Is it just me or people misunderstand what light gaming is.

SwiftXShadow

When ever i see someone say computer for "light gaming", people instantly go suggesting for cheaper GPUs.

Light gaming dosnt mean playing low end games, but not spending most of your time on games.

U can be a light gamer and still paly GTA V or Witcher 3. Not spending a lot of your time on them dosnt mean that you wont need a proper gaming computer.

Gamer, light gamer and hardcore gamer really have no difference in their computer spec needs.

Then when someone says they want a gaming or hardcore gaming pc, the spec suggestions somehow jump to things that OCing guys need, even tho most gamers have no clue what overclocking even is.

Typically a light gamer won't care about graphics fidelity. 

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

When Light gaming comes to my mind, I immediately think of CoD, CSGO and MineCraft

But that isnt light gaming, light gaming is a person who spends little time on gaming.

My father is what you would call a light gamer, he enjoys playing GTA V, but he will ONLY play it when he literally has nothing else that he needs to do, like maybe once every few days for an hour or so. He is a principal of a school so basically work and anything else will always come first for him.

Can he do with a low spec computer just because he play it so little? no.

But that isnt light gaming, light gaming is a person who spends little time on gaming.

My father is what you would call a light gamer, he enjoys playing GTA V, but he will ONLY play it when he literally has nothing else that he needs to do, like maybe once every few days for an hour or so. He is a principal of a school so basically work and anything else will always come first for him.

If you rarely play a game, why get a GPU you'll rarely,use? A R7 370 or GTX 950 should be more then enough for light gaming. R9 380 if you want some more appealing settings.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

no, light gaming is playing game that very light, ex : DotA2, LoL, ( atleast that what a learned from ASUS Strix video ) load gaming, ex : GTA V, COD, BF4

Low End Gaminf vs Light Gaming.

There is a difference

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Well GPU wise, is it a heavy game to run or something light that can easily be played. It's like I do light gaming on my Titan X. The thing that comes to mind is small games. Not barely playing

If you rarely play a game, why get a GPU you'll rarely,use? A R7 370 or GTX 950 should be more then enough for light gaming. R9 380 if you want some more appealing settings.

If you dont get it then u cant play the game to the full extent.

The perception of "light gaming" is that you don't do it for competitive purposes or need a high performance rig to drive Intensive games. The term has become ubiquitous with easy to drive games that are played once in a while, and you come in, and try to bend the meaning of it. Call it what you want, but you can't do that.

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

When Light gaming comes to my mind, I immediately think of CoD, CSGO and MineCraft

CSGO is where you find a mass amount of hardcore gamers not light gamers lol.

i determine whether its light gaming or not on the build in question

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

The perception of "light gaming" is that you don't do it for competitive purposes or need a high performance rig to drive Intensive games. The term has become ubiquitous with easy to drive games that are played once in a while, and you come in, and try to bend the meaning of it. Call it what you want, but you can't do that.

You dont need a high end computer to play LoL, CSGO, Starcraft 2, Dota2 which are the most hardcore gamer games out there, but you do for GTA V or Witcher 3.

This isnt being but saying what the actual meaning of the word is, since people use the term wrong

Low End Gaminf vs Light Gaming.

There is a difference

^This

I couldnt figure out how to say it, but you did it for me :P

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

When ever i see someone say computer for "light gaming", people instantly go suggesting for cheaper GPUs.

Light gaming dosnt mean playing low end games, but not spending most of your time on games.

U can be a light gamer and still paly GTA V or Witcher 3. Not spending a lot of your time on them dosnt mean that you wont need a proper gaming computer.

Gamer, light gamer and hardcore gamer really have no difference in their computer spec needs.

Then when someone says they want a gaming or hardcore gaming pc, the spec suggestions somehow jump to things that OCing guys need, even tho most gamers have no clue what overclocking even is.

I don't build(like PCPP/theoretical/plan) machines based off of how much they will get used, I build then based off of what the person needs in terms of power. Light gaming to me is like source games and lower, so I would recommend lower end parts since the games wouldn't have any benefit otherwise. If someone wants to be MLG at Agar.io, a GTX 980 ti would make no sense even though they play 24/7.

I do get what you are saying though, never understood the logic with associating game time with power.

CSGO is where you find a mass amount of hardcore gamers not light gamers lol.

Some people don't play Comp, IDK why but yea

You dont need a high end computer to play LoL, CSGO, Starcraft 2, Dota2 which are the most hardcore gamer games out there, but you do for GTA V or Witcher 3.

This isnt being but saying what the actual meaning of the word is, since people use the term wrong

This is what I am talking about. you come in and try to tell everyone that light gaming must be a term of not gaming that often, but you NEED the best performance for when you do. WHEN

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

I do agree with how light gaming is not spending as much time as other gamers, however I still think the specs would differ between light gamers, average gamers, heavy gamers.

I'll use an analogy to different kinds of people who play basketball. There are people who just play once in a while, so they just use their normal running shoes. Then there are the average players, who have their own bball shoes, which they only use for bball. Then there are hardcore players, who got maybe got their own gear, different sets of shoes for indoor/outdoor and such.

I do believe that there is a correlation between how much time someone spends on an activity and how much money they spend towards that activity. Of course, in all statistics, there are outliers.

Don't game often != light gaming 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

U can be a light gamer and still paly GTA V or Witcher 3. 

THANK YOU

Linus once unboxed a Toblerone

This is what I am talking about. you come in and try to tell everyone that light gaming must be a term of not gaming that often, but you NEED the best performance for when you do. WHEN

If you have a computer that will run gta V at low settings 30 FPS it wont matter if u want to play it 16 hours a day or 1 hour a day, you just wont play it.

I do agree with how light gaming is not spending as much time as other gamers, however I still think the specs would differ between light gamers, average gamers, heavy gamers.

I'll use an analogy to different kinds of people who play basketball. There are people who just play once in a while, so they just use their normal running shoes. Then there are the average players, who have their own bball shoes, which they only use for bball. Then there are hardcore players, who got maybe got their own gear, different sets of shoes for indoor/outdoor and such.

I do believe that there is a correlation between how much time someone spends on an activity and how much money they spend towards that activity. Of course, in all statistics, there are outliers.

The spec imo would differ with gear, for example a hardcore gamer would want the best sound, some crazy mouse with lots of buttons etc.

While the light gamer would just want to play with good graphics and good FPS.

If you have a computer that will run gta V at low settings 30 FPS it wont matter if u want to play it 16 hours a day or 1 hour a day, you just wont play it.

To the point where you are not playing that often, it might not be worth it (its true) to get a $650 flagship graphics card to get butter smooth for when you play once in a while. For some people who don't have unlimited money and don't devote 8 hours a day to gaming, they might have to resort to a lower priced (and sure, lower performance) GPU for when they do play. And it is not like budget GPUS are out there are crap. There are some great GPUs out there for the money, which provide a value experience for people who don't play enough to even CARE about a better graphics solution.