Windows 10 Internal Builds Reveal UI Refinements, New Icon Set and Animations

Master Disaster

Kind of worried about the changes to the context menu. I've had to edit my registry to get rid of some extra rows that gets added by stupid programs (fuck off Adobe) and the new light gray one looks a lot bigger with less info on it.

In the screenshot the gray context menu us ~23% bigger despite having 1 less button.
I do prefer the gray color over the white though.

Still waiting for them to give us transparency in the title bar, and proper controls over colors and how opaque/transparent things are. You know, the things people asked for during the technical preview and they just locked the suggestion without implementing what people wanted...

Only problem I have with it is I wish searching for a program using the start search was more efficient. Like it was for windows 7. For me, when I try to search a program, it will try to search the web instead of my pc first.

It also prioritize the stupid shitty metro apps, and it doesn't learn which programs you run the most.

No Microsoft... I do not want to open up your garbage "photos" app when I write photo in the start menu. I want to open Photoshop like the last 20 times.

post-216-0-02264500-1441744881.png

That couldn't be further from the truth. We get it, you hate MS, but seriously some research wouldn't hurt.

It works as long as you dont touch anything and leave it at default which i never do on anything.Win7/8.1 i can tweak it alot and it doesnt break but as soon as i touch 10 it starts falling apart.

And its much slower than 7/8.1, if you think otherwise you either use all os with default setup or dont know anything.My tweaked 7/8 smokes 10, they boot extremely fast, 10 doesnt even shutdown properly its that broken, i always get stuck at the screen where it says some apps arent closing and i click to manually restart/shutdown anyway, takes like 20 sec to restart/shutdown.

Also the damn start and taskbar rightclicks are slow as fuck up to 2 seconds very slow runtime, starting simple apps like a calculator again loads too slow when old style programs are instant on 7/8.

It also prioritize the stupid shitty metro apps, and it doesn't learn which programs you run the most.

No Microsoft... I do not want to open up your garbage "photos" app when I write photo in the start menu. I want to open Photoshop like the last 20 times.

attachicon.gifFuck off.png

Not exactly sure why you're complaining about this.  The search result that you posted technically is correct.  Photo is almost the same as photos, so that's probably how the algorithm works.  The program that you wanted was the very next result anyway.  I'm not using Windows 10 right now, but perhaps you can test this.  Does the search result differ based on the settings in Default Programs?  In other words, if you set Photoshop as your default program for manipulating photos, would it appear first in the result?

My PC specifications are in my profile.

Not exactly sure why you're complaining about this.  The search result that you posted technically is correct.  Photo is almost the same as photos, so that's probably how the algorithm works.  The program that you wanted was the very next result anyway.  I'm not using Windows 10 right now, but perhaps you can test this.  Does the search result differ based on the settings in Default Programs?  In other words, if you set Photoshop as your default program for manipulating photos, would it appear first in the result?

No it does not.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

New icons are nice but without full documentation for patches I can't help to think they just go "So should we go ahead with even more aggressive telemetry?" and then "Sure, just I don't know give em new icons or something to keep em happy"

And yeah I know I'm quite paranoid but in this case is not entirely without reason.

-------

Current Rig

-------

just mindless parrots. dont worry. I really like 10 so far. smoothest and lightest experience ive had so far with an OS. Dont really see the point in context menu change, but ok. new icons are needed, as well as polish to the code itself

I like Windows 10 aside from the fact that the start menu, Cortana, the internet connecty thingy, pictures and certain other apps stop working and the only way to fix it is by restarting. Not to mention that I randomly get disconnected from the internet if I move around campus. It seems to happen arbitrarily. Though, I presume these problems I'm having are due to me borking the install somehow. I started to install it at night, accidentally closed the lid and re-opened it with no apparent problems, but then, for several days, it would just show a blue screen with one of those spinny circular things with the small white circles. It persisted through two restarts, and it only worked when my sister restarted it again several days later. It was weird.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

I did some further testing and here is what I found.

* I was wrong. It does not prioritize metro apps. I tried with the Windows 10 Minecraft version and I got the regular version as the first hit (shorter name).

* Changing default program does not change the order in which they appear. There is no way to make Photoshop appear before Photos.

Don't quote me on this, but I am fairly sure that Windows 7 learned which programs you used the most and then put those at the top of the list.

Anyway, the photos example is driving me nuts because I launch the stupid Photos app every time I want to use Photoshop. Photos is one of the apps you can't even uninstall so I am stuck with it. Guess I'll just have to type in "photosho" from now on...

ill chill on my non updated windows 8.1 untill all the tracking is gone

Microsoft released a patch that does the exact same tracking on Win 7/8/8.1 lololol

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

Ok. That 'fade away' feature is in Vista, and Windows 7.

Edit: And more icons reminiscent of those used in Windows 9*?

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Microsoft released a patch that does the exact same tracking on Win 7/8/8.1 lololol

And you can hide that update in Windows 7 and 8 so... Your point?

All that update does is prove that we can not trust Microsoft with updates because they won't always act in the best interest of the users. That's just another reason why people would want to ignore Windows 10.

It works as long as you dont touch anything and leave it at default which i never do on anything.Win7/8.1 i can tweak it alot and it doesnt break but as soon as i touch 10 it starts falling apart.

And its much slower than 7/8.1, if you think otherwise you either use all os with default setup or dont know anything.My tweaked 7/8 smokes 10, they boot extremely fast, 10 doesnt even shutdown properly its that broken, i always get stuck at the screen where it says some apps arent closing and i click to manually restart/shutdown anyway, takes like 20 sec to restart/shutdown.

