Service Pack.

Aside from your age old systems, if any, are all yours system running Windows 10 now?

Some icon or popup similar to the one you get every week or so if you are running windows 8 prompting you to upgrade to 8.1? Either upgrade or remind me later...

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Every single PC in my house (C2D T7250 and up to my rig) except for my HTPC is on Windows 10. 

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Just upgrade people goddammit 

No, not until the os isn't shitty, forced updates, excessive tracking features, if vulcan does well enough to allow me to avoid having to get dx12 I'll never upgrade.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

No, not until the os isn't shitty, forced updates, excessive tracking features, if vulcan does well enough to allow me to avoid having to get dx12 I'll never upgrade.

Its not shitty

and why do you care about the tracking

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Its not shitty

Why DON'T people care about the tracking is a better question.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

Its not shitty

I bet you're one of those "I have nothing to hide" guys aren't ya?

We've been over this before. Basically, that statement is dumb. People have their privacy right and Microsoft is saying "screw your privacy" right now. That's why people care about the tracking features in W10.

Ye ole' train

As long as it is shit, my SP3 stays win8.1. 

(But my desktop is still Win10)

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Its not shitty

I'm a libertarian, I value privacy, as for it's shittyness no os is good the first 6 months from microsoft, just search for windows 10 problems.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

Pirates don't really need MS to give them a license - I think they won't complain though.

Personally I'm starting to shift away from using windows as much as possible. My thinkpad x220 is running arch linux exclusively and I plan to keep it that way, and all my secondary machines are running linux in some way, shape or form. My main rig is bound to windows for games, but I'm strongly considering the idea of KVMing windows and using arch as the main os - the only problem is that my motherboard doesn't support the intel igpu and since it's matx I can't even add a secondary dedicated gpu (I would either need to move my r9 290 to a less performing pcie slot or have the other gpu not in the first slot which would cause all sorts of issues). When I'll think it makes sense to upgrade my cpu I'll definitaly bare all this in mind.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I'm a libertarian, I value privacy, as for it's shittyness no os is good the first 6 months from microsoft, just search for windows 10 problems.

Here we go again: Telemetry data collection has nothing to identify you or have anything of value, beside Microsoft for improving their product. The same for Firefox, Chrome, and about any large web site you visit just to scratch the surface.

Well windows 7 works fine and i have 0 reason to upgrade. My gpu doesn't support Dx12 soo... 

I'll challenge the W10 freaks out here, give me a valid reason to upgrade, just one is enough. :P

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Here we go again: Telemetry data collection has nothing to identify you or have anything of value, beside Microsoft for improving their product. The same for Firefox, Chrome, and about any large web site you visit just to scratch the surface.

At least firefox asks if you want to send such data before it does! Can't be said about W10, such stuff should be opt-in, and not opt-out like it is now.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Look you can trust microsoft and friends all you want, I don't, I block tracking data from google, and hate the idea of my os phoning home, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

In all fairness, you can probably do the same search for Windows 7 / 8 / 8.1 and probably find as many if not more issues :/

Granted they have been out longer, but still, problems are problems.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well windows 7 works fine and i have 0 reason to upgrade. My gpu doesn't support Dx12 soo... 

I'll challenge the W10 freaks out here, give me a valid reason to upgrade, just one is enough. :P

Tiles on the start menu so you can do this:

RgPKLgN.png

yes that is Watch_Dogs don't judge me

Tiles on the start menu so you can do this:

And why would i want to do that? I prefer just clean backgrounds tbh... 

And why would i want to do that? I prefer just clean backgrounds tbh... 

dWcbRUN.png

That's worse... I meant clean in the other way.

I like a nice photo, and nothing more. Oh well :P

I don't want to go constantly to my desktop for shortcuts because i always have too much stuff open so getting to shortcuts is a challenge and too much work :D

That's worse... I meant clean in the other way.

I like a nice photo, and nothing more. Oh well :P

I don't want to go constantly to my desktop for shortcuts because i always have too much stuff open so getting to shortcuts is a challenge and too much work :D

That's exactly why I use the start menu.