What's the best RTS you've ever played?

As the title suggest, what's the best RTS you've ever played? Which one have you clocked 50+ hours in a single campaign? What's left you coming back again & again with extreme mod-ability?

For me, it was Sins of a Solar EmpireIt has the best replay-ability of any RTS I've played in recent years. With whole universes full of mods made available from an awesome community (from expanding planet sizes, increasing Phase Lane lengths, to featuring total conversion mods to some of my favourite Sci-Fi universes), few games have had me coming back again and again for more...

If you haven't checked it out already, I cannot recommend picking up a copy enough!

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

I'm not a massive fan of the RTS genre, though Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and the Total War games I enjoy a lot.

I'm more for turn based stuff, like Civilization.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Planetary Annihilation, Looks like grey Goo's Gona be nice as well.

Home World remastered and like you said Sins of a solar empire is always good as well :D

Does Sim City actually count as RTS..? I don't know..

But anyways, I played a game waaaay back in the Windows XP days.. It was included on the Sim City 2000 CD I think.. Pretty sure it was called 'Rise of the people' or something.

It was basically set in Native American times I think and you had to make an army of people and you had about 2 minutes for that and after that you had to fight another team (CPU, not online). If you won, you proceeded to the next stage.

You had a variety of different types of people you could deploy (regular warriors, magic guys and some more.. I think horses too..)

Pretty cool stuff. Other than that, never played an RTS

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

I'm not a massive fan of the RTS genre, though Command & Conquer: Tiberian Sun and the Total War games I enjoy a lot.

I'm more for turn based stuff, like Civilization.

Civilisation: Beyond Earth is one of the first things getting installed on my new build, when it's completed. I've had it sitting in my Steam since launch, but nothing that can run it without extremely low fps, or just crashing on boot!

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

Home World remastered and like you said Sins of a solar empire is always good as well :D

Oh dude, Homeworld was one of the first games that made me fall in love with the RTS genre! Can't wait to get my hands on Remastered :D

You running any particular awesome mods on Sins?

Also, totally hadn't seen Grey Goo, so checking that one out now too - thanks dude!

Empire Earth. Still play it, still enjoy it.

Empire Earth III was the first in the series I actually picked up, and sadly lost my copy of several moves ago.

Will have to grab it off Steam soon, now you've reminded me of it :)

Empire Earth III was the first in the series I actually picked up, and sadly lost my copy of several moves ago.

Will have to grab it off Steam soon, now you've reminded me of it :)

EE2 is pretty bad, EE3 is god awful in my opinion. It's like an extremely cut down version of EE. Depressed me to no end when it released. :(

WC2

WC3

C&C Red Alert

C&C General

Battle Realms
Age of Empires I/II

Dune 2000

I spend my youth with these games

Sins solar was coming years after these releases

I've tried starcraft but unfortunately even against AI i think I'm suck with that game.

EE2 is pretty bad, EE3 is god awful in my opinion. It's like an extremely cut down version of EE. Depressed me to no end when it released. :(

Hmmmm, maybe as it was my first EE game (and I picked up for about £7) my expectations were already low. I remember playing it nightly for a while, but it certainly wasn't a A-grade RTS title.

Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds. By far the best IMO (so much freaking nostalgia!!! I think I'll play it tonight when I get off work; praise the backwards compatibility a PC has!) followed by Star wars: Empire at war.

I don't do signatures.

Hmmmm, maybe as it was my first EE game (and I picked up for about £7) my expectations were already low. I remember playing it nightly for a while, but it certainly wasn't a A-grade RTS title.

Try the original EE, it's miles better that the sequels.

Might not be a looker but it's definitely more enjoyable.

CnC 3 Kanes Wrath

CnC Red Alert 2... was awesome!

Warhammer 40 DOW 2.... epic

Supreme Commander 1/2 both good

Total Annihilation... old game but damn good... got the CD rom :)

My SuperSex PC! (buyng stage)  i5 6600K/ CM Hyper 212 EVO/ 16GB Crucial DDR4 2133 generic/ ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming/ Samsung EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD/ Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7.2k RPM/ Gainward GTX 980 Ti Phoenix Golden Sample 6GB/ Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX/ Silverstone Strider 1KW ST-1000P/ DELL U2715h 1440p/ LOG G110/ LOG G302

I'll pick them up when I next can - thanks for the suggestion!

No problem. :)

Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds. By far the best IMO (so much freaking nostalgia!!! I think I'll play it tonight when I get off work; praise the backwards compatibility a PC has!) followed by Star wars: Empire at war.

I'd never played Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds before - certainly looks like something that'd be awesome, given how similar it appears to be to Age of Empires!

Haven't played many RTS games but Company of Heroes comes to mind. 

I'd never played Star wars Galactic Battlegrounds before - certainly looks like something that'd be awesome, given how similar it appears to be to Age of Empires!

Pretty much Exactly like it, except with flying units, and less civilizations.... but with more distinctions between them. You can also get the expansion for the game, which adds 

the Confederacy and the Republic (f*kin maxed Jedi with force invisibility ripping the enemy to shreds with lightsabers leading battalions of the best and cheapest infantry in the game: clones. You can't not love it.). The game is also very mod-friendly. I recommend checking out http://swgb.heavengames.com/ for mods and strategy.

If you like AoE but want to spice things up, you'll probably really like this, especially if you like Star Wars. IIRC Disney has been selling it for cheap after acquiring LucasArts.

I don't do signatures.

Sins of a Solar Empire was absolutely excellent. I have logged many many hours on that game.

Also Command And Conquer Red Alert 2, would be my second place. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Pretty much Exactly like it, except with flying units, and less civilizations.... but with more distinctions between them. You can also get the expansion for the game, which adds 

the Confederacy and the Republic (f*kin maxed Jedi with force invisibility ripping the enemy to shreds with lightsabers leading battalions of the best and cheapest infantry in the game: clones. You can't not love it.). The game is also very mod-friendly. I recommend checking out http://swgb.heavengames.com/ for mods and strategy.

If you like AoE but want to spice things up, you'll probably really like this, especially if you like Star Wars. IIRC Disney has been selling it for cheap after acquiring LucasArts.

That is so much my thing it's unreal - I've got to get my hands on this!!

Thank you so much mate, this is a killer recommendation :D

Sins of a Solar Empire was absolutely excellent. I have logged many many hours on that game.

Also Command And Conquer Red Alert 2, would be my second place. 

Same here! I've clocked easily 300+ hours on that game over the years.

My most played mod package was definitely the Stargate: Invasion total mod! Killer use of in-game functionality, but modified wonderfully (there's something about sending a City Ship out on a scouting / colonisation mission on it's own, then phasing in a huge fleet to it directly from across the galaxy with its onboard Stargate).

Got any awesome mod recommendations for it?

Same here! I've clocked easily 300+ hours on that game over the years.

My most played mod package was definitely the Stargate: Invasion total mod! Killer use of in-game functionality, but modified wonderfully (there's something about sending a City Ship out on a scouting / colonisation mission on it's own, then phasing in a huge fleet to it directly from across the galaxy with its onboard Stargate).

Got any awesome mod recommendations for it?

I'm boring and never knew there was a mod community for it until this thread lol.  :(

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro