*Gaming Mini-News* Last of Us Dev wants HL3 license?

Precisely: 20 years ago Half life was revolutionary. 12 years ago Half Life 2 revolutionized the gaming industry again (though to a lesser degree) and established a lot of tropes on modern action games that we still see today (open(ish) world, physics puzzles, gameplay based narrative, etc) 

In 2015 and beyond? It only needs to be a fucking FPS and continue to develop the story. It doesn't needs to revolutionize the gaming world again since that takes time and effort, 2 things Valve is not willing to invest in anyway, however the games did enough right than just a sequel or a few ones are needed not a "Let's reinvent the genre" development is needed. Just tell us more about Gordon fucking Freeman and shoot some fucking crab head scientist, that's it that's ALL we need and we don't need that much talent to continue that.

Well, if the story is good, or if the story allows you to effect the outcome, does it really need to be super innovative?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Valve definitely won't do the 'give the license to use and we'll take care of the rest thing' there's just too much to worry about: keeping the good name of the franchise, making a good PC version, etc.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

I'd say yes - fuck it! at least we'll have someone to yell at if it goes horribly wrong

still better than waiting for ValvE to move their asses

Valve definitely won't do the 'give the license to use and we'll take care of the rest thing' there's just too much to worry about: keeping the good name of the franchise, making a good PC version, etc.

That helps companies like Nintendo that continue to use the intellectual property to this day. What fucking damage would Valve take if HL3 is crappy? They already sold the previous 2 games to just about any fucking gamer who could ever be interested not to mention they all but give em away each and every fucking time there's a Steam sale and they are doing NOTHING with the franchise: what kind of idiot would say "Oh you know what? I don't want to get this new MOBA or keep buying hats for Team Fortress because Half Life 3 sucked, even though it has fucking nothing to do with this franchise at all"

-------

Current Rig

-------

He's trolling... lol

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

And make a fucking PS4 exclusive out of it?! Hell No!

Btw, HL is great because it is from Valve.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Someone get this man the Half Life games please.

free games you say? i'm down :)

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

Hmm I can see the merits but seems a bit extreme. Stripping something from the creator's hand...

I didn't say stripping, I said "licensing" as in you still have to contribute certain percentage to the creator and such. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

If I had a choice of Devs, I would prefer to see the guys who made Metro 2033 and Metro LL have a go at it.

I feel like they could do some amazing industrial wasteland, considering how well they do nuclear wasteland.

When you think about the horrible conditions they had, while they made Metro LL. These guys are realy good.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

HL2 is a very good game on merit as long as you approach it as another game and not ZOMG OVERHYPED GREATEST GAME OF ALL TIME.

I think the main weakness though is the gunplay. They should use the same gun mechanics from CS in terms of recoil, spray patterns etc... That tiny bit of added realism just makes shooting so much more fun.

I also had the feeling the gunplay wasn't up to snuff, while not terrible. coming from games like quake and doom I was expecting something more satisfying given the hype. I don't necessaily want realism from the gunplay, and I'm a big fan of arena shooters, I just wish the weapons felt more responsive and had a better feedback. Having a larger enemy variety couldn't hurt either.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I also had the feeling the gunplay wasn't up to snuff, while not terrible. coming from games like quake and doom I was expecting something more satisfying given the hype. I don't necessaily want realism from the gunplay, and I'm a big fan of arena shooters, I just wish the weapons felt more responsive and had a better feedback. Having a larger enemy variety couldn't hurt either.

That's the thing though: on previous games the main reason for playing was shooting the fuck out of things. That's totally ok. On HL2 shooting things was a means at your disposal, including physics puzzles, driving sequences, horror sections and exploring new areas. Each of this was equally as important, not just the previous old school style of "military weapons" or "shoot the fuck out of anything that moves" style.

Nowadays it's tried and true but arguably, franchises like Farcry and most games out today that are "sandbox" games borrow a lot from half life 2. The innovation was all put together even if no one element was done exceedingly well to be honest, it added up to something greater than the sum of all its parts.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I say yes it did: even commercial fucking failures rank in millions in profit once you take into account merchandise, licencing deals and international box office numbers. Trust me as a parent of a 4 year old I can tell you that comic book movies, no matter how crappy and critically hated they are, still make million. Meanwhile I have to go get an ant man and a captain america pop figurines for my boy.

Well Valve makes more money on Steam than Half Life has probably ever made, so they probably see no incentive in making another game since it wouldn't be up to their intended vision.

As for licenses and copyright, I'd rather them be forced to give up the copyright entirely and it being put into public domain than it being put up for grabs for another person to sit on.

That's the thing though: on previous games the main reason for playing was shooting the fuck out of things. That's totally ok. On HL2 shooting things was a means at your disposal, including physics puzzles, driving sequences, horror sections and exploring new areas. Each of this was equally as important, not just the previous old school style of "military weapons" or "shoot the fuck out of anything that moves" style.

Nowadays it's tried and true but arguably, franchises like Farcry and most games out today that are "sandbox" games borrow a lot from half life 2. The innovation was all put together even if no one element was done exceedingly well to be honest, it added up to something greater than the sum of all its parts.

I suppose context does matter, but as someone who played it years after it was released I simply wasn't impressed, whereas I thoroughly enjoy ultra old school shooters even having played them much later than they came out.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Well Valve makes more money on Steam than Half Life has probably ever made, so they probably see no incentive in making another game since it wouldn't be up to their intended vision.

As for licenses and copyright, I'd rather them be forced to give up the copyright entirely and it being put into public domain than it being put up for grabs for another person to sit on.

The problem with that is that it's an all or nothing system, like do something with your property or loose it. Be compelled to license it means "you don't loose it, you just might see less returns if someone else takes the flag because of your lack of interest but you will still make money off it"

-------

Current Rig

-------

I'd have no problems with Valve licensing the IP to a competent studio, to finish up the storyline at the very least. Still, I think my main concern here is how decent of a PC port Naughty Dog would produce, given they've only ever released games for console (as far as I'm aware).

Valve hasn't made a decent game in fucking years, decades even. And no, selling other people's mods as full releases doesn't counts as developing a fucking game by the way which is all they do today. In fact if it was up to me, copyright law should include an addendum to legally compel (a.k.a. force) a company to license their intellectual property after x amount of years of inactivity which is exactly the case here.

But failing that Valve should take the higher road and admit they have better things to do like print money with Steam and stupid fucking hats and mobas. All the more power to them they can keep doing their much more profitable things but make way for someone interested in continuing a beloved franchise.

You don't like Portal/Portal 2? (I know it's a different type of game than HL, but still)

I would rather see Valve make it. No one else should be able to touch it. I have never played a Half Life game but I don't like how any studio can just make any game if they own the license. They always end up making a different game one that isn't like the rest in the way it works. If you know what I mean. It's like how Dice making Battlefront will be sh*t and how the older games are so much better.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

The problem with that is that it's an all or nothing system, like do something with your property or loose it. Be compelled to license it means "you don't loose it, you just might see less returns if someone else takes the flag because of your lack of interest but you will still make money off it"

Personally I really want to play HL3 to finish the story, but if any studio other than Valve made it I wouldn't buy it and play it.

I wouldn't mind a HL game going in another direction, but HL3 is a no-go for me.

I'd have no problems with Valve licensing the IP to a competent studio, to finish up the storyline at the very least. Still, I think my main concern here is how decent of a PC port Naughty Dog would produce, given they've only ever released games for console (as far as I'm aware).

You don't like Portal/Portal 2? (I know it's a different type of game than HL, but still)

I think they're good but highly overrated: lets take the physics engine we designed from HL2 and do just the physics puzzles with it. That's a game? That's arguably nothing but a HL2 Valve made themselves, so yet it's not really a new game in my eyes it's just another in the long list of HL derivatives like counter strike and team fortress and gary's mod and well, just about everything else Valve does when it does something (short of lifting other people's mods from other people's franchises, a.k.a. DOTA) 

-------

Current Rig

-------

Personally I really want to play HL3 to finish the story, but if any studio other than Valve made it I wouldn't buy it and play it.

I wouldn't mind a HL game going in another direction, but HL3 is a no-go for me.

Fine let's say it's not really half life, The adventures of Gordon Freeman are on hiatus. Let's tell the story from the perspective of some other black mesa survivor....say....Norton Greenman....and follow him around while he drives, shoots alien crab head zombies, uses a cool phsyics gun, and tells us about a similar line of events that are totally not the conclusion to the Gordon Freeman story.

Really though as I said in the thread I am a long standing fan of the series but really, it doesn't needs that much to be special it wasn't that special because of the story which was just ok.

-------

Current Rig

-------

I would rather see Valve make it. No one else should be able to touch it. I have never played a Half Life game but I don't like how any studio can just make any game if they own the license. They always end up making a different game one that isn't like the rest in the way it works. If you know what I mean. It's like how Dice making Battlefront will be sh*t and how the older games are so much better.

Hey if they take something that's relatively fresh or actively developed, sure I can see that. But let's get real here for a second: Valve will NEVER make another Half Life game. No matter how much you want them to, nobody can plea to them, it just will not happen.

So would you rather never see another half life again? Because the alternative is not "Valve should do it" the only real choices here are: Someone else does it or it never fucking happens at all.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Hey if they take something that's relatively fresh or actively developed, sure I can see that. But let's get real here for a second: Valve will NEVER make another Half Life game. No matter how much you want them to, nobody can plea to them, it just will not happen.

So would you rather never see another half life again? Because the alternative is not "Valve should do it" the only real choices here are: Someone else does it or it never fucking happens at all.

Then no I wouldn't want to see one. Sometimes things are better off ending. Like Battlefield, COD, Battlefront and so on. Even Star Wars. They need to end at some point otherwise you just eventually dirty what came before. Lots of people really liked the Half Life franchise so lets not ruin that shall we. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I think it will probably happen when GabeN dies. If I remember correctly, he has complete control of everything Valve does.

Holy shit, they have a total equity of 2.5 BILLION? What the fuck Valve. I could make a hell of a lot of decent games with that kind of cheese.

http://lambdageneration.com/news/half-life/j-j-abrams-collaborating-with-valve-on-possible-new-game-as-well-as-half-life-or-portal-feature-films/

He is working on SOMETHING with JJ Abrams. At least he was in 2013. Meaning I can expect to see it by the time I am 50

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

That helps companies like Nintendo that continue to use the intellectual property to this day. What fucking damage would Valve take if HL3 is crappy? They already sold the previous 2 games to just about any fucking gamer who could ever be interested not to mention they all but give em away each and every fucking time there's a Steam sale and they are doing NOTHING with the franchise: what kind of idiot would say "Oh you know what? I don't want to get this new MOBA or keep buying hats for Team Fortress because Half Life 3 sucked, even though it has fucking nothing to do with this franchise at all"

It's bad PR, Valve's whole model is very much complimented by it's community and how it views Steam/Valve as the Lord and savior for PC. People expect (if Valve does, which they won't), that a new HL game would be amazing on all levels. Besides that I think Valve has an actual interest in producing quality products.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Well, Merle did provide Alyx Vance's voice in HL2-onward, so Naughty Dog has that going for them.

Other than that, HELL NO.

Ye ole' train

So a console peasent dev wants the holy grail of PC gaming? Nah, controls sucked and it was third person. Don't even ask before you made a class PC FPS. Or at the very least make a PC port of the Last of Us and release it on steam. Bunch of nubs :P

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro