Australia's NBN set to cost $15b more than expected.

Muz

The Federal Government has confirmed the cost of building the National Broadband Network has blown out again, by up to $15 billion, but insists the project will still be cheaper than Labor's alternative plan.
Mr Turnbull said the current plan would be completed in 2020, which he said was up to eight years more quickly than Labor's fibre-only plan.

As an Australian myself, I hoped the government (when Liberals were elected) would go with Labors fibre only, what the Liberals are doing is fibre to the node, then copper to the house, very disappointing. So much potential in speeds lost just by the government saving a quick buck.

Someone suggest me a country that has decent internet and isn't being run by clowns in government.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/nbn-cost-blows-out-by-up-to-15-billion-dollars/6720878

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

what.. how is this is even possible..

15 billion AUD.. HOW?! Oh I know how, because governments can just print more money..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

A country that is not ruled by clowns ? You high ?

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

Wew... Even in our country where there's one of the most evil providers of the history, some offer you FTTH, yes, they put a real fiber "cable" in your home. 

The only problem when moving the router: please don't bend, don't bend, DON'T BEND xD

NVM, you totally don't want our government

This is a signature.

Someone suggest me a country that has decent internet and isn't being run by clowns in government.

404: country not found.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Do it look like a give a shit about the cost... NO. I just want my fast internet

Do it look like a give a shit about the cost... NO. I just want my fast internet

Enjoy your copper, if Labor is elected hopefully it isn't too late to change back to fibre for the remaining areas :)

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Australia is doomed, im gettin outta here asap.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Enjoy your copper, if Labor is elected hopefully it isn't too late to change back to fibre for the remaining areas :)

I live in an Old Queenslander and if they do anything under my house it will pros collapse. Its been here since 1903

Theoretically it's not, if fibre is being run to the node, is an easy matter to run it a bit further to the premises. Labor won't do it though, it would blow the cost out even more.

Is also worth noting that this cost blowout has to be picked up by private investors (from my understanding) and not the taxpayers. 

I live in an Old Queenslander and if they do anything under my house it will pros collapse. Its been here since 1903

My grandparents have Wireless NBN on a farm and here I am in a tourism town with a decent number of people and still no Wireless NBN for me T^T

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

To be quite honest, I don't see the big hoorah about the internet, i'm currently running cable at home ( Copper ) and I have 112mb/it up, only thing that sucks on cable is the upload, which i get like 2mb/it.

Yes, our country is run by fuckin gumbies, but so is every other country, especially european countries, I feel for everyone, but we can't complain, Australia is pretty damn good to live in, bearable internet is a trade-off for having a 3rd world economy or civil wars.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

My grandparents have Wireless NBN on a farm and here I am in a tourism town with a decent number of people and still no Wireless NBN for me T^T

I'm pretty sure that wireless crap is credulously expensive.

To be quite honest, I don't see the big hoorah about the internet, i'm currently running cable at home ( Copper ) and I have 112mb/it up, only thing that sucks on cable is the upload, which i get like 2mb/it.

Yes, our country is run by fuckin gumbies, but so is every other country, especially european countries, I feel for everyone, but we can't complain, Australia is pretty damn good to live in, bearable internet is a trade-off for having a 3rd world economy or civil wars.

I get 2mb/s downloads and 200kb/s uploads, this is regular downloads and stuff, not speedtest or anything.

rip double post

Edited by Muz

I get 2mb/s downloads and 200kb/s uploads, this is regular downloads and stuff, not speedtest or anything.

rip double post

I do understand your pain regarding the internet speeds.. my mates house has horrid ADSL2+ that cant even hold a game of DotA 2 due to the ridiculous 200+ ping

But nonetheless, it's internet, it works and it's stable, we can't complain, a lot of people don't have what we take for granted every day.

I'm not having a dig, just don't like the fact people are complaining about an upgrade, they lay the foundations now, and there's always that option of an upgrade in the future (running the fibre to the household at a later date)

but for now copper is fine, well at least it is for me and quite a few of my mates.

CPU i5 6600K | Mobo Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 | Cooling H80i | MSI GTX970 Gaming 4GB in SLi | Geil Super Luce 16GB 3000MHz DDR4 | Intel 330 120GB | 2 x 1TB WD Black | Corsair Air 540 | XFX ProSeries 1250W. | Corsair K70 Anodised Black Cherry Reds | Logitech G502 | Dell U2713HM | Red LED Lighting.

Portable Gamer - Metabox Alpha W370SS - CPU i7 4710MQ | RAM 8GB 1600MHz | Nvidia GTX 860M 2GB GDDR5 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD | 17.3" Matte Display 72% Gamut
Back-up - HP Pavilion dv6 - Ancient Stuff - P7550 @ 2.26gHz  | DDR2 4GB | Kingston HyperX 120Gb SSD | ATi 4550m (fried)

as an Auzzie with FTTH its worth it. copper has had its time and now it should be fibres turn 

Desktop 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2GHz Mobo: Asus X99 Strix GPU: 2x Asus Strix 970 RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz, SSD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB, 2x Intel 520 256GB HDD: 2TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv atx Tempered Glass Monitor: Asus PG278Q, Asus PB278

Laptop 

Spoiler

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 256GB 8GB RAM

Server 

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Xeon E5 2620 v4 Mobo: Asus X99-A RAM: 32GB Corsair vengeance 2400MHz SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) RAID Controller: Adaptec RAID 81605ZQ, HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL HDD: 12x WD 4TB Red Case: Norcotek RPC4224

I'm pretty sure that wireless crap is credulously expensive.

Nah im pretty sure its because theyre still in the process of testing it so its not actually that pricy

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
Case:

Cheers, Liberal voters. This is great! Maybe by my 30th I'll have decent speeds for my business work <3

/For international people, our "Liberals" are the conservatives here. Not Liberal at all really, like... maybe on high income tax breaks? Yeah, the rich get liberty.

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

Theoretically it's not, if fibre is being run to the node, is an easy matter to run it a bit further to the premises. Labor won't do it though, it would blow the cost out even more.

Is also worth noting that this cost blowout has to be picked up by private investors (from my understanding) and not the taxpayers. 

Labor already released a NBN policy, they will complete the existing contracts under FTTN, then upgrade all of them to FTTP once the rollout is completed. No new FTTN contracts will be created under Labor though. The fact is, FTTN is actually a lot more expensive since you don't get the same revenue return as you do from FTTP.

i7 6700K - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger - Corsair H110i GT CPU Cooler - EVGA GTX 980 Ti ACX2.0+ SC+ - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz - Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - AX760i - Corsair 450D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

i7 3770K - H110 Corsair CPU Cooler - ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO - GTX 980 Reference - 16GB HyperX Beast 1600MHz - Intel 240GB SSD - HX750i - Corsair 750D - XB270HU G-Sync Monitor

It's not that simple.

That said the rollout works on an area-by-area basis. They don't sign contracts for the entire thing and they don't roll out the entire country at once. Which is why when the Libs got in they didn't suddenly down tools and stop doing FTTH entirely, contracts were signed. Some areas only just got connected to FTTH! So I'd assume that if (or when) Labor got back in after the next election that they'd do a similar thing. Just not sign any more FTTN contracts. The FTTN rollout would naturally taper out and FTTH would eventually take over again.

I don't think the cost would blow out much more if they were to do that. They already did a lot of the FTTH groundwork. It'd be a bit rough for people who got FTTN but other than that. Surely better than the mess if the Libs continue with FTTN to its completion. Just as long as they don't change it for every single new government.....

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

Complete idiocy by the Liberal government in the first place to go from FTTP/H to FTTN. They were doing it to save costs, saying we didn't need more than 25mbps (lmao), yet regardless, NBN has blown out in price on multiple occasions, has had pretty slow implementation and let's be honest, the network's going to have to get upgraded again in not too long.. It's so frustrating. 

Edit - oh yeah btw lads, the Liberal Party in Aus isn't really 'liberal' in the ideological sense, in case any of you were curious

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

I find it humorous that when a private citizen or even a corporation goes to complete a project, it can be done without a ridiculous amount of money, but when governments go to complete a project, it takes a RETARDED amount of money to complete.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Cheers, Liberal voters. This is great! Maybe by my 30th I'll have decent speeds for my business work <3

/For international people, our "Liberals" are the conservatives here. Not Liberal at all really, like... maybe on high income tax breaks? Yeah, the rich get liberty.

things aren't so black and white, don't blame the voters

things aren't so black and white, don't blame the voters

Of course, why blame the very people who put them in power with full knowledge of their policies(or lack thereof)... Complete madness. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.