Microsoft planning to be a bit more aggressive about the Windows 10 free upgrade next year (for Win7/8 users)

GoodBytes

I don't like spaces in my names so Computer was better for me but at the same time I don't fully like it's name either. But naming doesn't usually annoy me that much unless its a term I hate like "cloud" or "app". I'm much more annoyed by folders showing up in a place that should be reserved only for drives.

I think the folders there were introduced in Windows 8, cba to check right now, but I know they're not new.

I think the folders there were introduced in Windows 8, cba to check right now, but I know they're not new.

I have yet to find someone who liked W8...

I have yet to find someone who liked W8...

I'm one of the five people who did.

Before you call it garbage, let me remind you that Windows Me exists :P

I'm one of the five people who did.

Before you call it garbage, let me remind you that Windows Me exists :P

Thankfully I wasn't into tech at the time of Windows Me. Can't imagine having to use that.

Thankfully I wasn't into tech at the time of Windows Me. Can't imagine having to use that.

I had to use it.

It's worse than they say. I wish I was making that up. And people were pretty intensely critical of it. Not even Microsoft wants to acknowledge it exists now.

I'll upgrade as soon as those stupid "phoning home all the time" things can ACTUALLY be shut down. Then I'll be fine. Until then: Windows 7 is it. Non-genuine Windows 7 that is.

I find it hilarious that you're concerned about Windows 10 "phoning home" so you decide to run non-genuine Windows 7 instead.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

You said that the telemetry data does not contain anything which can be used to identify you, which it does. It does not explicitly send my name with it, but it does use a variety of unique IDs and other meta data to keep track of whom the data is coming from. What purpose would you say those unique IDs were for if not for identification?

In before you say it is used to identify my computer and not me... As if there is any practical difference.

What data? hotspot areas of when you use a program?

It is easier for you to be tracked by going downtown with the massive number of cameras. This is commonly used by police. But if someone wanted, they can do a massive profile on you, and knows everything. What store you go into, what you like. Even in restaurants, they are many restaurant that put camera that film tables, to study people (look it up!).

When you buy something with your credit card or debit card, they have a number to track you with, they build profiles and build associations (why do you think you have loyalty cards and the such, that is to refine the tracking on you, and even if you pay cash, in exchange of discounts and offers... and unlike Microsoft (unless you use Bing which falls like Google as you search), your profile in these stores are literately sold to other companies.

Why does all this passes? Because it has been proven that it can't be used to track you directly, and therefore not considered personal information.

If I tell you, user: 6615fbff-5045-4492-a128-84c0b5ca6b00 uses Grove Music, uses the explore feature of word, likes Vanilla Ice, age 70 to 80, like to look at the weather app once a day. WooOOOoooOOOOooooOO scary... very personal information

That is my whole point. It means nothing to anyone. But it means A LOT for marketers, and for Microsoft, as if they see that everyone using Grove Music is only between 70 and 80 years old, and all of them and all of them listens to Vanilla Ice, and that they are no other users or music they listen to, and want to get more of such people using Grove Music, they can get more albums from Vanilla Ice, and maybe pay for exclusive new music, and make so that the program plays Vanilla Ice music instantly as you start it, especially that those users demand it via user feedback.

W10 has several features which kind of annoy me. To name a few: Instead of calling stuff "programs" everything is called an "app"!

The term apps was used WAY before smartphones. Back in the old days of Windows 95/98, I even had a HDD with the name "Games & Apps".

"Apps" is short for Application, which is what they are: You have Utilities, Games and Applications. Why aren't you upset that "Games" is called "Games"? It should be called "Electronic video games". I don't see seniors complaining, even complaining senior with their cane that they waggle in the air are they say their complain on how better things where in the old days don't mind being called "Games". Come on.

This isn't a phone and even on mobile I hate the term 'app' just as much as 'cloud'.

What would you call 'cloud' then?

Control panel is annoying to get to and I don't like the "app" version at all.

Good because the Control Panel will disappear as soon as everything else is ported over. What don't you like with the new Settings panel?

You want change but you don't like change?

When I move a window to the edge of a screen I usually don't want to place another window on the side in a 50%:50% split. Usually it's about a 30%:70% split.

Under Windows 10, it splits based on the other window that has been snapped on the edge. For example, if you take 1 window and snap it on the right, as you have nothing, it will take 50%. If you scale it to 70%, and take another window and snap it on the other side it will snap at 30%. This is new to Windows 10.

Word has stupid animations that look kind of annoying as you type.

Sorry for hearing you don't like GPU accelerated interface which allows smoother experience instead of cutting every raw to essential to limit CPU as it sucks at drawing, hence why we use a GPU render games and not the CPU (aka: "Software rendering").

This animation is not part of Windows 10. It is part of Office. No matter what version of Windows, or even if you go under Wine under your favorite Linux distro, the animation will still remain for your entertainment.

Why does windows explorer have to look so cluttered?

You mean File Explorer? What do you mean? Can you please describe what is cluttered?

All I want to see when I open windows explorer is to see all my drive letters... and ONLY my drives. Nothing else.

You can collapse the section by clicking on the down arrow. And it will be gone. You can also add or remove folders. Here is a step by step tutorial:

http://www.howtogeek.com/168081/how-to-remove-the-folders-from-my-computer-in-windows-8.1/

I presume most of these can be easily fixed/solved but I don't want to spend my limited amount of time trying to fix W10 when I know for sure that Linux will look and run the way I want it to.

You are right, why spend your limited amount of time setting your system once and for all with fair ease, when you can use something that hasn't change much over the years, spend a whole weekend to barely have up and running at 100%, with a community that doesn't care about GUI, to a point that you have crappy unreadable font still to THIS day, and low amount of attention to details, where things are miss aligned with the rest at a few places, and looks amateurish sadly, BESIDE a few select exceptions (but still no attention to details), thanks to more will power such as Ubuntu, but hated by the Linux community of the outside.

I am sorry, but amongst all you could have said Linux being better than Windows, and would have not heard a comment from you, but you had to pick the 1 things that Linux based OS suffers the most... Sorry.

-snip-

Why can't "Cloud" just be called an internet file server?  (Maybe IFS for people that like to shorten stuff?) And if it's not a file server just call it an internet server. At least it would be accurate in its description instead of using the same term as the one used for collections of gaseous substances (usually water) and which has basically nothing to do with tech.

Don't like apps because of their somewhat vague definition. Personal preference that I rather see program over app. I basically just think it sounds much better. (It sounds more professional, sophisticated, and acoustically nice.... No I don't enjoy English courses, in fact I'm working toward a computer science degree)

By cluttered I meant that the folders were showing as I later clarified, and if I need to go into registry edits just to get rid of them well I'm rather disappointed. Sure it's doable and if Microsoft wasn't collecting data I'd consider spending some time to fix it. Also I guess windows explorer got renamed to file explorer. Which isn't a bad thing actually. I'm just used to saying windows explorer since I think that's what it's called in W7.

Fedora with Cinnamon looks really nice so I don't entirely know what you mean by Linux having a bad UI... Sure the drivers and program support isn't there :( but that won't be there unless more people use Linux.

Anyways you really tend to like Microsoft so I'm sort of curious what you think of stuff like edge and bing since even one of my friends who got an internship at Microsoft bluntly stated that bing sucks when he was asked what he most disliked about Microsoft. However this conversations focus is W10 and whether or not it's better than W7 not whether everything Microsoft makes is good. :P

That is my whole point. It means nothing to anyone. But it means A LOT for marketers, and for Microsoft, as if they see that everyone using Grove Music is only between 70 and 80 years old, and all of them and all of them listens to Vanilla Ice, and that they are no other users or music they listen to, and want to get more of such people using Grove Music, they can get more albums from Vanilla Ice, and maybe pay for exclusive new music, and make so that the program plays Vanilla Ice music instantly as you start it, especially that those users demand it via user feedback.

Or rather, it shows Microsoft that they need to change the Groove Music service so that its primary target demographic (which is probably 16-22 (because they love music) and 23-49 (because they love music and can afford to buy it) ) is better served.

As for Edge, I used it to download Firefox because of the profile syncing. I get my bookmarks, browsing history and addons synced across devices. Presumably if I had a Windows Phone instead of Android Edge would also do this, but I don't have one (and likely never will, the way they're going).

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

What data? hotspot areas of when you use a program?

It is easier for you to be tracked by going downtown with the massive number of cameras. This is commonly used by police. But if someone wanted, they can do a massive profile on you, and knows everything. What store you go into, what you like. Even in restaurants, they are many restaurant that put camera that film tables, to study people (look it up!).

When you buy something with your credit card or debit card, they have a number to track you with, they build profiles and build associations (why do you think you have loyalty cards and the such, that is to refine the tracking on you, and even if you pay cash, in exchange of discounts and offers... and unlike Microsoft (unless you use Bing which falls like Google as you search), your profile in these stores are literately sold to other companies.

Why does all this passes? Because it has been proven that it can't be used to track you directly, and therefore not considered personal information.

If I tell you, user: 6615fbff-5045-4492-a128-84c0b5ca6b00 uses Grove Music, uses the explore feature of word, likes Vanilla Ice, age 70 to 80, like to look at the weather app once a day. WooOOOoooOOOOooooOO scary... very personal information

Wanna know why I give most of those things a pass? Because I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. It's the same reason why I use Windows 10. They are still drawbacks though. Also, we don't have rampant fanboys running around defending those things like crazy and spreading misinformation about it.

And it's not just grove music they collect info about. It's far more than that.

It means a lot to some people. Privacy is a very important matter which we have slowly been losing control over. There is a reason why opening someone else's mail is punishable with prison time. Because privacy is incredibly important. The way Microsoft is also trying to sneak all this tracking into their product by for example giving us off buttons which don't actually turn things off properly is really rubbing me the wrong way, because they are deliberately trying to deceive people. That's just pure evil behavior.

I strongly believe that companies should put their customers first, and in Microsoft's case they could do this by just giving people off buttons. The ones who do not care about privacy can have their data collected all they want, and the people who do care can turn it off. Clearly Microsoft realize that this is an issue since they are giving enterprise customers the option to turn it off. If it really did not matter to anyone, why would they give enterprise customers that option?

In Brazil, you guys are super taxed, which increase the price of your products imported considerably. The issue is not Microsoft, the issue is your government. Every country that ever tried to control the market, blocking it's door to the outside, which is what Brazil is doing, result in the country having a very poor economy.

The best solution, is to have doors full open, with little taxes (as the government must do some money). This will boost sales of good and services which will bring further revenue to the government, and the government can encourage its population to buy local. For example, the state of Vermont in the U.S does that a lot. It gives the state a strong economy without any downside to its population.

Now, I am not an economist, but it is for a reason why countries are very open to free trade. It is just not a barrier that you can open at 100%, because the impact at the short term to the economy will hurt. So the deals are very complex, time consuming to do, to get some agreement on picking each country areas that will be affected. But on the long term is always benefits everyones, government and population.

So contact your government, and complain how your goods and services are too high.

Not really.

As I said, I bought windows 8.1 pro (student) for 120 R$ directly from Microsoft's website. All I had to do was select my University from the list, confirm the link on the proprietary e-mail, and I was already downloading my boot disc. So if they wanted, they could sell windows 10 Pro (student) for 120 R$ as well, just as they used to do. Yes, sure, we have that stupid 60% fee, but if they did it before, they can do it again. Hell, not even Win 10, just straight up the old Win 8.1 would already be good enough for the free upgrade.

But they don't, and THAT is what I'm complaining about.

Also, don't worry, we are trying to Impeatchment the president, rest assured.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Wanna know why I give most of those things a pass? Because I think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks. It's the same reason why I use Windows 10. They are still drawbacks though. Also, we don't have rampant fanboys running around defending those things like crazy and spreading misinformation about it.

And it's not just grove music they collect info about. It's far more than that.

It means a lot to some people. Privacy is a very important matter which we have slowly been losing control over. There is a reason why opening someone else's mail is punishable with prison time. Because privacy is incredibly important. The way Microsoft is also trying to sneak all this tracking into their product by for example giving us off buttons which don't actually turn things off properly is really rubbing me the wrong way, because they are deliberately trying to deceive people. That's just pure evil behavior.

I strongly believe that companies should put their customers first, and in Microsoft's case they could do this by just giving people off buttons. The ones who do not care about privacy can have their data collected all they want, and the people who do care can turn it off. Clearly Microsoft realize that this is an issue since they are giving enterprise customers the option to turn it off. If it really did not matter to anyone, why would they give enterprise customers that option?

I am not providing miss information, or defending anything, beside correcting people to the fact that they Windows 10 tracks them and takes personal information. If you see what I mentioned as personal information, then you better bring this, because in court its not considered so.

I have already complained on many things of Windows 10. Doesn't mean I correct people when they say that Windows 10 is spyware/key logger or what not, that I am a fanboy. If government sees that telemetry data is personal information, NOW I have nothing to say, and Windows 10 would be indeed spyware by definition. It is simple as that.

I never said it can be disabled, I never said they don't collect anything. I am not giving any miss information. I am only explaining telemetry data, and the fact that by current definition, there is no personal information to identify you being send to Microsoft.

Also, Microsoft isn't checking your e-mail. The company remains proud of that. However, if they do get a warrant, they will give access your stuff to law officers, the same way the postal service will. The only difference, is that with the postal service you can see your mail being checked as you would see it was open. But at this stage, it's probably already too late, and have the information to arrest you, as, at least in Canada and U.S, you need to have a valid case to get warrant, and hence you need to go to a judge to be evaluated.

Keep in mind, everything you do on ios runs through apple.

and GOOGLE OWNS you.

and the NSA, has all your data

and your isp sells you out.

Windows 10 is still the least of your worries.

Its the age of the internet

I don't necessarily use Ios nor google.

I don't support apples BS.

I don't support google's BS.

I don't support NSA's BS.

I don't support my ISP's BS.

I don't support Microsoft's BS.

Just because someone else's sh*t smells worse, doesn't change the fact that it's still sh*t.

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I don't necessarily use Ios nor google.

I don't support apples BS.

I don't support google's BS.

I don't support NSA's BS.

I don't support my ISP's BS.

I don't support Microsoft's BS.

Just because someone else's sh*t smells worse, doesn't change the fact that it's still sh*t.

did i say it isn't shit?

all im saying is that you people need to calm the fuck down.

I am not providing miss information, or defending anything, beside correcting people to the fact that they Windows 10 tracks them and takes personal information. If you see what I mentioned as personal information, then you better bring this, because in court its not considered so.

I have already complained on many things of Windows 10. Doesn't mean I correct people when they say that Windows 10 is spyware/key logger or what not, that I am a fanboy. If government sees that telemetry data is personal information, NOW I have nothing to say, and Windows 10 would be indeed spyware by definition. It is simple as that.

I never said it can be disabled, I never said they don't collect anything. I am not giving any miss information. I am only explaining telemetry data, and the fact that by current definition, there is no personal information to identify you being send to Microsoft.

Also, Microsoft isn't checking your e-mail. The company remains proud of that. However, if they do get a warrant, they will give access your stuff to law officers, the same way the postal service will. The only difference, is that with the postal service you can see your mail being checked as you would see it was open. But at this stage, it's probably already too late, and have the information to arrest you, as, at least in Canada and U.S, you need to have a valid case to get warrant, and hence you need to go to a judge to be evaluated.

But there is information being sent which is there to identify you. That's what all the unique IDs are for. They may use it for things such as determining if it's 100 users having the same issue, or 1 user having the same issue 100 times.

You are saying they don't have that information (since you are claiming they don't collect anything that can identify you) which is clearly not the case. They do collect info to identify you. The purpose of doing it does not change the fact that they are doing it. That's why I called you a liar, because what you are saying is factually incorrect. The sole purpose of the unique IDs are to identify you. The end.

That last part is also a lie. Microsoft do in fact check your emails. Here is a blog post from 2011 where they proudly announce that they check every image uploaded to SkyDrive and ever image sent through their email servers.

Microsoft began implementing PhotoDNA technology in Bing and SkyDrive, including images posted to SkyDrive through Hotmail, in a thoughtful and gradual process in order to assess the capabilities of the technology and we are seeing strong results. PhotoDNA identified horrific images on our services that we would have never found otherwise. To date, we have evaluated more than two billion images on our services using the PhotoDNA signatures provided by NCMEC, leading to the identification of more than 1,000 matches on SkyDrive and 1,500 matches through Bing’s image search indexing.

Again, their intentions are good but it does not change the fact that they are checking your emails.

The more Microsoft tries to push Windows 10, the more determined I'm becoming to stay on Windows 8.1.

did i say it isn't shit?

Calming down is the last thing people should do. Calming down won't show that we don't approve of these companies' behavior.

