iPhone 6s camera shows no improvement over the 6

Mew

DXOMark has ranked the 6s behind the iPhone 6, putting it as the 10th best smartphone camera.

From our tests, images are generally well-exposed and for the most part colors are vivid and pleasing outdoors. However, there are occasional differences in exposure noticeable between consecutive captures in very bright outdoor scenes, typically due to the inconsistent activation of the HDR mode. There is also a slight but consistent underexposure in extremely low light levels (5 lux); the result however is still quite usable and an improvement over the iPhone 6.  White balance is reliable though inevitably some inaccuracies were noticeable at times, with a slight yellow cast visible in some outdoor scenes. Although this cast was present in captures from the iPhone 6 the cast was slightly stronger and more noticeable on the 6s.

Some color shading was noticeable in our indoor test scenes under low light levels, but not in brightly and uniformly lit outdoor scenes, as it is the case for some other devices.

Autofocus was fast and generally accurate under our various test conditions. However, autofocus using the touch-to-focus mode, while generally good, is slightly less reliable than the iPhone 6 in our low light tests.

Like the iPhone 6, the 6s has some noise visible in daylight over large expanses of uniform color such as blue skies and, as many of its competitors, across the frame in low light scenes. However, the luminance noise is finer grained and less visually obtrusive than its predecessor.

Importantly, images retain good levels of detail outdoors in bright lighting and slightly improved on its forerunner, but –despite the extra pixels- in low light levels detail preservation is no different.

In terms of artifacts, the iPhone’s camera generally performs quite well but occasionally shows some moiré on high-frequency patterns -such as fine fabrics and metal grills in cityscapes. We also observed some ghosting artifacts -as a consequence of the HDR activation- and some flare, though the lens isn’t shielded like some other mobile cameras.

Lastly, the exposure with built-in flash was well-centered and accurate, with good detail and pleasing color, but images showed greatly reduced illumination in the corners and there was a slightly pink tint in images, resulting from white balance inaccuracies when mixed with tungsten lighting (at 20 lux).

Scores.jpg

IMO, this is a disappointing result to see because of how good this phone is (from what I've heard). The bright side is that the landscape has changed and people no longer have to resort to iPhones for a great camera experience.

Source:

http://www.dxomark.com/Mobiles/Apple-iPhone-6s-review-Solid-and-compelling-performance

Off-topic: Microsoft Edge is so frustrating to use on this forum. Quotes takes 2 clicks to work, copy and paste doesn't even work -_-

Edit: I just thought of this. This also proves, in a way, that megapixels don't really add much to the image quality (once it reaches a single point).

its apple

/thread

Rigs I've Built

The Striker i5 4590 @ 3.7 ||  MSI GTX 980 Armor X2 || Corsair RMX 750 || Team Elite Plus 8 GB || Define S || MSI Z97S SLI Krait

The Office PC i3 4160 @ 3.6 || Intel 4600 || EVGA 500B || G.Skill 8 GB || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M Pro4

The Friend PC G3258 @ 4.3 || Sapphire R9 280X Tri-X || EVGA 600B || 8 GB Dell Ram || Cooler Master N200 || ASRock H97M- iTX/ac

The Mom Gaming PC A10-7890K @ 4.4 || iGPU + ASUS R7 250 ||  8 GB Klevv DDR3-2800 Mhz

Even with a reasonable amount of added megapixels?

Sig under construction.

Crazy how nearly all of the smartphones in the top 10 feature a Sony sensor.

Hmm, and where's the Note 5 in that list?

Sig under construction.

It's not yet tested. The 6s+ is also not yet tested.

I don't think it matters on a phone. If you want to take good pictures you should invest 500 bucks on a mirrorless and 300 on a phone, not 800 on a phone.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's not yet tested. The 6s+ is also not yet tested.

Okay, I predict the 6s+ will be slightly better than the 6s because of OIS.

Sig under construction.

its apple

/thread

Yep. Considering they held the camera back from the original iPad so that the iPad 2 had something new.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yep. Considering they held the camera back from the original iPad so that the iPad 2 had something new.

Well, the iPad 2 is twice as fast as the original iPad due to the dual core (vs the single core) as well as much faster graphics among other things.

I don't think it matters on a phone. If you want to take good pictures you should invest 500 bucks on a mirrorless and 300 on a phone, not 800 on a phone.

You're right, there's no point of spending $300 on a phone to browse the web when a $300 laptop or tablet can do it better. There's no point of spending $100 on a phone when you can get a simple flip phone and a dslr and a tablet.

Crazy how nearly all of the smartphones in the top 10 feature a Sony sensor.

Sony makes amazing sensors. Look at how good Sony/Nikon DSLR sensors are compared to Canon's atm; a lot more dynamic range and better iso performance.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Sony/A7R-II

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Nikon/D810

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Canon/EOS-5DS

RIP in pepperonis m8s

But wut about dat 12mp upgrade?

The megapixel race really is meaningless after all.

That Z5 is looking Juicy @MKBHD

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

What you're really doing when purchasing an Apple product...

attachicon.gifthrowing-money.gif

Dat accuracy , it's like looking at an art masterpiece & every aspect of it makes sense as look at it more.. :')

Details separate people.

I tried the camera on my mom's 6S and it was really laggy :S Maybe they need to add a new mini iOS update, cuz my 6 isnt that laggy and its on the prior iOS :(

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Well it HAS improved, since it gets the same score but with a higher resolution, also 4k vidoe and better performance etc

Sure dynamic range and ISO performance might not have changed, but the camera is still an improvment, and still in the top 10

lets not forget, its an S phone which is more about performance upgrade!, lets see what the iPhone 7 can bring :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You're right, there's no point of spending $300 on a phone to browse the web when a $300 laptop or tablet can do it better. There's no point of spending $100 on a phone when you can get a simple flip phone and a dslr and a tablet.

Is this sarcastic or are you not the fastest moped on the harbour?

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

The Note 5 uses the same sensors as the Galaxy S6, DxOMark likely sees there as being no reason to retest it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Meh, call me when a smartphone has a cmos sensor with global shutter.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

The Note 5 uses the same sensors as the Galaxy S6, DxOMark likely sees there as being no reason to retest it.

But it might have the camera lottery that the S6 had between the Sony and the Samsung sensor. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/361607-not-every-galaxy-s6-has-the-same-camera-but-samsung-says-thats-okay/

Edit: Wow, didn't know that Victorious Secret got banned

But it might have the camera lottery that the S6 had between the Sony and the Samsung sensor.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/361607-not-every-galaxy-s6-has-the-same-camera-but-samsung-says-thats-okay/

Edit: Wow, didn't know that Victorious Secret got banned

There have been no reported differences between the sensors, and even if there were differences, they're very minor, Samsung's QC has been good in that regard.

And yes, Victorious has been banned for quite some time at this point.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.