popular youtuber asked 20000$ from dev studio to feature their game

zMeul

source: https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/3kefgi/asked_to_pay_22000_by_popular_youtuber_for_our/

Hi all, Ben Tester here from indie game devs, Wales Interactive (developers of Soul Axiom, Master Reboot and Infinity Runner)

On one of my normal PR rounds I received an email from a very popular YouTuber with a few million subscribers offering to have one of our games featured on their YouTube channel for a rate of either $17,600 for 2-3 talking points or $22,000 for 2-3 talking points AND a description link.

Upon reading this my jaw dropped. Is this real? Are there developers out there that pay that sort of money to have their game featured in one video?

OK, so it's obvious that receiving a LP'er or YT star feature your game is great promotion and will certainly help spread the news. It will also no doubt have some sort of effect on your sales, right?

An interesting Tweet I saw from SteamSpy this afternoon claims there doesn't seem to be much of a correlation between number of Steam sales a game has after it's been covered by a popular YTer (in this example, they used TotalBiscuit and up to a period of 20 days after the feature of an indie game on YouTube).

---

wow! some take this living off youtube to a whole new level

if he asked 22k for a simple coverage, how much would he ask for a positive review?  <_<

in a bit of relevant news, it appears that Machinima paid youtubers tens of thousands of dollars to promote the Xbox One launch positively without declaring it - contrary to FCC rules

Xbox One Promoter Settles FTC Charges That it Deceived Consumers With Endorsement Videos Posted by Paid ‘Influencers’

According to the FTC’s complaint, Machinima and its influencers were part of an Xbox One marketing campaign managed by Microsoft’s advertising agency, Starcom MediaVest Group. Machinima guaranteed Starcom that the influencer videos would be viewed at least 19 million times.

In the first phase of the marketing campaign, a small group of influencers were given access to pre-release versions of the Xbox One console and video games in order to produce and upload two endorsement videos each. According to the FTC, Machinima paid two of these endorsers $15,000 and $30,000 for producing You Tube videos that garnered 250,000 and 730,000 views, respectively. In a separate phase of the marketing program, Machinima promised to pay a larger group of influencers $1 for every 1,000 video views, up to a total of $25,000. Machinima did not require any of the influencers to disclose they were being paid for their endorsement.

He has an audience, and the dev wants access to it. 

I have no problems with this. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Why TV is slowly becoming obsolete.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Wonder how much PewDiePie makes now. Imagine him asking to play one of there games..

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

I'll take 22K to cover a game...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why TV is slowly becoming obsolete.

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. I agree is slowly taking over. You can find most shows from those three sources.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

He has an audience, and the dev wants access to it. 

I have no problems with this. 

yeah but 22k for a couple days of work?

Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime. I agree is slowly taking over. You can find most shows from those three sources.

The next generation will almost barely have a use for TV. Sure, I find it nice to have a TV in the house, I don't have to choose what I watch and it's just easy to do after a day of school/work (for whatever reason). But yeah, it's going definitely going to be slowly phased out in the coming years.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It doesn't have anything to do with $/hour or how much work it is, it has to do with getting his review to thousands/millions of people.

Some companies have millions of dollars in advertising budgets, and $22k to get their product to be seen by thousands/millions is a good deal on their part.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

this isn't news....been going on for years and totalbiscuit brings it up every time the topic comes up

"He has money, I don't, I don't like him". 

That is your mentality. You can't honestly say that you wouldn't take 22K for that.

hey ! if you lend me 20k i ill make you rich !

no problems here. thats called buisness

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

That audience is worth money to people who want exposure. The audience is worth exactly what someone will pay for it. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

youtube just isn't about "us" anymore, way should it, we consume more and more videos and they get more and more money to make them, the problem is that the children from 10-15 really fall for that kind of ads. Youtube is one of the biggest ad portal that exists 

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Heh? Advertising a starting price of 22K? Is that guy/gal trying to not do business?  :lol:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

And I thought Minecraft Youtubers that were asking several thousand dollars for an Episode was rough.

Damn.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

As I see it, the problem is when someone pays you that amount of money, can you really believe what he says about the product? If he makes a review can you believe it was an honest review? It's really a double edged sword.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Put that in perspective - something like a cod game will bring in millions, 20k is nothing by comparison. and something like cod lives off of exposure like that.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As I see it, the problem is when someone pays you that amount of money, can you really believe what he says about the product? If he makes a review can you believe it was an honest review? It's really a double edged sword.

doesn't need to be a piloted opinion, the exposure alone can make a big difference.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

People who work in marketing are slowly rising to the top of my list of "scum of the Earth". Right now they're just below lawyers, whom are just below politicians, whom are just below corporate shareholders.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

doesn't need to be a piloted opinion, the exposure alone can make a big difference.

I'm aware of that, but he said to talk about it in few points. I've no idea what points mean in term of Youtube videos, but I meant can you believe anything he says about it? I'm sure you know what I mean.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

"He has money, I don't, I don't like him". 

That is your mentality. You can't honestly say that you wouldn't take 22K for that.

Honestly no that is not my mentality please don't make false assumptions. I'm just saying thats a bit excessive. And Yes If I had the opportunity I would probably take the 22k.

I'm aware of that, but he said to talk about it in few points. I've no idea what points mean in term of Youtube videos, but I meant can you believe anything he says about it? I'm sure you know what I mean.

I do, but that goes for most ads - you know they're ads, and that can be fine.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Let's be honest here, celebrities do this the whole time. In addition, most celebrities would ask for even more than that.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide