[Updated 11/4/15] Fallout 4 to NOT feature Nvidia Gameworks, but Nvidia is still working with Bethesda on the game.

ChrisxIxCross

I want NVidia to make their code optimized, not overtessellate, not be APEX based, and be completely open to the developer, that can optimize the code for both NVidia and AMD (with collaboration with AMD). You know just like TressFX.

And proper optimization is for the benefit of Nvidia users as much as AMD users. It's not just a vs thing which people want to turn it into.

HaHa, KeK.

Guess this bitch hasn't heard of the R9 285/380. You know, a card that DOES match the 960 in every area, including tessellation.

Most people have other cards. And if you look at benchmarks, all other cards perform significantly worse with tessellation than Nvidia equivalents. 290X for example, performs as a GTX 660. Thanks for the insult.

i7 9700K @ 5 GHz, ASUS DUAL RTX 3070 (OC), Gigabyte Z390 Gaming SLI, 2x8 HyperX Predator 3200 MHz

Most people have other cards. And when people look at benchmarks, they see all other cards performing significantly worse with tessellation than Nvidia equivalents. 290X for example, performs as a GTX 660. Thanks for the insult.

ok, i didn't mean to insult you, just been a long monday atm

but in all honesty, while nvidia's cards do handle tessellation better, it's normally only because amd failed to make decent tessellation chips

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Most people have other cards. And if you look at benchmarks, all other cards perform significantly worse with tessellation than Nvidia equivalents. 290X for example, performs as a GTX 660. Thanks for the insult.

Actually - 290X has quite a bit better Tess than GCN 1.0 cards.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

ok, i didn't mean to insult you, just been a long monday atm

but in all honesty, while nvidia's cards do handle tessellation better, it's normally only because amd failed to make decent tessellation chips

Fun fact - Tress FX is also based on Tess but runs better on AMD. It's the WAY it's done, not HOW it's done.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

Currently, the people against GW here are 1 in 4. Back then, the people against Tress FX were 3 in 4. Like I said, it's not the same reaction.

It's almost like everyone who is for GameWorks is against TressFX. Funny that.

I've done some googling, and have a hard time finding out what the Low/high preset does. HardOCP does state it might include tessellation too, so I will assume it does. That is very nice.

Some Nvidia users think that gameworks and the way it's meant to be played programs benefit them as Nvidia users. If they really think these features and effects are being applied in an efficient manner then ok, to each his own... But IMO the cold reality is that AMD gaming evolved titles consistently work better on Nvidia GPUs than Nvidia's own TWIMTBP games.

Indeed that is the very point I've made for quite a while. Some NVidia users are way too emotionally invested into their graphics card and the eco system they are buying into.

So basically you want Nvidia to do the same things that AMD is doing. 

Now, what exactly would incentivize Nvidia to do that considering they're not the ones facing bankruptcy due to lousy business practices/mismanagement. 

Nvidia shouldn't be spending its money to try and optimize code for its competition. 

Yes that is what I want.

Nothing, and that is the problem. Consumers can put pressure on NVidia and developers using this crap, by voting with their wallet and letting their opinions be heard. If consumers can't be bothered, they will get whatever the companies dictates, even if that is at the cost of the consumer.

They should be spending money on optimizing for their own users (which they don't seem to), and they should open up the code so the developer can optimize for both vendors, and let AMD optimize for their own cards.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Fun fact - Tress FX is also based on Tess but runs better on AMD. It's the WAY it's done, not HOW it's done.

Lying to support your case eh? What is this, politics?

TressFX uses DirectCompute, which is why Nvidia cards have a harder time with it. Hairworks uses tesselation, which is harder for AMD cards.

How weird, every vendor ties their tech into their hardware's strong points.

One thing's for sure: both look like shit outside of demo videos anyway, and both are a waste of time to implement

/thread.

It's almost like everyone who is for GameWorks is against TressFX. Funny that.

I'm against TressFX and for GW.

I think Hairworks stinks at least as hard as TressFX does though.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

LOL 13 pages of butthurt AMD fanboys...yeah, gameworks is trash it add nothing to the game...ESPECIALY when you CAN'T use it!!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Lying to support your case eh? What is this, politics?

TressFX uses DirectCompute, which is why Nvidia cards have a harder time with it. Hairworks uses tesselation, which is harder for AMD cards.

How weird, every vendor ties their tech into their hardware's strong points.

One thing's for sure: both look like shit outside of demo videos anyway, and both are a waste of time to implement

/thread.

I was reading about it today - some people were claiming it was Tess. I guess I was mislead.

The butthurt is real. 

And no, even blind followers will switch to AMD if Nvidia's offerings were truly bad. 

LOL 13 pages of butthurt AMD fanboys...yeah, gameworks is trash it add nothing to the game...ESPECIALY when you CAN'T use it!!

So you bought a GPU for this reason? For some sense of superiority? Here I thought we bought them based off performance.

Thanks for cheering me up over this, since now I know why it was done. :D

If anyone asks you never saw me.

resized_calls-someone-fanboy-makes-a-fan

snip!

snip!

But but butt...am i RIGHT or what?! huh :huh: 14 pages of this now...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I'm against TressFX and for GW.

I think Hairworks stinks at least as hard as TressFX does though.

Why are you against TressFX? Because the source is open to the dev, and they can collaborate with NVidia, they managed to optimize the NVidia drivers and the game enough for TressFX to run equally well on NVidia as AMD. At that point it's just a standard effect like any other for the dev and the end user. Like I stated, if GameWorks performed like that, there should not be an issue.

Non APEX GameWorks effects uses DX11 tessellation, so you are factually incorrect. AMD can indeed run them. The "fanboy" accusation seems more like projection. How very sad.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

But but butt...am i RIGHT or what?! huh :huh: 14 pages of this now...

I was on the fence over a second 290 or sell the one I have and get a 980. After 14 pages of a graphics setting being what gets Nvidea owners excite, I'm only on the fence on whether to get a 290x or 390. You have done me a great service and I look forward to seeing what crossfire can do in Fallout 4. :D

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Non APEX GameWorks effects uses DX11 tessellation, so you are factually incorrect. AMD can indeed run them. The "fanboy" accusation seems more like projection. How very sad.

:) oh okay...now what...AMD can run gameworks now...this is your best argument?

I was on the fence over a second 290 or sell the one I have and get a 980. After 14 pages of a graphics setting being what gets Nvidea owners excite, I'm only on the fence on whether to get a 290x or 390. You have done me a great service and I look forward to seeing what crossfire can do in Fallout 4. :D

enjoy your 780W from the wall machine son ;)

I though that the high heavens created by lord gaben, PCmasterace, there would be no war. I guess it's just like Sony vs Microsoft, inside, we are all peasants. I really don't care about eye candy personally, it runs good with alright let it on. If not, turn it off. I actually have a problem if either company goes GPU exclusive like consoles do. 

:) oh okay...now what...AMD can run gameworks now...this is your best argument?

enjoy your 780W from the wall machine son ;)

You made a factually incorrect comment, that I corrected. It was not an argument.

Why are you against TressFX? Because the source is open to the dev, and they can collaborate with NVidia, they managed to optimize the NVidia drivers and the game enough for TressFX to run equally well on NVidia as AMD. At that point it's just a standard effect like any other for the dev and the end user. Like I stated, if GameWorks performed like that, there should not be an issue.

Let's start using the correct names though, TressFX is only comparable to Hairworks, not gameworks as a whole

Let me first correct you now: I said I hated both TressFX and Hairworks.

Now, I'm against TressFX and Hairworks because IT SUCKS.

Neither solution is actually good-looking, nor does either of them justify the resource cost. I still find it baffling that there are artists that willingly include it. It's not so much the looks - those are similar to the old, polygonal hair - it's the animations that are just plain not realistic, ever, unless you're making a game about those puppets with spaghetti hair. Because that's what Hairworks/TressFX looks like - Spaghetti.

It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad. Sure, the demo videos look great, and it's just "meh" during gameplay. The worst part are the cutscenes. It's like Cthulu himself is sitting on the head of the character, waving his tentacles while the character is standing still. And I didn't even get to clipping yet.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

TressFX is only comparable to Hairworks, not gameworks as a whole

I'm against TressFX and Hairworks because IT SUCKS.

unless you're making a game about those puppets with spaghetti hair. Because that's what Hairworks/TressFX looks like - Spaghetti.

so true lol that made me laugh..spaghetti hair :) i have to agree i don't like airworks very much so far either...on the other hand though the lightshafts, reactive smoke clouds and interactive paper/debris in Batman the arkham knight...that looks good, if only i was able to drive them at more than 30FPS it would be damn nice hehe :D

Let's start using the correct names though, TressFX is only comparable to Hairworks, not gameworks as a whole

Let me first correct you now: I said I hated both TressFX and Hairworks.

Now, I'm against TressFX and Hairworks because IT SUCKS.

Neither solution is actually good-looking, nor does either of them justify the resource cost. I still find it baffling that there are artists that willingly include it. It's not so much the looks - those are similar to the old, polygonal hair - it's the animations that are just plain not realistic, ever, unless you're making a game about those puppets with spaghetti hair. Because that's what Hairworks/TressFX looks like - Spaghetti.

It'd be hilarious if it weren't so sad. Sure, the demo videos look great, and it's just "meh" during gameplay. The worst part are the cutscenes. It's like Cthulu himself is sitting on the head of the character, waving his tentacles while the character is standing still. And I didn't even get to clipping yet.

Tress FX does not impact performance nearly as much though, I can run it fine even with a 6870/GTX 570.

Those effects are not taken away from you if you have an AMD GPU, they're given to Nvidia users.

In fact, some of them work on AMD with no problem, some perform worse because they're based around strenghts Nvidia GPUs have, like tessellation, as we know their tessellation performance is superior, and some effects simply don't work because they require driver support. 

So first they aren't taken away and then some are.... so which one is it? Make up your mind please....

those effects ARE NOT there when you turn them off, SO YOU ARE MISSING THEM. That means the SAME as TAKING THEM AWAY. They also don't require drivers support. They require better coding so they work on all cards. That is something Nvidia won't do.....

No, I'm pretty sure nvidia just offers to help them implement it for free

No they don't, Nvidia pays them, after all the crap Nvidia has gotten for gameworks do you really think any developer in their right mind puts this stuff in just because Nvidia asks? No way in hell that is happening. Nvidia pays them A LOT of money to put this crap in.

Instead of not doing anything to improve the gaming experience at least they are making progress in the industry without forcing developers to do thousands of hours of extra work

Unlike AMD who pretty much does nothing

Yeah Mantle, Freesync, TressFX, all free for everyone to use has done absolutely nothing for the industry. Mantle got the ball rolling on low-level API's, TressFX does what hairworks does only a shit-ton better because it works perfect on all platforms. AMD even optimized it for Nvidia cards or helped at least. THAT IT PROGESS, not locking everything down to your own crap. PhysX should have been an insane leap forward for physics in games, but Nvidia locked it down and now barely any game uses it and we're still playing with physics from 11 years ago. Yay progress, thanks Nvidia!

Locking stuff down is NEVER progress!

I have no signature

I want NVidia to make their code optimized, not overtessellate, not be APEX based, and be completely open to the developer, that can optimize the code for both NVidia and AMD (with collaboration with AMD). You know just like TressFX.

Freesync is the driver implementation that uses Adaptive Sync. Freesync has no consequence for anyone, including NVidia and it's customers. So what is your point?

NVidia could make a driver implementation, and even call it Gsync, that uses Adaptive Sync.

Well then keep dreaming cause that ain't going to happen.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Tress FX does not impact performance nearly as much though, I can run it fine even with a 6870/GTX 570.

What is your FPS when Tress FX is off ??? and when it's on ?

I can run it fine on my 750Ti but it has am impact.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

What is your FPS when Tress FX is off ??? and when it's on ?

I can run it fine on my 750Ti but it has am impact.

60 with

60 without

280 is more than enough to run.