YouTube Will Completely Remove Videos Of Creators Who Don’t Sign Its Red Subscription Deal

YouTube made its top video creators an offer they literally couldn’t refuse, or they’d have their content disappear. Today YouTube confirmed that any “partner” creator who earns a cut of ad revenue but doesn’t agree to sign its revenue share deal for its new YouTube Red $9.99 ad-free subscription will have their videos hidden from public view on both the ad-supported and ad-free tiers. That includes videos by popular comedians, musicians, game commentators, and DIY instructors, though not the average person that uploads clips.

Google says the goal is to offer consistency, so people thinking about subscribing to Red don’t have to worry about their favorite content not being available in the ad-free service. But there’s no explanation why it couldn’t just flag videos of those who don’t sign the deal as “Not On Red”, and instead had to go with a sign-or-disappear strategy.

The money will be split up according to watch time, so creators with longer videos could benefit more than quick clip producers. And to be clear, the removal situation and deal only apply to YouTube partners — very popular creators who already had a deal to earn 55% of ad revenue from their videos. Normal people uploading home videos to YouTube don’t have to worry about any of this.

Source: http://techcrunch.com/2015/10/21/an-offer-creators-cant-refuse/

Personally i disagree with this method. It is such an underhand strategy to make creators provide content for their services. I believe that they should provide a great platform for creators until the creators want to join their service. This bullying method is not the way to do it.

Well, there goes the weird part of youtube.

Nah, you have to have ads up on your videos to be forced into it.

Pro Tip: don't use flash when taking pictures of your build; use a longer exposure instead. Prop up your camera with something (preferably a tripod) if necessary.

if you use retarded/autistic/etc to mean stupid please gtfo

this is being blown up out of proportion, people who have adverts up already have to sign the ToS agreement, this is no different, if you refuse the ToS then you dont get to upload

Honestly this is like the least important thing ever, of course people using the platform have to agree to the terms and conditions of the website

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

this is being blown up out of proportion, people who have adverts up already have to sign the ToS agreement, this is no different, if you refuse the ToS then you dont get to upload Honestly this is like the least important thing ever, of course people using the platform have to agree to the terms and conditions of the website

SC I kinda agree with you. YouTube is a business and something like this YouTube Red is a good thing. It feels like a Twitch Turbo subscription with sub chat included.

The way YouTube is implementing this though is what's bothering me. It's basically extortion in the same way the ToS was. The sponsors Linus Media Group (LMG) gets are due to their own hard work. YouTube asks a fee for their platform and I think it's dirty because you profit of someone else's hard work, but it is understandable.

YouTube can say to guys like LMG, We're moving Scrapyard wars behind a paywall. Agree or your business is over!

This is negotiating while pointing a gun at the other side. That's what's bothering me most, maybe not even the fact that content will be exclusive to Red subs (which does suck in my opinion).

I do feel YouTube Red is a good thing though and I see a great future ahead of it. The way YouTube forces this on their content creators though is dirty in my opinion.

I do feel YouTube Red is a good thing though and I see a great future ahead of it. The way YouTube forces this on their content creators though is dirty in my opinion.

There is no "paywall" yet - every video is available for free, if you subscribe, then you dont get adverts

The reason you need to sign the TOS is because if somebody is on Red, and watches your video, you get a share of the revenue from their subscription - so you need to agree to it, and set up your account to get paid via youtube subscriptions as well as adverts

The only time I would condone videos being locked away behind paying, is something like a TV show that is funded by YouTube - a bit like netflix - but these could easily be add supported - with 2 minutes of adverts every 15 minutes, a bit like a cable TV station

(am I making sense)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There is no "paywall" yet - every video is available for free, if you subscribe, then you dont get adverts

The reason you need to sign the TOS is because if somebody is on Red, and watches your video, you get a share of the revenue from their subscription - so you need to agree to it, and set up your account to get paid via youtube subscriptions as well as adverts

The only time I would condone videos being locked away behind paying, is something like a TV show that is funded by YouTube - a bit like netflix - but these could easily be add supported - with 2 minutes of adverts every 15 minutes, a bit like a cable TV station

(am I making sense)

Well my videos make like 3 cents. I have to pay $10 for that. Or remove ads I guess. Too lazy rn.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Well my videos make like 3 cents. I have to pay $10 for that. Or remove ads I guess. Too lazy rn.

True

There is only one potential issue for youtube creators, and that involved those like LMG and their inline ads.  Will those have to be stripped out to monetize the videos now?

When Linus does a promo for lynda.com or some other service and has an in video ad spot, he is doing an ad, but it's not really a youtube ad it's his own ad.  

This is potentially problematic because if he does have to strip those linus ads out, that applies to the non paying user base as well, and I suspect most of the Linus kid viewers will not be paying for anything.  So the the majority of his viewers will have a good chunk of their mining potential removed.

But if youtube is more lenient on the inline ads, allowing them while ALSO adding the subscription service, this can ONLY be positive.  It should just flat out ad more revenue to creators in that scenario.

Remember too, creators will be rewarded now for more viewing time.  The WAN show just instantly became a LOT more valuable money wise to from the viewers who are using youtube red since they spend a lot more time watching that than a throng of short little videos.  People who did nothing but make short but popular videos were king, less time to create, more ads shown in more rapid fire.  A paid sub model will shift the incentives and allow SOME creators who want to create more long form content to be rewarded for that.

Think about it.  Youtube has like 1 ad at the start of a wan show that lasts an hour and a half....   You can't monetize that based off an ad model like shorter videos, but if it's based off time viewed with the sub model, it makes a hell of a lot more sense.  Of course, most stuff will not be behind a sub only model, so the ad viewers/blockers would still drag down the incentives for long form content creators, but this addition gives some additional revenue to people who had none in those formats.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...