I had a brain fart...in a goodway...maybe.

YeroJero

So you know that thing from a while back where "15-YEAR-OLD INVENTS FLASHLIGHT POWERED BY BODY HEAT". It got me thinking, if the heat from your body can power a couple of LEDs in a torch, how much heat can the combination of a GPU, CPU etc produce to power maybe a PSU.

Of course the CPU and GPU would burn out from having no cooling but what if they could sustain themselves without cooling of any kind. Imagine what we could do. Recycled heat from CPU and GPU powering PSU in a continuous loop; therefore no need to plug into the wall; therefore less energy used; therefore less on the electricity bill; therefore more environmentally friendly?

I know there are probably a million things that are wrong with this but in the future, who knows? I just had to get it out there...

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

This would sound so freaking awesome. Intel would have a reason for Haswell being so hot!

Andres "Bluejay" Alejandro Montefusco - The Forums Favorite Bird!!!

Top Clock: 7.889 Ghz Cooled by: Liquid Helium   

#ChocolateRAM #OatmealFans #ScratchItHarder #WorstcardBestoverclocker #CrazySexStories #SchnitzelQuest TS3 SERVER

The problem would be that power degrades when it is converted, therefor rendering this to be a very short run. Heat energy is very difficult to convert to other form of energy.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

i think its a cool idea but i dont think it will work but i also had a similer idea with an electric car if you have 2 motors hoked up to 2 wheels and 2 generators hooked up to the other 2 wheels and stuff 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

well, one of those flashlights that are powered by a valve or something that you spin. what if we can use that power to turn the its own valve and generate more electricity? just a thought though. 

| i5 3570 | Palit GTX 680 jetsream | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h | Corsair Vengeance 2x4 1600mhz | WD Caviar Black  1TB | Corsair TX 650m | Coolemaster Hyper212 X | NZXT Pantom 410 | Asus VS239 | Logitech G400s |

Click here to learn how to troll

The problem would be that power degrades when it is converted, therefor rendering this a very short run. Heat energi is very difficult to convert to other form of energi.

True but if you're recycling energy and putting it back into the 'loop' you still end up using less electricity than you would have otherwise.

I'm sure there's a whole manner of technical hurdles but the idea is fantastic :)

4930k @ 4.5GHz - EVGA 780ti Superclocked ACX - ASUS x79 Deluxe - 32GB Tactical Tracer @ 2133

True but if you're recycling energy and putting it back into the 'loop' you still end up using less electricity than you would have otherwise.

I'm sure there's a whole manner of technical hurdles but the idea is fantastic :)

For the most convinient way we would have to use thermocouples, but that would mean thath the system would have to run extremely hot and the output would not even be enought ot power a light bulb. The alternative would be to convert from heat, to kinetic to electricity. That would mean a hugh installation and probably very little power gain. 

I think when you calculate the cost of those things you would be better off just paying the electricty bill.

For the most convinient way we would have to usee thermocouples, but that would mean thath the system would have to run extremely hot and the output would not even be enought ot power a light bulb. The alternative would be to convert from heat, to kinetic to electricity. That would mean a hugh installation and probably very little power gain. 

I think when you calculate the cost of those things you would be better off just paying the electricty bill.

Yeah makes sense. Ah well it was worth a shot. Hopefully it sparks an idea for someone in the future.

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

Converting heat energy is really bad at efficiency 

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

Yeah makes sense. Ah well it was worth a shot. Hopefully it sparks an idea for someone in the future.

Don't ever stop thinking about these things. It is people with the imagination like your that fuels the future. We might be limited by todays technology, but nobody knows what tomorrow will bring

2bcdb8_1971265.jpg

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

it's a great idea! i had thought of this before, but then i found this.. http://www.tgdaily.com/trendwatch-features/32323-scientists-convert-processor-heat-back-to-electricity but that's not to say you could work on some sort of personal system?

AMD 8350 // 8 GB Corsair Ram // PNY 780 Ti // Asus 1080p Monitor // Antec 120mm AIO // CM Quickfire TK w/ Custom Caps  // RAT 5 mouse // Audio Technica m50x // Behringer 4-line + Line6 8-line Audio Interfaces

Yeah I believe that it breaks the laws of thermodynamics, heat isn't the only form of energy the PC would produce, so I don't think that you could convert that heat energy back into electricity at over 100% efficiency.

I suppose it could be used as a supplement like KERS, but doubt it would be worthwhile as it probably wouldn't be able to produce the energy required simultaneously.

It could actually be a great idea for a UPS.

An awsome idea. Of course the PC couldn't power itself entirely (that is impossible), but dropping the power consumption to half for example would be worth it.

That wouldn't be beneficial at all, judging from the small amount of physics I know :p

i5 4670k - MSI GTX 770 gaming - Fractal design define R4 (windowed) - MSI Z87-G45 gaming - be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2 - Corsair vengeance 8 gb (lp) - WB black 1tb - 256GB SSD - Corsair TX 750M - Ducky Shine 3

The problem would be that power degrades when it is converted, therefor rendering this to be a very short run. Heat energy is very difficult to convert to other form of energy.

That's how we create the majority of our electricity...

Also, it would be quite expensive up front, and you'd need a second day source of electricity (since nothing is 100% efficient).

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

That's how we create the majority of our electricity...

Also, it would be quite expensive up front, and you'd need a second day source of electricity (since nothing is 100% efficient).

I know that is how electricty is made, but it is still a highly inefficient way of creating electric energy. We just don't know of any better way of doing it. Atleast not a convenient way.

For this to work you'd need to create energy out of nothing, which would mean this would be irrelevant as energy would be free since energy would have been already created out of nothing.

No 100% efficient machine exists. What you're asking is akin to turning on a lightbulb with the energy from it's own heat. Only a fraction of the electricity is turned into heat, the rest is actually used, so even if you managed to figure out a way to turn 100% of the heat back into energy, which would award you a nobel prize and solve the energy crysis, and a way to transfer 100% of the heat, while we're still struggling to dissipate enough heat on a pc let alone actually transfer it to something else, you'd only get a fraction of the energy used by the computer back as electricity.

110% efficient machines, creating more energy that you'd have put there in the first place, is impossible. It is possible to get some of the energy back, like how cars now manage to get some of the energy back through the breaks, transforming the kinetic energy into electricity, but heat transfer is much much much much much harder to do.

It would have to be a way of using less energy rather than not having to plug into the wall but you just made me think of something else. Why hasn't there been any solar panels integrated into the lids of notebooks etc. Especially these ones that are meant to be used outdoors. You wouldn't leave it out but it could be an idea.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn’t always roll that way." - TS

It would have to be a way of using less energy rather than not having to plug into the wall but you just made me think of something else. Why hasn't there been any solar panels integrated into the lids of notebooks etc. Especially these ones that are meant to be used outdoors. You wouldn't leave it out but it could be an idea.

I guess the problem is the price and size of solar panels. But that kind of things are being developed, I'm pretty sure I have seen a picture of a phone with solar panel back somewhere...

Suppose that this actually worked...How would you get the power supply power until the components heated up to produce enough energy to convert into electricity? Would it still plug into a wall for supplemental power, perhaps?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Cost may be a factor for not having solar panels on notebooks.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

The reason this idea has potential, I think, is that computers don't really do physichal work right? The electricity is used to control 1/0 values but in the end every watt is being translated in to heat. So even with a decent efficiency you would get quite a lot of the energy that is being consumed back. Please correct me, I'm probably wrong. :)

Only a bit of the energy is being converted into heat. Like having an energy efficient PSU(say Platinum) would cause it to kick out less heat because less energy is being wasted.

Because you'd need to spend quite some time in the sun for it to be worth it.