PC vs PS4 buying decision

I know PC is a master race and I have always been a PC gamer.

However I'm starting up for Christmas and am considering buying one or the other.

I have a pretty good laptop at the moment which can run most modern games at 1080p at medium/high settings. I want to use the laptop mainly for work and college so that's the main reason for the post.

I like a good few things about a ps4:

• better local multiplayer (most pc games do not support this)
  • some exclusives are really really good
  • faster to get into game
  • less wires
  • tiny package
  • the controller feels awesome in hand
  • single store
  • monthly/yearly subscription

Then on the other house a PC is:

• way more powerful
  • easily upgradable
  • STEAM SALES
  • console grade PC cheaper than a console
  • plug in anything
  • overclocking
  • dedicated servers
  • can be bulky
  • way to many e-stores (origin, GoG, steam, etc..)

Obviously PC wins the power specs but PS4 is a unified platform where devs can program games for the console and get a lot out of a mediocre GPU, while on PC every PC is almost different and a better GPU gives you an advantage but is never used to full potential even if you can max out games on 4k (it could do better if devs focused on a single GPU)

I already own a windows 10 device which is pretty good:

I7 4700HQ

16 Gbs of ram

2 Gigs GPU (Amd R9 M265x unfortunately but it runs smooth and at a 1080p in most new games)

1 Tb HDD (SSD coming soon)

So in the end it's a tough decision for me. Both systems offer great experience and both have convincing pros and cons.

That's why I'm asking you to help me to make up my mind.
I often play splitscreen with my friends.

I know PC is a master race and I have always been a PC gamer.

However I'm starting up for Christmas and am considering buying one or the other.

I have a pretty good laptop at the moment which can run most modern games at 1080p at medium/high settings. I want to use the laptop mainly for work and college so that's the main reason for the post.

I like a good few things about a ps4:

• better local multiplayer (most pc games do not support this)
  • some exclusives are really really good
  • faster to get into game
  • less wires
  • tiny package
  • the controller feels awesome in hand
  • single store
  • monthly/yearly subscription

Then on the other house a PC is:

• way more powerful
  • easily upgradable
  • STEAM SALES
  • console grade PC cheaper than a console
  • plug in anything
  • overclocking
  • dedicated servers
  • can be bulky

Obviously PC wins the power specs but PS4 is a unified platform where devs can program games for the console and get a lot out of a mediocre GPU, while on PC every PC is almost different and a better GPU gives you an advantage but is never used to full potential even if you can max out games on 4k (it could do better if devs focused on a single GPU)

I already own a windows 10 device which is pretty good:

I7 4700HQ

16 Gbs of ram

2 Gigs GPU (Amd R9 M265x unfortunately but it runs smooth and at a 1080p in most new games)

1 Tb HDD (SSD coming soon)

So in the end it's a tough decision for me. Both systems offer great experience and both have convincing pros and cons.

That's why I'm asking you to help me to make up my mind.

I often play splitscreen with my friends.

playing any sony exclusives?

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I'd say get the PS4 tbh. It looks like you want that couch-gaming with friends. A PC will never be abled to do that with such little effort as a console. Get a 2nd controller for it and start rocking.

You can play games on your laptop in okay quality. if that quality is annoying you too much, its worth upgrading to a PC, but if you are okay with it, just stay away from a PC for now.

who cares...

I don't like consoles that much but i'll get it for exclusives and since you have a good laptop, might as well.

(I got my PS3 ONLY for GTA V, Now I have GTA V for my computer and it is AWESOME!!!)

I brought a PS4 and regret it, the only reason I got it was to play with friends but sony don't seem to know what they're doing with it anymore. If I could go back I would get the Xbone, since all the exclusives are better in my opinion and they actually give away good games on the xbox where as on ps4 the only good game they ever gave away was dragon age, most of them are just indie garbage.

Unless you're getting it to play with friends I wouldn't bother.

CPU: 6600K @ 4.6Ghz | COOLER: H100i GTX | MOBO: Asus Z170 AR | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid | RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB | 

CASE: Corsair 760T | PSU: Corsair RM750x | STORAGE: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB & Seagate 2TB | KEYBOARD: K70 RGB | MOUSE: Deathadder Elite

Do you really need a new PC/Are you going to play more than 5 games on the PS4?

Don't really need a new PC. For a PS4 I was gonna start off with 3 or 4 then build up the collection.

I still own the 1st gen ps3 and that runs well enough but you can really tell how much it aged

Don't really need a new PC. For a PS4 I was gonna start off with 3 or 4 then build up the collection.

I still own the 1st gen ps3 and that runs well enough but you can really tell how much it aged

i know my ps3 aged really well all said and done.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Fair enough, I was just asking because wasting money isn't fun in the end

This is a signature.

y either or? just buy a xbox one and a pc

fuck ps4

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

I don't like consoles that much but i'll get it for exclusives and since you have a good laptop, might as well.

(I got my PS3 ONLY for GTA V, Now I have GTA V for my computer and it is AWESOME!!!)

Ya, I played GTA V on ps3 just when it came out then when it came out for PC I just couldn't look at the PS3 version again

Lets get one thing clear, there is no such thing as "the better platform" its what you prefer, also the monthly subsription thing isnt really a con on the console side seeing as how the PC suffers from this to an even further extent, on PC there are several games that you need to pay a monthly fee for, if you play Steam games however this wont be an issue. I got an Xbox One beacuse i wanted to play the Xbox exclusives, but id say get a powerful PC and then save up for a PS4, but its completely up to you. I think Linus did a video on this some time ago and id say its worth checking out.

playing any sony exclusives?

uncharted and last of us.

But for ps4, no mans sky and everybodys gone to rapture look very good

Ya, I played GTA V on ps3 just when it came out then when it came out for PC I just couldn't look at the PS3 version again

I know right.

I bought the cheapest PS3 (A 12GB super slim)

Had no HDD, had to pull a hdd from a netbook and now it is ghetto mounted in there.

well half of the things you put on the Play station pros you could add you the PC  like small form factor, few wires  controller, exclusive games. and the other you could argue all day.

But play what you like to play I have a PC and there has been may time that I have thought about getting a PS4 just to play MLB the Show and to have something for my family to play on together.

Seeing as you play most games decently with your laptop and you're not complaining with the performance, I say get the PS4. 

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

I was thinking the same thing as you because all my friends had consoles, and I only had PC.

Now all my friends have PC.

I don't see any reason to buy PS4, unless you have lot of friends to play with on that console.

uncharted and last of us.

But for ps4, no mans sky and everybodys gone to rapture look very good

Its worth noting No mans sky isn't a PS4 exclusive. IMO unless you really want to play the exclusives and can justify $400 + a monthly fee for what is essentially hardware DRM for a handful of games I would just go for a PC, especially with more and more games that have traditionally been exclusives coming over to PC. Another selling point for PS4 would be if that's where all your friends play though.

If you're after good local multiplayer then a console is the way forward. It is possible to build an SFF rig with a keyboard+touchpad combo, Xbone controller and you'll be able to play local multiplayer on PC (given that the games you play support it).

However, it is more of a faf this way.

To sum it up:

Do you want a relatively easy to access platform with little thought contributing to setting it up (plus superior local multiplayer)? Get a console

Do you want a rich and immersive gaming experience with the potential for tailoring the system to your needs? Get a PC

Incipere V5.0

Spoiler

CPU | i7-4790k | GPU | Nvidia GTX Titan X | Motherboard | MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | Memory | 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 G2 | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + Toshiba 3TB | Case | Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 5 | CPU Cooler | Noctua NH-D15

Parvulus V1.0

Spoiler

CPU | i5-4690k | GPU | Zotac GTX 960 | Motherboard | ASRock Z97M-ITX/ac | Memory | 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600MHz | PSU | EVGA 650 GS | Storage | Crucial BX200 240GB + WD 1TB Blue 2.5" | Case | Silverstone Sugo SG13

If you want to join a group chat of like-minded techies, gaming, and all things dank, join our Discord group. Message me or get into contact with Galaxy. http://linustechtips.com/main/user/107351-gaiaxy/

PC as PS4 is a big let down compared to PS3.

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600 6 Core 12 Threads Motherboard TUF B450M-PLUS GAMING RAM 32GB Dual-Channel DDR4 GPU 11GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti Case be quiet! White OS Linux Mint Cinnamon

You can do everything on the PC, outside of gaming, plus PS4 doesn't really have many good exclusives, so definitely PC.

Considering you already have a laptop I would say get the PS4 especially because you have both work and college in which you're going ot want a fast, easy gaming experience.

Pretty easy to decide:
Do you need a computer? Buy a PC.
Do you play a lot of games ? Buy a PC
Do you play rarely and don't need a computer on the side ? Buy a Ps4.

RTX2070OC 

What?! How on earth could that possibly be a negative?

The amazing pricing we enjoy on PC is, in part, a result of not having to buy everything directly through one locked-down storefront. If we don't like the price in one place, someone else might be selling cheaper.