Is it just me or people misunderstand what light gaming is.

SwiftXShadow

To the point where you are not playing that often, it might not be worth it (its true) to get a $650 flagship graphics card to get butter smooth for when you play once in a while. For some people who don't have unlimited money and don't devote 8 hours a day to gaming, they might have to resort to a lower priced (and sure, lower performance) GPU for when they do play. And it is not like budget GPUS are out there are crap. There are some great GPUs out there for the money, which provide a value experience for people who don't play enough to even CARE about a better graphics solution.

Your really dont need a 650$ GPU to play high end games, nor do hardcore gamers. Getting that titan x or gtx 980ti is usually something ppl WANT and not NEED.

Your really dont need a 650$ GPU to play high end games, nor do hardcore gamers. Getting that titan x or gtx 980ti is usually something ppl WANT and not NEED.

You were the one talking about Witcher 3... And I just said those flagship ones because I assumed you wanted everyone to have one for "LIGHT GAMING" *coughs and dies*

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

snip

They are whatever you interpret them to be. Because there is no established standard.

Always better to explain. Ask a vague question and get wildly varying answers that you won't expect.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

LIBERATOR: Core i5 6400 @ 2.7GHz | GeForce GTX 670 2 GB | HyperX Fury 8GB DDR4 @ 2133 MHz | 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD
My new build; Liberator, Check it out

The more friendly we are, the more helpful we are!

MY OLD BUILD (AKA PREBUILT MONSTROSITY)
INSANITY: AMD Athlon II X2 @ 3.0 GHz | Geforce GT 720 2 GB | 4 GB DDR3 @ 1333 MHz | 120 GB Silicon Power SSD | 500 GB Hitachi HDD

You were the one talking about Witcher 3... And I just said those flagship ones because I assumed you wanted everyone to have one for "LIGHT GAMING" *coughs and dies*

Witcher 3 or GTAV dosnt need a 650$+ GPU

Light gaming to me is a reference to the amount of time I have to play a game, not the QUALITY of the game experience. Maybe there needs to be a shift in the way the term is used or the way questions are asked?

Someone gives a vague statement that says they are into "light gaming", but need the computer for something else. Follow up question could be:

What type of in game quality are you expecting?

I consider my self a light gamer because I only put an average of like 5 hrs every two weeks into game time. But I still have built my self a PC that plays all of the games I play at settings I am Very happy with.

CPU: I7 8086K                              MOBO: Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5   RAM: 16Gb G-Skill 3200mHz

GPU: GTX 1070 FE 8GB            CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX           OS: Windows 10

PSU: EVGA 650G                      SSD: 250GB Samsung Evo                       HDD: 1000GB WD BLUE

I agree that the amount of time one plays games is far less important than the games played, but then why mention it?

If anyone asks you never saw me.

CSGO is where you find a mass amount of hardcore gamers not light gamers lol.

Uh not exactly. Community server game modes like Zombies Escape/Survival, KZ, Surf, etc. are all casual game modes. Just cause there's a comp mode doesn't mean that everyone who plays CSGO plays comp and is therefore a hardcore gamer.

Uh not exactly. Community server game modes like Zombies Escape/Survival, KZ, Surf, etc. are all casual game modes. Just cause there's a comp mode doesn't mean that everyone who plays CSGO plays comp and is therefore a hardcore gamer.

We arent talking about game mode we are talking about people.

U can play hello kitty online and be a hardcore gamer if u play it 18 hours a day.

And if u read my wording i dont say EVERYONE is a hardcore gamer there i say, that at CS.GO you can find a massive ammount of people who are hard core gamers.

A hardcore player and hardcore game mode are 2 different things.

Light gaming dosnt mean playing low end games, but not spending most of your time on games.

Well this is totally up for debate as "light" has no defined meaning when attached to Gaming because its a short phrase not a an official term which allows everyone has their own opinion/ thought as to what that phrase means.  Just as when people say it is "warm outside" as warm has a different meaning from person to person. So simply when someone specifies "Light" gaming that isn't enough information, same with the weather if the person says "its warm out there, it is 30C" then you know its warm but if one is not specific you really can't take their word for it.

Basically you have decided that what "Light Gaming" means to you and are questioning why the rest of world doesn't think same as you. And people need to be more specific - but that is not a new problem..... 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I've never heard the term light gaming, I'd assume it mean games that causes a light load on the computer as opposed to bigger games that causes a heavy load. 

"Casual gaming" is what you're looking for. It refers to short or light-hearted gaming sessions, there are games who are directly aimed towards it, but you can casually play any game. Although it's a bit misused and have gotten some unwarranted negativity, it's a much more known and clearer term than "light gaming".

I think the difference between casual and hardcore gaming is about effort. You can play a game for hours and it'd still be just casual gaming.

When I play League of Legends with my friends, I play it casually because being all serious will ruin the mood. When I play alone I'm trying my best to win, never giving up no matter how boring it is. 

I'm telling the truth! I AM a 12 year old girl!

i determine whether its light gaming or not on the build in question

You can't just make up your own definition, most people define light games as easy to run. Like minecraft, Dota etc. as they are light games that are generally cheaper, smaller (download size) and easier to run.

You can't just make up your own definition, most people define light games as easy to run. Like minecraft, Dota etc. as they are light games that are generally cheaper, smaller (download size) and easier to run.

i dont i just look at the specs and determine if its for light gaming or not

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

i dont i just look at the specs and determine if its for light gaming or not

Sorry, I thought you were OP. The previous comment doesn't relate to you.

Sorry, I thought you were OP. The previous comment doesn't relate to you.

ok

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com