Also the damn start and taskbar rightclicks are slow as fuck up to 2 seconds very slow runtime, starting simple apps like a calculator again loads too slow when old style programs are instant on 7/8.

I've had the right click freeze issue on 7 and 8.1 a few times now, only way I've found to fix it is a fresh install.

Don't quote me on this, but I am fairly sure that Windows 7 learned which programs you used the most and then put those at the top of the list.

Not sure about 7, but 8.1 did learn. I have a list of programs that I would always type in search and open up 10-15 times on a new install to get them moved to the top.

Oddly enough when I tried it with Win10, on the 3rd time of typing "sys" in and opening System, it finally moved System up to the top, and on the 4th-10th (when I gave up) System Configuration was on the top again.

Hopefully search is bugged out and they are working on fixing it, and didn't intend for it to work this way.

I really hope they add a dark-themed File explorer. That'd be really awesome.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X GPU: Nvidia RTX 3080 12GB + Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero

Case: Asus ROG Strix Helios Gundam Edition Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 850P

I did some further testing and here is what I found.

* I was wrong. It does not prioritize metro apps. I tried with the Windows 10 Minecraft version and I got the regular version as the first hit (shorter name).

* Changing default program does not change the order in which they appear. There is no way to make Photoshop appear before Photos.

Anyway, the photos example is driving me nuts because I launch the stupid Photos app every time I want to use Photoshop. Photos is one of the apps you can't even uninstall so I am stuck with it. Guess I'll just have to type in "photosho" from now on...

It can be uninstalled through PowerShell.

Get-AppxPackage *photos* | Remove-AppxPackage

You're welcome!   :)

Note: Run the command as Administrator.

Edited by Michael McAllister

My PC specifications are in my profile.

I agree. It's smoother than OSX even. And the resource handling is on par with iOS. A MOTHERFUCKING MOBILE OS. This OS is extremely resourceful. I honestly cannot think of any reason there are rumors that is a resource hog.. Only problem I have with it is I wish searching for a program using the start search was more efficient. Like it was for windows 7. For me, when I try to search a program, it will try to search the web instead of my pc first.

yeah the whole searching the web before my apps is super annoying. I found myself putting tonnes of damn shortcuts on my desktop ( WHICH I HATE MYSELF FOR )

W10 is still too unstable and resource heavy.

Try running Windows 7 64-bit on a 1.8GHz Pentium Dual-Core with 2GB RAM, then try Windows 10 64-bit on the same hardware, and tell me which is the resource hog :D

Try running Windows 7 64-bit on a 1.8GHz Pentium Dual-Core with 2GB RAM, then try Windows 10 64-bit on the same hardware, and tell me which is the resource hog :D

Why do you even use 64bit on 2gb of ram?

Why do you even use 64bit on 2gb of ram?

Because they're 64-bit machines?

Because they're 64-bit machines?

What...

The main advantage of 64 bit is using more than 4gb of ram.

However 64 bit os use a little bit higher memory than 32 bit. So with 2gb of ram, you are better off with 32bit os.

I think there's a linus fap about this.

Why would you run w7 or 10 on a 2gb 1.8ghz machine? and the answer is 7, because the resource hog i mentioned is on a normal machine not a peasant machine from the early 2000's.You should run win xp on that thing it uses 100mb of ram.

Any PC running win vista and above is mandatory to have 4gb of ram if you have less congrats you bought a shit machine, you are poor and cant afford 2 more gb of ram? i dont give a fuck im ignorant of other people's problems, i live in the present not the past, 2gb of extra DDR or DDR2 2nd hand ram costs nothing end of story. And if you still run 32bit go back to pre and XP era peasant, 32 bit should have been phased out already.

I dont even know why im answering to these stupid claims or whatever.

ill chill on my non updated windows 8.1 untill all the tracking is gone

It's probably never going away, and most likely it will be added to 8.1 unless of course you stop getting updates but that could cause a security breach.

Why would you run w7 or 10 on a 2gb 1.8ghz machine? and the answer is 7, because the resource hog i mentioned is on a normal machine not a peasant machine from the early 2000's.You should run win xp on that thing it uses 100mb of ram.

Any PC running win vista and above is mandatory to have 4gb of ram if you have less congrats you bought a shit machine, you are poor and cant afford 2 more gb of ram? i dont give a fuck im ignorant of other people's problems, i live in the present not the past, 2gb of extra DDR or DDR2 2nd hand ram costs nothing end of story. And if you still run 32bit go back to pre and XP era peasant, 32 bit should have been phased out already.

I dont even know why im answering to these stupid claims or whatever.

1. School IT department, we don't have the budget for newer, more powerful machines.

2. I've ran Windows XP on 128MB RAM. Didn't complain.

3. As I said, school IT department. We don't have the budget to get every machine up to 4GB RAM, as cheap as DDR2 is these days.

4. We're upgrading to 7 from XP, we'd rather not take a step back because some guy on a tech forum says we should.

where's Aero?

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

where's Aero?

Define "Aero"? Win 10 has blurred transparency, but they are not going to copy-paste the exact transparency style from Win 7 into Windows 10.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I don't mind it but having CP & Settings is stupid, get rid of one and migrate everything to the other.

One way I saw someone explain it is that the setting app lets you easily change all of the common settings (and then some). Which is great for the average user, and then you have the control panel for power users who need deeper changes made. And to me this make perfect sense, and is a great implementation.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4