Peltier cooled water loop COMPLETED

Matriox

Specs are in my signature. People told me that this wasn't an optimal cooling solution.. Well see for yourself:

Skip to 4:40 for the temps

Also try not to cringe at the zip ties holding the tubes on the blocks

CPU¤Core i5 5675c ¤Cooler¤Ghetto water loop(Cheap tubing & block from amazon)¤GPU1¤Sapphire R9 290x Tri-x¤MOBO¤Asrock H97m Anniversary ¤RAM¤8GB DDR3 1866Mhz¤Storage¤2Tb SSHD & 320Gb HDD¤Case¤Cougar Spike Mini ITX case¤PowerSupply¤500w EVGA 80 plus¤

G_G

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Nice proof of concept, one thing I would do is seal up that reservoir if you do plan on keeping this for the long run to not get contaminates in the fluid, not to mention a biocide.

I did something similar earlier this year

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/271060-peltier-cooling-tips-or-thoughts/page-2

I cooled the peltier with a waterloop but after about 3 weeks I tweaked a wire on the peltier and it burned out. Haven't replaced it yet

my idle temps with a water loop 

http://i.imgur.com/rKi5f9D.png

The high temps are after an hour of prime at 4.7 and many many volts for an ivy bridge.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Im waiting to get a new res and tubing to build mine. Got a peltier with a built in heatsink :)

But I got 4.8 on a 212...

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I did something similar earlier this year

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/271060-peltier-cooling-tips-or-thoughts/page-2

I cooled the peltier with a waterloop but after about 3 weeks I tweaked a wire on the peltier and it burned out. Haven't replaced it yet

my idle temps with a water loop 

http://i.imgur.com/rKi5f9D.png

I wanted to do that but I was extremely scared of the condensation factor.. did you ever get condensation around your cpu?

CPU¤Core i5 5675c ¤Cooler¤Ghetto water loop(Cheap tubing & block from amazon)¤GPU1¤Sapphire R9 290x Tri-x¤MOBO¤Asrock H97m Anniversary ¤RAM¤8GB DDR3 1866Mhz¤Storage¤2Tb SSHD & 320Gb HDD¤Case¤Cougar Spike Mini ITX case¤PowerSupply¤500w EVGA 80 plus¤

I wanted to do that but I was extremely scared of the condensation factor.. did you ever get condensation around your cpu?

I conformal coated the whole board, and filled the socket with dielectric grease. I could of poured water on it to little effect :P

Edit: there was frost on the back side of the motherboard under the socket. I had too put souble sided foam tape down to keep it from making puddles :P

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Im waiting to get a new res and tubing to build mine. Got a peltier with a built in heatsink :)

Peltier with built in heatsink? is it the ultra chill tec one?

But I got 4.8 on a 212...

Peltier with built in heatsink or water block?

Did you get a V10?

Peltier with built in heatsink? is it the ultra chill tec one?

Its a Coolit something system or rather with a dead pump and a removed W/B (I removed it I want to expand it and it doesnt have the hold down plate either not to mention not compatible with 115x) has i think a delta fan on it....

Peltier with built in heatsink or water block?

Did you get a V10?

elite_mfg_pic.jpg

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

I conformal coated the whole board, and filled the socket with dielectric grease. I could of poured water on it to little effect :P

Wow, smart I might try that but my only deal with it is, is it something that could stay running without any problems for months with no maintenance? And also I have a bad chip(4790k) that even on a z97 mobo can't clock over 4.6Ghz 

Wow, smart I might try that but my only deal with it is, is it something that could stay running without any problems for months with no maintenance? And also I have a bad chip(4790k) that even on a z97 mobo can't clock over 4.6Ghz 

Did you look at my screen shot I ran my 3570k at over 1.5v daily for ages  it was the only way to break 4.4Ghz on the thing.

If I do it again I want too get one of these http://thermo-electric-cooling.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

But I don't know if the guy is still making them and I don't want too throw $200 at a dead store.

also for the condensation I used a thermostat that for me was set to turn off the loop at -1C so the block wouldn't freeze but you could use a similar setup to make sure you don't go too close too your dew point.

the last time i used a peltier was back when I had a Pentium 3 - Slot 1 @ 500Mhz....I overcloked it back then to 650Mhz no problem with a working temp of 0 degrees celsius ! (at least that what the thermometer showed) ...It required a 75W power for the peltier alone, a bukly aluminum cooler (I used Globalwin VOS32 cooler) and a hell of a good insulation in order not to fry anything from condensing. But using watercooling with a peltier, I think it's a bit of an overkill...

Did you look at my screen shot I ran my 3570k at over 1.5v daily for ages  it was the only way to break 4.4Ghz on the thing.

If I do it again I want too get one of these http://thermo-electric-cooling.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=19

But I don't know if the guy is still making them and I don't want too throw $200 at a dead store.

also for the condensation I used a thermostat that for me was set to turn off the loop at -1C so the block wouldn't freeze but you could use a similar setup to make sure you don't go too close too your dew point.

Yeah those Water blocks with peltier coolers built in look quite nice except for the enormous price tag. I think I'm going to get a z97 motherboard soon and start overvolting my 4790k to see how high I can get the clock speeds.. This loop I have now is good except for the fact that the aluminum is very poor at cooling the water.. So in the future I think im gonna go with an all copper setup with the peltier cooler on the cpu and see how that preforms

Yeah those Water blocks with peltier coolers built in look quite nice except for the enormous price tag. I think I'm going to get a z97 motherboard soon and start overvolting my 4790k to see how high I can get the clock speeds.. This loop I have now is good except for the fact that the aluminum is very poor at cooling the water.. So in the future I think im gonna go with an all copper setup with the peltier cooler on the cpu and see how that preforms

Well you need to remember that that air cooler you have on there is taking all of the heat from the peltier + the CPU so your loosing out on headroom there as well. since the peltier will only get so much colder than its hot side.

Side note, If your pump fails you should be aware that the peltier will boil the water on its hotside. (quickly). I had a bit of tubing go off like a water balloon when I had forgotten to plug in the pump on the radiator side. It was quite spectacular.

While I personally think that something like this is a huge waste of electricity (energy lost doesn't equal performance gained) I do like the concept of sub ambient coolers.

You mentioned in the video that the peltier was rated for 12V at 6A, which puts its power dissipation at 72W without actually cooling anything. Adding the power being transferred from the CPU into the equation and there is a huge amount of energy being used up.

You are also not getting the most out of the loop because of the fact that you are transferring the heat from the CPU to the peltier using water. The water is only transferring so much of this heat at a time. Surrounding the CPU with some sort of insulation and mounting the peltier directly to the CPU would greatly improve the efficiency of your loop. Also, I would say to ditch the heat sink on the hot side of the peltier and use your water cooling loop to cool the peltier instead (you would still need to invest in a proper radiator of some sort).

Invest in something like this PWM motor controller and connect it directly to the peltier. This will help you squeeze a little more efficiency out of the system... theoretically. I say that because I've never actually used a peltier myself but if it follows the laws of physics, it should draw less current as the voltage is decreased.

If you choose to stick with your setup, I would also invest in a smarter temp controller. As you have it setup now your system is monitoring the temp of the CPU and changing the speed of the fan on your heat sink based on that. It's not taking into account the additional power produced by the peltier unless you've specifically tuned the BIOS to do so (don't know if your board supports it). This system can directly monitor the peltier and adjust the fan accordingly so that you are getting more efficiency out of your loop.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

As it looks nice as a mod and is fun to play with, they are super inefficient. People complaining about AMD using a few watts more, but you on the other hand uses 100 watts (including pumps and fans) for cooling....

Personally I also use perltier elements. But I set them up to recover electrical energy from the heat produced by the GPUs :)

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil