Windows 10 Internal Builds Reveal UI Refinements, New Icon Set and Animations

Master Disaster

Microsoft is expected to release Windows 10 Threshold Wave 2 in November as the first major non-patch update to the operating system. It seems like we might be seeing some user interface enhancements in the upcoming update, along with a number of optimizations

Windows 10 is already running on over 75+ million devices, but that’s not something stopping Microsoft from refining the operating system. Latest Windows 10 internal builds suggest that Microsoft is continuing to improve the user interface and will bring in the enhancements in the next major feature update rolled out to Windows 10. New animations, updated icons, refined UI elements, and improved context menus are only a few of the improvements that you will notice in your operating system once the Threshold 2 is released in November.

Members of Insider program can experience some of these changes in Windows 10 build 10532 which introduced an updated Feedback app and context menus, however, not all are yet available in the public builds. Following are the expected UI changes spotted in internal Windows Insider builds.

The context menus are now coloured grey instead of pure white. Greyed out menus will be preferred by users who dislike having bright lights popping out of the screen, especially at the night time. Microsoft is also tweaking the size of menus along with other small changes. As mentioned before, Insider Preview 10532 also carried some changes to the context menu. Seems like this is a place where you would spot a few tweaks once the Threshold 2 is rolled out.

post-153490-0-61215400-1441715509.jpg

New icon set is another update being brought into the operating system. From Explorer to Win32 control panel, you will now notice new icons while some of the older icons have disappeared from the list. Microsoft is focusing on redesigning some very old elements of the UI in this update.

post-153490-0-79949900-1441715529.jpg

Apart from these changes, Windows Store also gets a fade away animation which appears when you open / close the apps, similar to the Windows 10 desktop apps.

post-153490-0-00743900-1441715583.gif

http://wccftech.com/windows-10-internal-builds-reveal-ui-refinements/

My Thoughts

I'm looking forward to the new update (whatever they call it) as when you spend some time with Windows 10 you do begin to find some little quirks and flaws which do need addressing. I'm not saying its bad but it really does need some spit and polish to make it into a great OS (which I'm sure it can be), I'm only hoping they don't waste time with UI and animation tweaks without spending a lot more time polishing everything up.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Prefer the white menu myself - looks cleaner

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

I hate white need light gray or dark gray but oh well.

W10 is still too unstable and resource heavy.

Prefer the white menu myself - looks cleaner

Think I'm with you on this one, but will have to wait till it's implemented to get a real feel for it. I definitely like the dimensions of the white menu better though.

Dear Microsoft...

GET RID OF THE FUCKING SETTINGS APP FFS

I prefer the white and the gray menu size is just a waste of space imo.

@imdavidh96 Thats never going to happen lol also im pretty sure win 8.1 was updated to have the same bs as win 10.

ill chill on my non updated windows 8.1 untill all the tracking is gone

As long as you are connected to the internet...tracking will never be gone.

im pretty sure win 8.1 was updated to have the same bs as win 10.

I think you can find and not install those updates on 7 & 8.1. 

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

I just hope there is a way to disable animations to save dat .1-2% cpu usage ;)

CPU: AMD FX-6350@4.2Ghz GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX2.0 RAM: 2x4Gb Kingston Fury Black + 2x4Gb Corsair Vengeance HDD: WD Green 1Tb SSD: Kingston SSDNow V300 60Gb CASE: DeepCool Tesseract SW

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fJLRWZ

Dear Microsoft...

GET RID OF THE FUCKING SETTINGS APP FFS

I don't mind it but having CP & Settings is stupid, get rid of one and migrate everything to the other.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

What are you smoking? I believe I saw someone get win10 running with half a gig of ram..

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

What are you smoking? I believe I saw someone get win10 running with half a gig of ram..

just mindless parrots. dont worry. I really like 10 so far. smoothest and lightest experience ive had so far with an OS. Dont really see the point in context menu change, but ok. new icons are needed, as well as polish to the code itself

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

just mindless parrots. dont worry. I really like 10 so far. smoothest and lightest experience ive had so far with an OS. Dont really see the point in context menu change, but ok. new icons are needed, as well as polish to the code itself

I agree. It's smoother than OSX even. And the resource handling is on par with iOS. A MOTHERFUCKING MOBILE OS. This OS is extremely resourceful. I honestly cannot think of any reason there are rumors that is a resource hog.. Only problem I have with it is I wish searching for a program using the start search was more efficient. Like it was for windows 7. For me, when I try to search a program, it will try to search the web instead of my pc first.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Changes for the context menu are needed, it bothers me how different context menu are between the taskbar, start menu, store apps and everything else, it looks like a mess IMO. Though i don't like them making them grey, that color is ugly, i wish it was full white like desktop currently is and make the taskbar and start context menu white to, currently black looks odd given everything else is white.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I agree. It's smoother than OSX even. And the resource handling is on par with iOS. A MOTHERFUCKING MOBILE OS. This OS is extremely resourceful. I honestly cannot think of any reason there are rumors that is a resource hog.. Only problem I have with it is I wish searching for a program using the start search was more efficient. Like it was for windows 7. For me, when I try to search a program, it will try to search the web instead of my pc first.

yes my only big gripe with it. i just want to search for fuck sake stop the stupid web search i have that on chrome. 

Changes for the context menu are needed, it bothers me how different context menu are between the taskbar, start menu, store apps and everything else, it looks like a mess IMO. Though i don't like them making them grey, that color is ugly, i wish it was full white like desktop currently is and make the taskbar and start context menu white to, currently black looks odd given everything else is white.

thats mostly what i meant by polishing the UI. not much work to do, but that is on teh list

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

I just hope there is a way to disable animations to save dat .1-2% cpu usage ;)

Actually, you can. Go to the settings app, then accessibility, more options and then turn off anims.

That couldn't be further from the truth. We get it, you hate MS, but seriously some research wouldn't hurt.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Totally agree.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Not bad. I tend to have everything as far as UI be it Windows or web browser to dark theme. I simply can't stand so much brightness and white everywhere.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Win 10 might be better at resource managing than XP. However, that won't get it on par with Linux distros.

I agree. It's smoother than OSX even.

Just curious, when was OSX ever smooth? ;)

(references: random keyboard lag after long period of inactivity, insanely slow scroll of warnings list in Xcode, very sluggish performance of Interface Builder in Xcode even on higher end iMacs.... yes, I know, glorified desktop versions of laptop hardware).

Just curious, when was OSX ever smooth? ;)

(references: random keyboard lag after long period of inactivity, insanely slow scroll of warnings list in Xcode, very sluggish performance of Interface Builder in Xcode even on higher end iMacs.... yes, I know, glorified desktop versions of laptop hardware).

I never used it as a daily driver so I honestly do not have a whole lot of experience with it(just tried it here and there). Although, simple things like windows and mouse movements just seemed glossy and smooth. Idk how to really explain it. Although, as far as performance, I'm aware of its issues.