I don't understand the obsession with 'good' PSUs here

Khajiit Dealer
Go to solution Solved by EllieThePurpleFuzzy,

as a person said on this thread, It's not an elitist thing but it's a safety thing, And it's a damn about time People gave more of a toss about their PSU, rather than such a critical component (THE most critical component) being constantly overlooked because i dunno Maybe it doesn't give you an extra 10fps in battlefield...Maybe it just isn't as hipster as having a top end i7. /rant.

and apart from fire hazard and such, Remember that you are still spending a decent chunk of money on a PC, why the heck would you just want to go and skimp as hard as you can on the most important component? Kind of like doing up a nice house you just bought, then just using old newspaper for the doors because it doesn't rain very often in said area or the crime rate is low.

My personal experience with PSUs deemed horrible here has been fine. I've had 3 builds over the course of 11 years that have had brands such as Raidmax and the Corsair CX series. The worst that happened was one popping after 3 years, far from burning my house down or destroying my other components. Is it just me or is this kind of an elitist thing?

Guide to GTX 900 Series: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/457526-nvidia-900-series-basic-performance-guide/

Performance expert, building noob. 

There is no such thing as excess in hardware. 

No clue, I have a cx600m and I'm perfectly happy with it.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Its more, you dont fuck around with things that have the potential to burn your house down thing

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

My personal experience with PSUs deemed horrible here has been fine. I've had 3 builds over the course of 11 years that have had brands such as Raidmax and the Corsair CX series. The worst that happened was one popping after 3 years, far from burning my house down or destroying my other components. Is it just me or is this kind of an elitist thing?

no..your just stupildy lucky nothing happened

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

If we were talking about the remote possibility of maybe damaging some components and costing money, it might be different, but we are talking about the possibility of very real and potentially lethal danger here. Bad power supplies can and do explode or start electrical fires without even taxing them beyond their rated load, as has been tested numerous time by reviewers with power supply testing machines. "They usually don't" isn't a good justification to recommend them to people. 

Why risk it if it's not hard to get a better PSU?

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Well then you're probably lucky nothing else went wrong. A client of my bought some el cheapo psu, psu burn out and took everything along with it. Do we need $100+ psu? No. all we need are good psu with trusted brands. CX are decent if you don't plan to OC, or for a very simple computer build, like for granny.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Old Corsair TX I think and I do mean old: it's 8 years old now. Had a couple of false starts but after trial and error I think it was my compressed air that was messing with it haven't had an issue since. Still powering my rig including a 290x just fine.

Though I do understand why people insist on good power supplies: the price different often isn't that dramatic if you don't buy something overkill and I don't think it's a bad idea to basically include "peace of mind" in your budget so to speak.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Just because the PSUs have worked for you doesn't make them safe. The CX series is bad for high end builds, which is what most build threads here are, which is why we don't recommend them, among other PSUs. 

Also, the PSU is the part providing power to the rest of the PC. Getting a good one is essential when the component has the potential to take out thousands worth of equipment, as well as start fires. It's not elitist, it's good sense. 

Power supplies can explode and catch fire. Just because yours didn't doesn't mean others of the same model don't. Also, if the power supply is shitty, you push it past what it's capable of(which might be below its advertisement), and the protective circuitry doesn't work, your components are done.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

The ones people recommend here come with a higher price tag.

It really isn't that much unless you want to take your chance with Coolmax and Raidmax PSUs and what can you expect you get what you pay for PSU is the most important part in your PC best to get good quality so you can reassure your system is safe

Setup

CPU: i3 4160|Motherboard: MSI Z97 PC MATE|RAM: Kingston HyperX Blue 8GB(2x4GB)|GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB|PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W Modular|Storage: 1TB WD Blue|Case: NZXT S340 Black|PCIe devices: TP-Link WDN4800| Montior: ASUS VE247H| Others: PS3/PS4

Good psu's aren't that expensive. And they give you a nice amount of efficiency, and they can deliver what it says.

Cheap psu's can kill your complete pc, they can catch fire, they don't deliver what they say and are inefficient AF...

There are really NO reasons to cheap out on it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

LTT has an elitist mentality in general, but I'm not going to get into this. In general most power supplies are fine, its mostly the brands "nobody's heard of" or some oddly cheap PSU's that I recommend avoiding.

And of course before posting this I read some of the replies and wow, read the OP guys...

PSU such as the CX850M actually have good components, however people have problems with it for the sheer fact that you can a better PSU for less. Also, if you get a bad PSU you risk issues with your computers components, such as a reduced lifespan, coil whine (PSU and/or GPU) and then there is the issue with cheap PSU failing-blowing up and only damaging the motherboard at best, frying all of your computers components at worst. And 3 years old is actually getting close to the upper life span of cheap/low quality PSU.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

The ones people recommend here come with a higher price tag.

Really? Antec High Current Gamer 620W is 62$ - it's literally 3 times better than the CX while being only 20$ more expensive. please.

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx600m -CX @ 42$

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/antec-power-supply-hcg620m -Antec @ 62$

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/seasonic-power-supply-m12ii520bronze - M12II @ 65$

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/xfx-power-supply-pro850wp1850snlb9 - XFX core @ 60$

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

As an electrical engineer I will never cheap out on my power supply if it has faulty rails questionable power ratings or know consumer complaints I won't touch it as I've seen electrical fires and fried pc's though I never go with the most expensive psu's I used trusted brands and good rated models, evga 650W gs is my current supply

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

As an electrical engineer I will never cheap out on my power supply if it has faulty rails questionable power ratings or know consumer complaints I won't touch it as I've seen electrical fires and fried pc's though I never go with the most expensive psu's I used trusted brands and good rated models, evga 650W gs is my current supply

This.

If you feel like you're fine with something, okay. But don't recommend an iffy PSU to first-time builders. If they make a simple mistake and short it out it might blow up in their face - quite literally. Good PSUs have SCP and will simply shut down.

Archangel (Desktop) CPU: i5 4590 GPU:Asus R9 280  3GB RAM:HyperX Beast 2x4GBPSU:SeaSonic S12G 750W Mobo:GA-H97m-HD3 Case:CM Silencio 650 Storage:1 TB WD Red
Celestial (Laptop 1) CPU:i7 4720HQ GPU:GTX 860M 4GB RAM:2x4GB SK Hynix DDR3Storage: 250GB 850 EVO Model:Lenovo Y50-70
Seraph (Laptop 2) CPU:i7 6700HQ GPU:GTX 970M 3GB RAM:2x8GB DDR4Storage: 256GB Samsung 951 + 1TB Toshiba HDD Model:Asus GL502VT

Windows 10 is now MSX! - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/440190-can-we-start-calling-windows-10/page-6

I want to call upon @Aniallation and @STRMfrmXMN