Lost interest in gaming and computer related stuff...

almoskosz

So, after about 8 years of constantly gaming, (I'm 17 now) I got to a point where I still sit down to my PC when I get home, the same way I did while still playing League, Battlefield, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Bioshock, WoT, Dark Souls and many other, but I don't know anymore what to do. I'm just listening to music doing nothing, sometimes scrolling through that Facebook feed several times reading the same things I did the time before. I burned out. I am trying to think about what to play, but can't decide. 

It's not fun, interesting, fascinating anymore. I lost a part of me.

This might be good, because that I'm not a nerd anymore, and that has it's advantages, but I couldn't replace this daily habit, this "activity" yet with something else. I used to read a LOT, but that faded too with me getting into games, and it's very difficult to sit down and read instead of that something I do sitting in front a monitor, or to do anything else outside, or with friends.

Has this happened to anyone yet? Probably. I'd like to have a conversation about this, or just share opinions, feelings. 

Thanks! :/

Yeah same thing happened to me. And I personally think that WoW (World of Warcraft) ruined a lot of games for me.

The feeling fades and comes back over time.

Kind of in the same boat myself, 22 now and used to game a lot but the last few years I've spent increasingly less time gaming(ironic considering it's only last year that I did my first true gaming build). Most of it caused by WoW leaving me jaded too i guess.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

18 is only a couple weeks away for me now and over the past year games just haven't felt the same. I doubt it's responsibility dawning on me or anything because I am the laziest S.O.B I know. I've been selective of what I play now and I've gone back and started playing 'the best'. I never really gave Hotline Miami much attention previously but now I'm hooked.

EDIT: I should probably also mention that now that I've played in shorter sessions and less frequently my attention span especially for learning has increased dramatically, perhaps the heretics were right all along...

Welcome to becoming an adult, enjoy the next soul crushing 60 years!

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

So, after about 8 years of constantly gaming, (I'm 17 now) I got to a point where I still sit down to my PC when I get home, the same way I did while still playing League, Battlefield, Hearthstone, Diablo 3, Bioshock, WoT, Dark Souls and many other, but I don't know anymore what to do. I'm just listening to music doing nothing, sometimes scrolling through that Facebook feed several times reading the same things I did the time before. I burned out. I am trying to think about what to play, but can't decide. 

This might be good, because that I'm not a nerd anymore, and that has it's advantages, but I couldn't replace this daily habit, this "activity" yet with something else. I used to read a LOT, but that faded too with me getting into games, and it's very difficult to sit down and read instead of that something I do sitting in front a monitor, or to do anything else outside, or with friends.

Has this happened to anyone yet? Probably. I'd like to have a conversation about this, or just share opinions, feelings. 

get into anime...and other stuff 

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

I lost for for about a year when i bought a console... Then said fuck it. I need a hobby. Then went back to PCs and PC gaming.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

I too had lost the hype feeling I used to have,also I tend to watch shows more now,than play games 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

This stuff happens a lot to me, what you could do is find more friends out there on the internet and possibly considering you're 17 get a part time job. That way you'd earn money and buy more games. If that option is irrelevant you could start programming or be a content creator. You still got a long way in front of ya kid!

DESKTOP PC :

CPU :RYZEN 5 2600/ GPU :MSI Ventus OC GTX 1660 Ti/ RAM :Team Elite 2x8/ PSU :Corsair CX650M/ HDD :Toshiba 2TB/ SSD :Adata XPG M.2 SATA 265GB/ COOLER :Be Quite 2x140mm / MOBO :Asus TUF B450 Gaming

LAPTOP :

CPU :i7-4710HQ/ GPU :GTX 860M/ RAM :8GB OEM/ HDD :1 TB 

PERIPHERALS :

MOUSE :LOGITECH G502/ HEADSET :HyperX Cloud Alpha/ KEYBOARD :Logitech G Pro 

POSSIBLE PC BUILD :

PC PART LINK

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

That's pretty normal. This does happen to all the people that are actually thinking and not just sitting in front of their TVs watching "news".
So consider yourself lucky, that you're not one of those retards.

You'll find new interests, but they won't magically come to you and ask you nicely if you're interested in them. You've to find them.  ;) 

So the first thing I would do is to make up your mind. I usually do that by listening to some music... :3

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

<--otaku who does fansubbing

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

As the other dude said, you'll come back into gaming and computers. Instead of gaming a lot I've been researching PC parts for a PC build. Which is kind of funny considering that I want the PC for games. Can't wait for FALLOUT 4. 

It happens to most of us, especially around your age (I myself am not too much older). It's not a bad thing at all. When you feel like that, simply do something else; focus on reading, playing an instrument (if you can), sport, whatever rocks your boat. The interest will come back soon enough.

You can also try computer-related things that you haven't explored yet; linux, programming, content creation, virtual machines, beowulf clusters...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I spend more time benchmarking and playing around with hardware in various ways than I do gaming.  I've been meaning to play games more but it just does not happen that way usually.  I think I'll go slay some pedestrians in gtav for a while now instead of cloning my gf's hdd to the ssd I just got for her.

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

It even happends to me im only 14 im just sitting on my chair going through wow garrison and thats it since the main game i play is wow i have nothin else to do xD

I felt like this before too(although I was younger than you are now). The thing that helped me get excited about games and computers was refraining from them and focusing on my other hobbies, like kendo, drones, piano, LOtR, etc.. 

Did my post help you? Then make sure to rate it!

Check out my post on symbolic links! || PSU ranking and tiers || Pokemon Thread

Get into Arduino and stuff like that.

Or find some old unknown games to play.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Same thing has happened to me several times, nothing wrong with it. 

I just take a break from it and do other things.

That's exactly what happened to me freshman year of college. Just suddenly didn't want to play CS:S, BF2, or any of the stuff I was playing back then. I can't remember exactly what got me into it, but I got huge into anime, namely fansubs (this was nearly 10 years ago). Kinda the same thing happened a few years later with anime though I still like it. I just don't go out of my way to watch anything new now. I mostly just watch older stuff I have every once in a while.

The anime had a slight side effect though. It's partially to blame for my love of JRPGs. Basically, I got back into video games but instead of online shooters and whatnot, it's JRPGs, action/adventure, indie, etc. It's more expensive but a lot more varied so I don't get burnt out near as easily.

It's normal to just go in phases. I do that with my car. I've owned the dang thing for 9 years now. About every other year, I suddenly want to start working on it again to turn it into that mad tight JDM yo CTR clone. Then I lose interest and piss all my money away on either video games or PC parts.

Yea im kinda like that atm, CS ruined my enjoyment for other games as I was really into it but now that I play other games and mainly casually it feels meh I need to buy some big AAA game w an open world again I guess. Might go for Fallout 4 I guess it's the only thing like that coming soon since MGS5 looks like a dissapointment

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Been there, might still be there.

Dark Souls ruined my gaming life and made every game I play a pile of shit. I sit down to a game of anything for a few minutes then get incredibly bored and have to stop playing.

Trying different games that you normally wouldn't try is a decent start though. Finding a game you'd actually enjoy is very difficult at this point. All the games that have been released feels more like chores then anything. Mad Max feels like crap, copy paste combat style, Mordor is the same deal, Far Cry 4 is another capture the base simulator, same with MGS5, it's endless crappy games after another for me. Needing something unique and interesting but can't find it.

Mid-range Emulation Gaming and Video Rendering PC

[CPU] i7 4790k 4.7GHz & 1.233v Delidded w/ CLU & vice method [Cooling] Corsair H100i [Mobo] Asus Z97-A [GPU] MSI GTX 1070 SeaHawk X[RAM] G.Skill TridentX 2400 9-11-11-30 CR1 [PSU] Corsair 750M 

You mention you used to read, maybe try pick that back up again, you might get a spark back for it; take a break from gaming and you might get a spark back for that too.

and we will live such tragedy in perpetuity.

17....at your Age i was out all the time, had Partys and dated Girls. Wtf are you waiting for?

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Been there, might still be there.

Dark Souls ruined my gaming life and made every game I play a pile of shit. I sit down to a game of anything for a few minutes then get incredibly bored and have to stop playing.

Trying different games that you normally wouldn't try is a decent start though. Finding a game you'd actually enjoy is very difficult at this point. All the games that have been released feels more like chores then anything. Mad Max feels like crap, copy paste combat style, Mordor is the same deal, Far Cry 4 is another capture the base simulator, same with MGS5, it's endless crappy games after another for me. Needing something unique and interesting but can't find it.

Hopefully Fallout 4 wont dissapoint. I might get it it would be my first Fallout game if I do but I will wait and see the reviews

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M