Australia's NBN set to cost $15b more than expected.

Muz

Of course, why blame the very people who put them in power with full knowledge of their policies(or lack thereof)... Complete madness. 

The previous government was as unpopular and inefficient as this one, last election was choosing between death by fire or death by drowning.

I don't think for a second labour would've delivered the project on time, on budget or even at all. NBN was in a pretty shambolic state at the election (and was meant to be rolled out before the election).

To be quite honest, I don't see the big hoorah about the internet, i'm currently running cable at home ( Copper ) and I have 112mb/it up, only thing that sucks on cable is the upload, which i get like 2mb/it.

Yes, our country is run by fuckin gumbies, but so is every other country, especially european countries, I feel for everyone, but we can't complain, Australia is pretty damn good to live in, bearable internet is a trade-off for having a 3rd world economy or civil wars.

It hurts. It hurts bad :(

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

As an Australian myself, I hoped the government (when Liberals were elected) would go with Labors fibre only, what the Liberals are doing is fibre to the node, then copper to the house, very disappointing. So much potential in speeds lost just by the government saving a quick buck.

Someone suggest me a country that has decent internet and isn't being run by clowns in government.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/nbn-cost-blows-out-by-up-to-15-billion-dollars/6720878

As someone from the US, also looking to find a country not being run by clowns in government, Nordic countries are looking pretty good.

what.. how is this is even possible..

15 billion AUD.. HOW?! Oh I know how, because governments can just print more money..

You know it's not that simple right? If they just print more money all they will do is lower its value and the damage in the long run would be really big.

As someone from the US, also looking to find a country not being run by clowns in government, Nordic countries are looking pretty good.

Looks like the best countries in the world are either Nordic / Scandinavian, Germany, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, and Ireland.  Ireland having the lowest taxes in the world and the full expansion of a nationwide fiber network.  South Korea due to a lot of policies.  Just gotta hope the North settle down.  Taiwan is burning hot, but good prices on technology given it is all made there.  

You know it's not that simple right? If they just print more money all they will do is lower its value and the damage in the long run would be really big.

And yet, governments print more money all the time to dig themselves out of holes.  Administrations don't care about the long-term.  It is almost always about making their party look good for the next election, and ensuring they keep their voter base or grow it.  Saying they chose to print money to try and help everyone can often sway the ignorant voters.  Just look at the U.S.

just put some more tax on food and they'll make it back

also, they don't care. after 4 years they are gone anyways so it probably wont affect them

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

And yet, governments print more money all the time to dig themselves out of holes. Administrations don't care about the long-term. It is almost always about making their party look good for the next election, and ensuring they keep their voter base or grow it. Saying they chose to print money to try and help everyone can often sway the ignorant voters. Just look at the U.S.

That's not how it works at all. "Printing money" does nothing for helping a countries economy in the short or long term. Instead what you will have seen is the US printing money to devalue their currency and thus increase exports to help their economy which is actually a pretty sound idea. So please, know just a little bit about economics before making statements like that in the future.

That's not how it works at all. "Printing money" does nothing for helping a countries economy in the short or long term. Instead what you will have seen is the US printing money to devalue their currency and thus increase exports to help their economy which is actually a pretty sound idea. So please, know just a little bit about economics before making statements like that in the future.

I recognize it does nothing good, but politicians and government organizations still do it in attempts to say it is one thing or another, but the end result is always negative..  For many instances it is a political play like everything else.  That was my point.  It is all about making themselves look good for the general masses in the short term, even if nothing good does happen from it - they can say they found a solution, and ignorant voters will throw their hands in the air and say, "At-least they tried to fix it."  I've seen that logic time and time again throughout Florida.  

So they said that they'd save money by doing copper to home. Then new technology comes out that drastically increases the distance a signal can be transmitted over a fibre optic cable reducing the need for expensive repeaters thus cutting back further on the cost. Then they say its going to cost $15billion more than expected? They can jamb it up their collective asses.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I find it humorous that when a private citizen or even a corporation goes to complete a project, it can be done without a ridiculous amount of money, but when governments go to complete a project, it takes a RETARDED amount of money to complete.

Well most governments are run by retards so......

PMSL

Well most governments are run by retards so......

Wow, too far dude.

People with a mental handicap don't want to be compared with government people too!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Wow, too far dude.

People with a mental handicap don't want to be compared with government people too!

They are handicapped not retarded.....so they aren't being compared.

PMSL

Watch as they pass on none of the savings to the end users.

To be quite honest, I don't see the big hoorah about the internet, i'm currently running cable at home ( Copper ) and I have 112mb/it up, only thing that sucks on cable is the upload, which i get like 2mb/it.

Serious? I have cable and my upload speed is 10mbps (with 75mbps down)

Of course, different country, but cable is cable.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Just a correction, the government will only be funding it up to $29B, the rest has to come from the private sector (banks, corporations, etc). Still ridiculously short-sighted, this will end up costing even more money down the line when the remaining copper needs to be replaced...

Just a correction, the government will only be funding it up to $29B, the rest has to come from the private sector (banks, corporations, etc). Still ridiculously short-sighted, this will end up costing even more money down the line when the remaining copper needs to be replaced...

It already needs to be replaced right now. As it is people have to deal with slow speeds, high ping and high packet loss at 'peak times' (the jury is still out on whether or not ISP throttle to balance the load).

PMSL

Looks like the best countries in the world are either Nordic / Scandinavian, Germany, Switzerland, South Korea, Taiwan, and Ireland.  Ireland having the lowest taxes in the world and the full expansion of a nationwide fiber network.  South Korea due to a lot of policies.  Just gotta hope the North settle down.  Taiwan is burning hot, but good prices on technology given it is all made there.  

I absolutely hate hot weather, so despite loving esports, I would stay far away from SK and Taiwan (I also like milk a lot, something which is scarce over there). Also, I think it's Sweden which considers access to high speed internet a basic human right, and is on track to have at least 90% of its population able to access a 100mbps connection by 2020, I've no complaints with that :D

As an Australian myself, I hoped the government (when Liberals were elected) would go with Labors fibre only, what the Liberals are doing is fibre to the node, then copper to the house, very disappointing. So much potential in speeds lost just by the government saving a quick buck.

Someone suggest me a country that has decent internet and isn't being run by clowns in government.

Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-24/nbn-cost-blows-out-by-up-to-15-billion-dollars/6720878

realistically, if its just copper from the street boxes and into the house, the loss of speed is minimal because you do not need any additional signal amps on the way (unless you live on a ranch)....

Yes, our country is run by fuckin gumbies, but so is every other country, especially european countries, I feel for everyone, but we can't complain, Australia is pretty damn good to live in, bearable internet is a trade-off for having a 3rd world economy or civil wars.

'I have lots of food to eat so homeless people should be fine too'

-.-

realistically, if its just copper from the street boxes and into the house, the loss of speed is minimal because you do not need any additional signal amps on the way (unless you live on a ranch)....

Like a few people have been saying already, it's value for money, you would get more value from just running the fibre all the way to the household. There's a minimal lost but still a loss of speed which even business might need desperately. 

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

It's the other way around. Copper to the node, fibre to the houses. Fibre has already been installed in our street. Either way, frankly, is entirely pointless (and a waste of taxpayer money) as long as the copper bottleneck still exists.

This is what I think of Pre-Ordering video games: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp98SH3vW2Y

Yeah, that's nice for you. Then there's the rest of us who're on twisted pair lines which can't even make it to ADSL2 speeds, because we're at the end of the limits for the exchange, but yet we're being charged for that just so we can have something more than 1.5mbps down & 512kbps up, and then there's others I know who're unable to get ADSL at all because the telcos refuse to upgrade their local exchange or even street junctions to cope and are forced to pay through the teeth for over priced and extremely congested 3G/4G home broadband.

This country needs telecommunications infrastructure that going to last, whilst delivering the bandwidth needed today in 2015 and be able to cope for the future and not need the lines to be replaced every 15 to 40 years depending where they are.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

It's the other way around. Copper to the node, fibre to the houses. Fibre has already been installed in our street. Either way, frankly, is entirely pointless (and a waste of taxpayer money) as long as the copper bottleneck still exists.

Uh, it's fibre to the node then copper to the house for sure dude...

- CPU: Intel i7 3770 - GPU: MSI R9 390 - RAM: 16GB of DDR3 - SSD: Crucial BX100 - HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB -

Getting fttp in outback NT, all fibre in the NT is contracted through a single company, so when they say it's economically not viable to do fttn due to excessive trench works required they get the go ahead to do a blanket fttp for entire regions. Only a total of 2km of trench work needed, of a network of 80km but it saved them extra man hours and is giving me excellent choices once finished. Should be hooked up by January hopefully =)

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."