Intel Gaming CPU: Recommendations?

I'm looking to upgrade from my FX 6300 to an Intel CPU in the near future.  So far, I've narrowed it down to 3 options:

i7-5820K

i7-4790K

i5-4690K

I'd like to know what you recommend for gaming, and why. You can recommend something else if you like. You should bear in mind that I want this CPU to last me (and perform very well during) the next 3 years, and I'd like to overclock pretty heavily. Thanks in advance!

They are all good, the question is do you really need the 4-8 extra threads? 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

They are all good, the question is do you really need the 4-8 extra threads? 

That's a good question. At the moment, probably not. In two years, once DX12 has matured? Quite possibly.

Look if you have the money just get x99 and be done with it.

The price difference from a 4790k is totally worth it.

A 4790k is plenty for just gaming and a 4690k is fine as long as you ONLY GAME but as soon as you start doing anything in the background you can start to see issues.

See linus's gaming cpu review as it deals with all of the details I am mentioning anyways.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

i would get an i5-6600K and a cheap Z170 board if possible...for gaming this will yield the best results...for gaming the higher the IPC count the better it is, so i would get the best one from the get go.

If you do other multi-threaded applications along with it, or if you stream games and what not then consider the core i7-5820K.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i would get an i5-6600K and a cheap Z170 board if possible...for gaming this will yield the best results...for gaming the higher the IPC count the better it is, so i would get the best one from the get go.

If you do other multi-threaded applications along with it, or if you stream games and what not then consider the core i7-5820K.

What would make you recommend the 6600K over the 4790K?

What would make you recommend the 6600K over the 4790K?

Probably the mainstream DDR4 support and the better thermal and overclocking feature it has.

If I was you, upgrading from AMD, I'd get 6700k over the 4790k all day. Because it's newer and it's worth the $30-50 extra.

But if I was already on a 4790k, it would be a different story.

Probably the mainstream DDR4 support and the better thermal and overclocking feature it has.

If I was you, upgrading from AMD, I'd get 6700k over the 4790k all day. Because it's newer and it's worth the $30-50 extra.

But if I was already on a 4790k, it would be a different story.

I'm not sure about the prices in your country, but the 6700k is about £50 more here. Plus, I'd need new RAM, and potentially a new cooler too. The same is true of the 5820K, I think. 

I'm not sure about the prices in your country, but the 6700k is about £50 more here. Plus, I'd need new RAM, and potentially a new cooler too. The same is true of the 5820K, I think. 

then it's not worth it if you already have the DDR3 RAM and it's fine then by all means save money and get the i7-4790K.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR