Not every Galaxy S6 has the same camera, but Samsung says that's okay

article_190197082_flag5_1_.jpg

Samsung? Sony? Whats the difference? 

At least that is what Samsung wants to assure customers after it was made known that the S6/Edge come to party with two different sensors. One from Sony, one from Samsung. Some people had phones with both sensors from different companies, others with phones with sensors from the same company. 

Samsung assures everyone that the QC is stringent and that differences between the two sensors is negligible at best, I just have to wonder why they'd double dip so much in the first place. I can understand if Sony or Samsung were having yield issues that prevented such massive orders, to me it seems like they did even more work to coordinate two different sensors to pump out the same shots. 

But there it is. A "the more you know" moment. Don't think people could've actually told the difference had no one bothered to look, which in all fairness goes to show Samsung did a good job in quality control for both sensors 

When contacted by The Verge, Samsung explained that it sets stringent quality standards for the user experience of its phones and only uses components that live up to those expectations. In other words, you'll have an awesome 16-megapixel camera, no matter the particulars of the hardware inside:

"The Galaxy S6 and S6 Edge utilize camera sensors from several different vendors. Like all of the technology used in our products, they meet our strict global quality and performance standards."

Samsung declined to elaborate on how the different Sony and Samsung sensors are distributed geographically, or the specific reason for why a universal part isn't used across the entire range. SamMobile has already managed to perform a side-by-side comparison between the two Galaxy S6 camera versions, and the results seem to agree with Samsung's self-assessment. Image quality in the sample images appears to be a tie between the two sensors, with Samsung's ISOCELL showing a slight advantage with a better white balance than the Sony chip.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/6/8558739/samsung-galaxy-s6-sony-camera-sensor

does it takes better pictures than my iphone 4 camera ?

yes ?

thats good nuf for me whatever sensor is in it

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

Still a fail.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Well, atleast we now know that Sony actually CAN make good camera sensors. Who knew.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I cant look at a samsung phone ever again x-x. LG :D or Asus i guess, :P at least theyr phones do feel and work great. Samsung is just like nintendo for me lmao "Special 3DS" and "Exclusive korean super phones".

Groomlake Authority

Sony makes some of the best sensors in the business...

And yet their Z series phones are always behind Samsung and LG in photo quality.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Well, atleast we now know that Sony actually CAN make good camera sensors. Who knew.

Where'd that come from? I don't think I've ever seen a bad Sony sensor.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

And yet their Z series phones are always behind Samsung and LG in photo quality.

Over-processed ≠ better photo

You do realize Sony provides mobile sensors for almost every big player out there? They even give Apple custom designed, one offs for theirs? to say nothing of what Sony does in the full frame space with their 35mm and medium format sized sensors. To say even less of what they provide in cine cameras. 

Sony does a lot of things wrong. Their camera division is a bright spot for the industry however. 

They aren't bad, but they aren't amazing either. Never perform better than any orther smartphone sensor.

Over-processed ≠ better photo

It's not about that. Sony themselves over-process their images, their sensor is 20.7mp and yet superior auto spits out 8mpix photos. 

Spoiler

Xperia Z ultra, nuff said lol. The camera takes okay photos in well lit scenarios, but anything that is slightly dark will look super potato-y. I think they should have left out the camera, since the left out the flash.

The LG G3 has a Sony sensor. IMX135 Exmor RS, if it means anything to you.

The LG G3 has a Sony sensor. IMX135 Exmor RS, if it means anything to you.

So? That is exactly what I mean, their own phones somehow don't do as well as competitors.

Spoiler

So? That is exactly what I mean, their own phones somehow don't do as well as competitors.

But why does that matter here? Their sensors are fine, Samsung is using one of their sensors, in itself that's just not a problem at all.

The only problem is if there's a significant difference between S6s with the Samsung sensor and S6s with the Sony sensor. If all of them had the Sony sensor (or the Samsung sensor), this wouldn't be a story at all.

But why does that matter here? Their sensors are fine, Samsung is using one of their sensors, in itself that's just not a problem at all.

The only problem is if there's a significant difference between S6s with the Samsung sensor and S6s with the Sony sensor. If all of them had the Sony sensor (or the Samsung sensor), this wouldn't be a story at all.

Who said it matters here. I just made a comment on how Sony cannot utilize their own sensors in their own phones.

Spoiler

Who said it matters here. I just made a comment on how Sony cannot utilize their own sensors in their own phones.

No, you didn't. You said that, inferring that Sony couldn't make good sensors. Everyone told you how wrong you were, so you moved the goalposts of the argument. 

No, you didn't. You said that, inferring that Sony couldn't make good sensors. Everyone told you how wrong you were, so you moved the goalposts of the argument. 

I did mean all along that Sony phones didn't take pictures that come out as good. Came out wrong and now that I look at it I definitelly typed it wrong.  :(

Spoiler

No, the fact is Sony makes the best image sensors. 

doesnt sony make the iphone 6 and 6 plus cameras also

so they are unable to precisely tell/promote the sensor from the phone without a chance they straight out lie?

come on samsung, this isn't something you are getting populair with, i think not even allowed in certain countries to brand 2 phones with 2 sensors as exactly the samething.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Most companies with critical supply demands use redundant OEM systems.   It's very common in the automotive industry, your ignition coils could be Bosch in one car then the very next car to roll of the production line could have Nippon denso, same with washer bottle, leads, plugs, ALL critical engine sensors, control modules, etc etc etc. 

To add to the actual discussion though, If I bought one, even thought the quality technically should be the same, I would hope to get one with the sony sensor. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

About time for Canon and Nikon to make a smartphone

/bazinga

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Samsung also makes fantastic camera sensors in their NX line up. I'm not surprised that there is little to no quality degradation between the two. As long as the sensors aren't from Canon  :lol: