pfSense DIY Router Build Log pt 1

LinusTech

I wonder if Cisco makes any networking devices that use 12v DC as input instead of AC. And I wonder how that would affect UPS efficiency.

They do, at like 90 amps though

i7 4820K, 16GB Corsair Dom. Plat. and 8GB of Corsair Vengance(yes this works), Asus X79 Sabertooth, Corsair H100, 2x Asus DCUII R9 290, 2x WD RED 1TB in RAID 1, WD Caviar Black, Crucial M500 128GB Boot drive, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a RAID 0 enclosure for backup and scratch disks/SSD cache in a Corsair 780T.

Why cut the backplate and expose the metal to the solder points? Didnt luke just buy a fancy new 3d printer?

Why not walk up to luke and be like... hey... colab bro?

first off I would like to point out that your 1U passive CPU cooling is for an LGA 1156 and NOT an 1155 ( the socket type for your CPU) 

The entire LGA115x series uses the same mounting holes, socket-to-socket. If he were using an LGA775 cooler then there'd be a problem, but Intel hasn't changed the mounting holes the entire LGA115x series. As an example, my own cooler (Phanteks PH-TC14PE) advertises LGA1155 compatibility but works just fine with my LGA1150 motherboard.

Jeeze Linus. I know the internet can suck sometimes, but man you really sounded like you were having a bad day there in the p2 video and the scorn was a bit too strong for my liking. (I had little to no comments about the first part, and the video won't affect my viewership, but lordy lordy that was snappy.)

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Jeeze Linus. I know the internet can suck sometimes, but man you really sounded like you were having a bad day there in the p2 video and the scorn was a bit too strong for my liking. (I had little to no comments about the first part, and the video won't affect my viewership, but lordy lordy that was snappy.)

He did brick three motherboards and a Xeon....it's only natural to be a bit annoyed. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

He did brick three motherboards and a Xeon....it's only natural to be a bit annoyed.

Well even before the third mobo and cpu the scorn at the internet was really thick.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Why cut the backplate and expose the metal to the solder points? Didnt luke just buy a fancy new 3d printer?

Why not walk up to luke and be like... hey... colab bro?

3D printing is for prototyping, not for replacing load bearing metal plates.

Well even before the third mobo and cpu the scorn at the internet was really thick.

You can surely understand that having a ton of people being adamant that they're right (on why it was fucked), when you know for a fact that they're wrong, can get a little frustrating... 

I found it quite funny personally, there are many people that seem to think they know what they're talking about when they clearly don't in the comments (I don't usually comment, just stay out of them :D)

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

109 USD per unit?

http://www.belkin.com/us/BU3DC001-12V-Belkin/p/P-BU3DC001-12V/

It'd rather get a real product for 20 USD more. If I'm getting "hobby parts", They shouldn't cost near the same price of a finished product.

You can get those on ebay for much cheaper ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/BELKIN-BU3DC001-12V-RESIDENTIAL-RG-BATTERY-BACKUP-Unit-Power-Supply-REVB-/321871729111?hash=item4af10cd1d7 ) usual price is in the $30 dollar range, I got a whole pile of them without batteries for cheap (don't trust used lead acid batteries capacity). Problem is they don't fit into a 2.5" bay drive and are definitely not rack mounted. My home network uses those belkin boxes as backup and it can power a modem, router, switch (each with one battery unit) for at least a day. Also the DIY UPS uses LiFePO not Lead acid and doesn't come with batteries so that is an added cost but will last a lot longer. Chemically a lead acid battery is more stable built LiFePO is a good balance of energy density vs. explosion/fire potential.

I also would not rate the Belkin units as commercial or server grade as I've taken them apart and the electronics are a bit crusty inside compared to the openUPS board. (The openUPS also communicates with the PC as a standard ACPI battery)

i7 4820K, 16GB Corsair Dom. Plat. and 8GB of Corsair Vengance(yes this works), Asus X79 Sabertooth, Corsair H100, 2x Asus DCUII R9 290, 2x WD RED 1TB in RAID 1, WD Caviar Black, Crucial M500 128GB Boot drive, 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256GB in a RAID 0 enclosure for backup and scratch disks/SSD cache in a Corsair 780T.

HAH! So it was the backplate after all! Maybe it wasn't shorting it out but it was still the backplate :P. I didn't notice the electrical tape on it in the previous video though :(.

"Try not to take things personally; what people say about you on the internet is a reflection of them, not you!"

i was really waiting for Part 2 thread, but since part 2 video is posted on part 1 thread, i guess this will have to do. 

LtAZ4o2.png

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

So first time posting but I work in IT for a living and I really enjoyed this a lot!  It was quite amusing really!  I am going to post what parts I think would would better for your build and go into detail why I think they are smarter buys then what you currently are using.

Heat Sink (URL)

first off I would like to point out that your 1U passive CPU cooling is for an LGA 1156 and NOT an 1155 ( the socket type for your CPU)  This is why in the video you had to cut parts of the back plate off to make it fit onto your motherboard.  You should get a different passive heat sink.  I would Recommend this one. It is expensive because it is made almost entirely of copper.  When you are dealing with passive heat sinks you shouldn't skimp on price and you should be getting the best.

Socket 1155 and 1156 are physically the same.

Really annoys me how salty Linus gets when people call him out on his bullcrap.

I get that there are thousands of other channels that do regular hardware reviews and less overkill builds but when he gets a lot of the stuff he has just by begging manufacturers he has to understand why his viewers get annoyed at how wasteful he is.

Instead of buying the right tools for the job he just hacks things together and then gets surprised when things break or don't work.

I used to enjoy watching his videos but lately he is getting more and more dismissive and salty towards the people that donated to him and/or watch his videos.

The through hole component touching the back plate clearly kill the board. Electrical tape won't insulate the board, if the component poking through it. It is problem cause by the compatibility of the cooler with the motherboard. Usual motherboard don't use through hole component near CPU socket. Maybe that why the gigabyte motherboard survive. Linus don't kill another Intel motherboard if want to revert back to server grade component.

Love the idea, but man I hated this video. I was so excited when I heard you were doing this video. You should have done much more research into the parts. As entertaining as it is sometimes, it would be nice to look up to you and your projects. I think people should look at your projects and say "Wow that is cool. I want to do something cool that works." I don't think people like thinking "Wow, Linus keeps failing/doing a terrible job at these projects." Not that you have been failing a bunch, but failure of projects/the number of technical difficulties are increasing and it's just getting more frustrating to watch. This Part 1 should not have been posted. Should have scrapped it all and started over once you had an actual idea about what you were doing and possibly changed the parts so they actually work and aren't freaking hot glued, ground down, and ripped apart! Some people would like to do the projects you are doing but don't want to take these big risks like majorly modding/hacking their materials. Some people just want something that they can put together without a workshop and possibly ruining their hardware. I love the creativity but want something that we can possibly do as well without a team and a bunch of extra hardware.

With that being said, I do really appreciate your videos (almost every time) and please ignore the haters and just be your self; but be a little professional please.

*end rant

At least we learnt from the video it's never a great idea cut down your heatsink mount... And check the dimensions of the io shield before getting a rackmount case ^_^

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Really annoys me how salty Linus gets when people call him out on his bullcrap.

I get that there are thousands of other channels that do regular hardware reviews and less overkill builds but when he gets a lot of the stuff he has just by begging manufacturers he has to understand why his viewers get annoyed at how wasteful he is.

Instead of buying the right tools for the job he just hacks things together and then gets surprised when things break or don't work.

I used to enjoy watching his videos but lately he is getting more and more dismissive and salty towards the people that donated to him and/or watch his videos.

Stay salty my friend.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Stay salty my friend.

It's this kind of crap that winds people up.

You can't just dismiss someones opinion because it is a negative one.

If he annoyed all his viewers and drove them away then he wouldn't have a fancy new office.

So basically you gained a thousand dollars in paper weights trying to build a router?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

It's this kind of crap that winds people up.

You can't just dismiss someones opinion because it is a negative one.

If he annoyed all his viewers and drove them away then he wouldn't have a fancy new office.

Fun fact: The oceans used to be fresh water until one day, you swam in them.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

Lets hopy Linus gets the full gigabit through this with packages loaded.

I have most hardware in and pfsense runs, will go and test with one pc first to be save :)

Part 2 was great.

Mountains of salt, dead hardware, backyard engineering, well worth the wait.