Thread derailed big time :D more opinions needed!

JSG509

As the title states why so much hype are they really that great?  All I see in this sub forum is people recommending them left and right even when people clearly say they have budgets way over the price of the clouds.  Not a hate thread just genuinely curious. If they are that great i might pick a set up my self. 

On a side note Im looking to get a nicer headset for my self. I think anything would be better then what I have currently, Razer BlackShark's, that I have had for about 4 years now. Things Im looking for are closed back design preferably, must have a mic integrated, and above all ells must be extremely comfortable something my current headset lacks, don't know why I put up with it for as long as I have.

I know most of you prefer the Headphone standing Mic combo but I just hate the idea of having a mic on the desk or even elevated on a boom of some kind.  I know master race but I guess Im not there yet.  

My budget is $500.00 USD can go higher money is really not an issue but im all about not spending more then I need. I would also be open to headset plus dac amp combo setup if the head set needs it.  Currently have an Asus x99 deluxe motherboard so using on board sound at the moment.  

Thank you in advance for any recommendations you give.  

Update: Purchased Philip Fidelios x2 and they are great but on board audio is not enough I want more please. Any Amp/ dac recommendations? Dont worry about a budget just recommend what ever is good.

UPDATE: Now purchased Schiit Magni amp and Modi dac as well as Some Beyerdynamic DT 1770 pro.  

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

because apparently its the best headset ever which i have a hard time believing

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

As the title states why so much hype are they really that great?  All I see in this sub forum is people recommending them left and right even when people clearly say they have budgets way over the price of the clouds.  Not a hate thread just genuinely curious. If they are that great i might pick a set up my self. 

On a side note Im looking to get a nicer headset for my self. I think anything would be better then what I have currently, Razer BlackShark's, that I have had for about 4 years now. Things Im looking for are closed back design preferably, must have a mic integrated, and above all ells must be extremely comfortable something my current headset lacks, don't know why I put up with it for as long as I have.

I know most of you prefer the Headphone standing Mic combo but I just hate the idea of having a mic on the desk or even elevated on a boom of some kind.  I know master race but I guess Im not there yet.  

My budget is $500.00 USD can go higher money is really not an issue but im all about not spending more then I need. I would also be open to headset plus dac amp combo setup if the head set needs it.  Currently have an Asus x99 deluxe motherboard so using on board sound at the moment.  

$500 for a headset wut

At that price point you can get some upsurd headphones and a hella nice mic.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

They are good for headsets, but that is just because many headsets are quite bad (sometimes even garbage)

They are good if you really want gaming headphones with a mic built in I guess, but I would still say mic+headphones master race ;)

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They are good for headsets, but that is just because many headsets are quite bad (sometimes even garbage)

They are good if you really want gaming headphones with a mic built in I guess, but I would still say mic+headphones master race ;)

IDK I guess if you could sell me on a nice set up I would open to the idea.

i7 5820k, Asus Deluxe x99 3.1 board, 2 Strix980tis Sli, Intel 480gb SSD, 4T WD Black, Asus PG278Q, Acer xb271hu, UpDesk! 

For that budget, seperate mic and some good headphones

but if you MUST have a headset, MMX300 is amazing :) I really love mine, i did a review if you want to check them out :)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Looking at any review, you can see why. I personally enjoy my Sennheiser headset but I don't use the microphone so its like an HD 500 series.

$500 for a headset wut

The budget is also for a dac amp as well. 

I have a pair and I find them really good if you want some good quality, comfortable headphones with a decidedly mediocre mic as well for a really good price. It's really all about the great sound quality and the price, the mic isn't that good from my experience.

That said, the Cloud Is are just as good, but without surround sound. In fact, I would have bought the Cloud Is but the IIs were on sale and actually cheaper than the Cloud Is :)

Project White Lightning (My ITX Gaming PC): Core i5-4690K | CRYORIG H5 Ultimate | ASUS Maximus VII Impact | HyperX Savage 2x8GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Black 1TB | Sapphire RX 480 8GB NITRO+ OC | Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ITX | Corsair AX760 | LG 29UM67 | CM Storm Quickfire Ultimate | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | HyperX Cloud II | Logitech Z333

Benchmark Results: 3DMark Firestrike: 10,528 | SteamVR VR Ready (avg. quality 7.1) | VRMark 7,004 (VR Ready)

Other systems I've built:

Core i3-6100 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI H110M ECO | Corsair Vengeance LPX 1x8GB DDR4  | ADATA SP550 120GB | Seagate 500GB | EVGA ACX 2.0 GTX 1050 Ti | Fractal Design Core 1500 | Corsair CX450M

Core i5-4590 | Intel Stock Cooler | Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI | HyperX Savage 2x4GB DDR3 | Seagate 500GB | Intel Integrated HD Graphics | Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W

I am not a professional. I am not an expert. I am just a smartass. Don't try and blame me if you break something when acting upon my advice.

...why are you still reading this?

but if you MUST have a headset, MMX300 is amazing :) I really love mine, i did a review if you want to check them out :)

or just get a good pair of headphones and attach a modmic

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

or just get a good pair of headphones and attach a modmic

the mod mic is pretty poo IMO, great for people on a budget, but if you have $500 for audio you can get  a WAY better mic

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Looking at any review you can see why.

Some of the reviews I am seeing say they have a crap mic. I guess if you use anything besides TeamSpeak it is bad. I my self only ever use TS so I guess it would not be a bad thing. 

Some of the reviews I am seeing say they have a crap mic. I guess if you use anything besides TeamSpeak it is bad. I my self only ever use TS so I guess it would not be a bad thing. 

I've seen a lot of people using them at lans etc. The microphone isn't the best but it sure beats a lot of the "gaming" headsets.

HyperX Cloud is the VALUE headset. It's the best sounding for the price. Anything above it's price it's always better to go separate.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Point still stands, and you don't always need a DAC.

GTX 980 Ti / 5820k / 16 GB DDR4 / 500 GB SSD / ATH-M50X

Point still stands, and you don't always need a DAC.

Ok, so what are you using for Audio and what would you recommend? 

These guys no a lot more than me http://www.head-fi.org/

Thanks for the link.  

Hey just checked them out do you have a link to your review?

Because they are basically rebrands of Takstar Pro80s/Gemini DJ HSR-1000 with a mic, which are already pretty decent closed headphones for the price. 

Since they decided to use an existing pair of decent sounding headphones instead of going with those gimmicky 7.1 stuff, it's only natural that people will eventually find them "good."

the mod mic is pretty poo IMO, great for people on a budget, but if you have $500 for audio you can get  a WAY better mic

I have a Mod Mic and it sounds pretty good -- I had to record a video presentation for something and it didn't sound bad by any means. (sure, it's no professional mic, but I can't think of any downsides to using a Mod Mic outside of professional use). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Hey just checked them out do you have a link to your review?

$500 for a headset wut

$500 headphones are generally good, not absurd. Also, nice mics generally cost more than half of the OPs budget, so you wouldn't be able to get a "hella nice" mic and great headphones for the budget.

IDK I guess if you could sell me on a nice set up I would open to the idea.

Honestly, a separate mic is going to serve you much better than a headset would. You could go for a Philips Fidelio X2, and a vmoda boompro. That's a pretty good combo, and it gives you about $150 left for a dac/amp, although I'd like to point out that you probably won't need one, given that the Fidelios should be sufficiently sensitive. If you do insist on getting one though, an SMSL SD 793-II is pretty much as good as you'll ever need. Only caveat is that it's coax only, so if your motherboard doesn't have coax, you'll have issues, in which case there are other options, but that's the best one.

As stated in previous posts, the hyperx are based on the takstar pro 80, which is already a decent headphone. That's why they are so hyped. They are actually decent headphones first, and they just happen to have a decent enough mic, so everyone is blown away by the quality, although you could just get a pro 80 and a Zalman clip mic, and be just as well off.

As I said above, you probably don't need one, but it's up to you.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

Because it is the best <100$ gaming headset, as it is a real pair of headphones

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."