Apple reinvents headphone jack.. thinner iDevices on the way?

jos

Kinda broke my note 3 since I got a note 5....

I'm looking at getting a Note 5 actually in the coming weeks, simply for a better camera. 

Plus it would be nice to switch it up. Even though I never used the S pen other than for doodling with friends

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Why? When you plug it on it's just like a normal connector.

A freaking MASSIVE "normal connector"

Apple is known for going full retard (eg. Macbook 2015).

They should have just given it a second type C port and all would have been good but the chipset wouldn't support it. :(

They should have just given it a second type C port and all would have been good but the chipset wouldn't support it. :(

I compared the Macbook to the cheaper Macbook Air with more I/O and a better battery life in store (both models had 1 set up as a demo), and I'd take an Air over a Macbook any day-the retina displays really don't matter that much on smaller displays. I then compared it to a Asus Transformer Prime (the second 64GB Tegra 3 version-I helped my Mum pick it out), and it also had far more functionality than the Macbook (same as the Air). And Apple sacrificed most of the I/O for thinness.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I compared the Macbook to the cheaper Macbook Air with more I/O and a better battery life in store (both models had 1 set up as a demo), and I'd take an Air over a Macbook any day-the retina displays really don't matter that much on smaller displays. I then compared it to a Asus Transformer Prime (the second 64GB Tegra 3 version-I helped my Mum pick it out), and it also had far more functionality than the Macbook (same as the Air). And Apple sacrificed most of the I/O for thinness.

I couldn't stand the crap display on the air especially when compared to the options they have on their other models.

For a model laptop like that what do you need the I/O really? <-- I think this is what they were thinking.

OMG, Finally, I have been getting really tired of those bulky headphone connectors

Disclaimer: I don't have any Apple products anyway, so i don't really care what they do

And next comes the iEars for $100

My Rig: i7-3770K, EVGA gtx980 SC, Asus P8-Z77 V-Pro, 2X Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD, 1X 850 Evo 1TB SSD, Corsair Obsidian 650D, 2X8GB Gskill Ripjaws, Seasonic X-850w PSU, Corsair H100i, 2X Asus vg248qe, Corsair Sabre RGB, 2X Corsair K95 RGB, Hyper X Cloud II

Corsair Krew - Lifetime Member  ASUS Krew - Lifetime Member  Samsung Krew - Lifetime Member EVGA Krew - Lifetime Member  Intel Krew - Lifetime Member

Type C is too thick for apple ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

or they could just do Bluetooth earbuds/headphones and need no connector at all. Just have the earbuds/headphones connect to a small battery pack that doubles as a chain/necklace. Honestly, I use my BT earpiece to listen to music, and I get hours of playtime before needing a 20 minute recharge. If I had a tiny battery pack I could listen for a couple days straight. I guess BT isn't proprietary enough for apple...

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

And then they'll ride the reversible type-c connector to the end of the world... ridiculous.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

this doesn't look good, it going to be a terrible transition like when they change to the lighting connector. 

this doesn't look good, it going to be a terrible transition like when they change to the lighting connector.

new phone should have already had type like every other phone since it was finalized.

Could they not just re-use old 2.5mm connectors that some phones had back in the day?

because now they can make more money

Pico sim

Shouldn't be unless there was an active adapter. USB is not passively backwards compatible with serial much less parallel. It also wouldn't show up as USB 2.0. The other kicker is that PS/2 is a very specific standard and only supports standard keyboards and mice. So i call BS all around.

Maybe apple will have to put decent strain relief of their cables for once? The headphones are horrible and the lightning cable seems to be designed to break at the same point every single time.

well there are articles on it online so go look at them if you don't believe it 

it dosnt mater how i look at it it just dosnt make much sense

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

If I have to buy specialty headphones or adapters I'll get an android and hate my life as much as you android guys do. 

No you won't. You'll just pay for the Beats like all the other Apple guys.

Iphone 7: New Charging port new, New headphone jack and now New Sim card slot. 

inb4 apple "re-invents" the sim card, now 50% smaller! lol

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Well they can't make the sims any smaller, so now it'll be a built in logical sim that you have to ask for apple's blessing to use.

It is interesting to me as a european how this will work in regards to dual sim. A few of my friends have them because they have simcards from two different countries.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Hmmm. What if the "Z" dimension actually allows for an 2.5mm jack to still be used if plugged in? You could use two different types of connectors then: Standard 2.5mm and Apple's shaved 3.5mm.

To be honest this is quite an improvement for low profile designs, only downside is that it it can't rotate the jack, and the fact it's a new connector. Maybe we'll see it prototyped on the Macbook before the iPhone?

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

very soon these phones will be so thin i can't have it on me on a plane

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

Hooray Apple. You realized that you don't need a cylindrical object to make an electrical connection. They could to the same thing, but shave it down on the opposing side, even more so than what they did, and as long as all 4 pins make contact with the contact points. Bam. Connection.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Do you know what I really like about 3.5mm headphone jacks? That I don't have to worry about how I plug it in. I'd prefer a thicker phone anyway with a larger battery.

How could the chipset not support another USB device? Totally curious. Type-C is simply a connector. I wouldn't think that would have any interference with the chipset..

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

I wonder how thin the Apple engineers can make something. Sooner or later, physical materials will be too thick and Apple is going to invest into holograms :D.