Calming down is the last thing people should do. Calming down won't show that we don't approve of these companies' behavior.

just like piracy, your not going to stop this.

just tick the off boxes and go on your way.

That last part is also a lie. Microsoft do in fact check your emails. Here is a blog post from 2011 where they proudly announce that they check every image uploaded to SkyDrive and ever image sent through their email servers.

Again, their intentions are good but it does not change the fact that they are checking your emails.

Images is not the content (text) of your images.

PhotoDNA is an automated process, which goes through each images and finds images like child pornography and such given to Microsoft by police officers. No one physically checks your images, and PhotoDNA doesn't classify you. PhotoDNA was developed in association with National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, and is being used by Twitter, Facebook, and Google, among many other (I believe over 55 companies or so, if I recall correctly).

This is like postal services in many countries, probably yours too, where they check mail for illegal substances, bombs, and so on using machines that scans mails without opening them.

PhotoDNA does not use any information to identify you, but will raise a flag to authorities if you have an image of child abused that have been flagged by authorities, child pornography and so. Basically, it check through every images for a match, and also can use facial recognition to identify a child reported to be abused. If a flag is raised, this is the only time a physical person can view your image, to make sure that this is not a false detection, and an investigation can be underway if it is a match. That also means that an warrant is needed to check the rest of your content.

did i say it isn't shit?

I don't remember saying anything that wasn't calm... I asked why there are people who don't care. People should care, as they should care about a lot of things...

"Normandy" i7 4790K - GTX 970 - Phantom 410 (Gun metal) - Z97 Extreme4 (asrock) - 128GB Crucial SSD - 1TB WD HDD - H60 Refurb. - 7 case fans | G710+ Keyboard, G230 Headset, Acer GN246HL Monitor.

Quick thoughts on system: I7 is extremely quick and I'm glad I spent the extra for hyper-threading. I regret my decision to get the GTX 970, it has horrible coil whine. There isn't any excuse for this terrible whine I and others are having. I HIGHLY recommend a 144hz monitor. Future Improvements/upgrades: Rubber fan mounts, basic speakers, more ram (for a total of 16gb), replace GPU.

144hz is love. 144hz is life. I like to submit unfinished posts then do about 20 edits. I like the Night Theme too.

I don't remember saying anything that wasn't calm... I asked why there are people who don't care. People should care, as they should care about a lot of things...

i have the google setting where it records my location turned on. Why cause i can, 

i have it save my searchs too.

if i need to hide something i got incognito :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

People are just being to parnoid.

i have the google setting where it records my location turned on. Why cause i can, 

i have it save my searchs too.

if i need to hide something i got incognito :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  

People are just being to parnoid.

Suite yourself, that doesn't mean you shouldn't 'care'. You can like W10, Google, etc. and not like their spying and privacy policy.

Also some of us are in 'positions of interest', I'd like to be able to search for my [insert weird fetish here :ph34r:] without the possibility of a Google, Apple, the NSA, CIA, GCHQ, Microsoft, etc. employee using it against me later in life.

Suite yourself, that doesn't mean you shouldn't 'care'. You can like W10, Google, etc. and not like their spying and privacy policy.

Also some of us are in 'positions of interest', I'd like to be able to search for my [insert weird fetish here :ph34r:] without the possibility of a Google, Apple, the NSA, CIA, GCHQ, Microsoft, etc. employee using it against me later in life.

I whish for the future

but it aint gonna happen.

I am not worried that MS is spying on me, I found the Win10 interface easy enough to use, but nothing is there that blew my socks off, and why would it.. its an OS, not a new child in the house. I do think they are being a little bit liberal with their 'data collection' but I don't think its going to the NSA like some sort of key-logger or personal data file(s) for the Chinese to hack into.

I have used various iterations of the Windows 10 OS since release preview started, on pc's and sp3's.

currently, I am not running windows 10 on any of my machines for the first time in several months... (i don't own the sp3's,.. those were from work, I changed projects so no more sp3's)

my guess is that I will stay in the non windows 10 config until the last few days left of free upgrade eligibility and then make a decision then; not sooner. ESPECIALLY since MS is trying so hard for me to upgrade.. seems like they don't know how desperate they sound and look by pressing their paying customers about anything so hard.

*GO METS*