I finally bought my first PC, any tips?

killerson69
Go to solution Solved by Litargirio,

CPU: Don't touch the top or the bottom. Always hold it by the edges

CPU cooler: don't touch the metal plate that makes contact with the CPU.

Mobo: Don't touch the CPU socket or nudge the capacitors (the small cylindrical things coming out of it). Try to always hold it by the edges. If you have the CPU and its cooler installed, lift the motherboard by the heatsync.

RAM: If the PCB is exposed, hold it by the edges and don't touch the PCB. If it's covered by a heat spreader, try to hold it by the edges; if you can't, don't apply pressure to it. Also, don't touch the metal pins at the bottom.

HDD: don't shake it, don't bump it into anything and always put it down carefully.

SSD: Don't bite it.

Expansion cards (graphics card): don't touch the metal pins. If pcb is exposed, don't touch it.

PSU: Make sure the power cord from the wall is removed before messing with any connectors.

take all your clothes off when building to avoid creating static electricity damage on your parts. Underwear is optional but not needed (I legit do this no pics though)

Don't touch the CPU, only by the sides

Handle everything with care.

Make sure you keep all of your drivers and stuff up to date.... 

And you would think I wouldn't have to say this (my friend is stupid)  but make sure you res on your games is changed to the right thing.... 

Since you're going to be putting most of your data on it, don't cheap out on the HD.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

take all your clothes off when building to remove static electricity damage on your parts. Underwear is optional but not needed

Don't touch the CPU only by the sides

Handle everything with care

This is actually a quite good tip, remember to do this

Watch as many tutorials on building a pc.

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

take all your clothes off when building to remove static electricity damage on your parts. Underwear is optional but not needed

You can still generate a charge.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Touch the CPU only by the sides

Ground yourself before each time you touch a part

Don't try to force anything, if you come into any issues make a post here again

Build on concrete or wood to almost eliminate static, but still ground yourself to be safe

Make sure you ground yourself, Touch power supply or the case or any metal part.

Intel Core i3 2100 @ 3.10GHz - Intel Stock Cooler - Zotac Geforce GT 610 2GB Synergy Edition

Intel DH61WW - Corsair® Value Select 4GBx1 DDR3 1600 MHz - Antec BP-300P PSU

WD Green 1TB - Seagate 2.5" HDD 1TB - Seagate Barracuda 500GB - Antec X1 E.

Make sure the CPU pins aren't bent, and when ya go to socket it, if it doesn't seem like it's dropping into place, DON'T force it. Make sure it's aligned properly.

-This space intentionally left blank-

Well, I finally got enough money to get my first PC (as shown here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2bVqzy). Any tips for a newbie builder?

Follow my guide to installing Windows.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

Yes, build the PC on a carpet to avoid static electricity.

Building a PC on carpet generates static electricty. In fact, the voltage can hit around 25,000.(I've read the IPC-A-610 document)

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

could have made some changes before buying the stuff..

Like the 390 is just all around better in every way than the 970, and it costs the same. Or getting the cheaper hitachi drive over seagate, and miles more reliability. Or getting the os from g2a or reddit.com/r/microsoftsoftwareswap for 15$ instead of almost 100$...

But oh well, that's in the past. 

As far as tips go,

• before you touch anything go over and just slap your fridge. (Touching a large, grounded metal object to ground yourself to avoid static discharge.)
  • Route the 8pin cpu power cable behind the motherboard, and out the top of the case BEFORE installing the motherboard for better cable management.
  • Have a philips screw driver with a magnetic bit, it won't damage components (unless you go spear fishing with it) and will help at getting those pesky screws out from cracks.
  • set your SSD as your primary boot device to actually make use of that speed.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

• I like to stand when assembling, so a table that is the right height is important.
  • Good room lightning. I use a work station light as well. It's important to see what you are doing.
  • A magnetic screw tray, keep all those easy to lose screws in this tray. I've dropped screws before and no matter how long I've looked they're MIA. I swear they must drop to another dimension.
  • A magnet screw driver.
  • A grounding strap, I attach mine to my ankle so it's not in the way. 
  • Don't be scared to give all those new instruction manuals a read through, especially the motherboard manual.
  • Do the initial assembly before committing internals to the case. IE: make sure that it posts ! If you have something DOA, that's the time to find out.
  • Cable management, cable management, cable management. Watch a few videos for tips and tricks. 
  • Plan for the build to take at least a few hours. Leave yourself plenty of time because you're in no rush. Better to get it right the first time.

Good luck !

A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on

• I like to stand when assembling, so a table that is the right height is important.
  • Good room lightning. I use a work station light as well. It's important to see what you are doing.
  • A magnetic screw tray, keep all those easy to lose screws in this tray. I've dropped screws before and no matter how long I've looked they're MIA. I swear they must drop to another dimension.
  • A magnet screw driver.
  • A grounding strap, I attach mine to my ankle so it's not in the way. 
  • Don't be scared to give all those new instruction manuals a read through, especially the motherboard manual.
  • Do the initial assembly before committing internals to the case. IE: make sure that it posts ! If you have something DOA, that's the time to find out.
  • Cable management, cable management, cable management. Watch a few videos for tips and tricks. 
  • Plan for the build to take at least a few hours. Leave yourself plenty of time because you're in no rush. Better to get it right the first time.

Good luck !

How in the bloody hell do you get the strap around your ankle? I tried that and even with me being skinny it's wouldn't come close to fitting. I have seen this mentioned but don't know how anyone pulls it off.

Oh, and use the ground strap. might seem silly but silly is better than ****ed.

If anyone asks you never saw me.

Ground yourself on your power supply while you're building or wear an anti-static wrist strap.

Install Windows, fully update windows, then install all of your programs.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

How in the bloody hell do you get the strap around your ankle? I tried that and even with me being skinny it's wouldn't come close to fitting. I have seen this mentioned but don't know how anyone pulls it off.

Oh, and use the ground strap. might seem silly but silly is better than ****ed.

Depending on the floor that you use to build your PC on, you can also use heel straps.