What's the best RTS you've ever played?

Earth 2150

Age Of Empires 2

Oooo I forgot about that one!

Vikings FTW!!!

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Age Of Empires I / II
Warcraft III

Red Alert 2

Battle for Middle Earth 2

Edit: Settlers, although I forgot which one it was that I played so much... 3, 4? can't remember :-/

Oooo I forgot about that one!

Vikings FTW!!!

Nah mate, Turks, build as many Jannissary units as possible - send them to the enemy base, instantly win

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

You sir, are correct in your strategy.

Whenever I play AOE with friends we take turns as to who gets the turks and they pretty much always win, plus you just create the canon towers aroud your base and everyone is fucked :P

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I'm not really a fan of RTSs in general, but from recent games, Planetary Annihilation made me come back and again.

There's also the first Supreme Commander, though that might be nostalgia speaking as I got this game years ago and have not ever really finished it.

I have also very fond memories of playing Age of Empires and Age of Mythology with friends, as well as Ancient Wars: Sparta. Cossacks (don't remember which) is another I can remember.) ... ... ... LASER BEARS YYEEAAAA!!!

I don't know if it counts, but HoMM 3, 4 & 5. Especially the 4th, we once had a 12hr-long session on an xmas party, and after I took the disc out it was so hot it broke in two pieces as I was taking it out of the drive.

I also have a disc of Warcraft 3 laying around SOMEWHERE, god knows where it is. It was fun.. I think. I don't really have many memories of it as I only get it to work once (I was like 10 at the time, barely knew my way around the PC) and that's it.

EDIT: holy crap, looking back I played A TON of RTSs for "not being a fan of the genre" xD

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

Whenever I play AOE with friends we take turns as to who gets the turks and they pretty much always win, plus you just create the canon towers aroud your base and everyone is fucked :P

I have to admit, I was a wall-builder / resource gatherer most frequently in AoE AoM.

My favourite memory of playing with mates on a LAN (with an RTS) was definitely with Sins of a Solar Empire. My friends and I were the only members of a class of 4 for our Computer Science class in Sixth Form, and just spent every lesson running a local LAN match of Sins, alternating who was allied with who, etc.

It was freaking awesome.

Media Producer & PC Enthusiast

Click here for my The Red Shift Build Log thread, or click here for my Lancelot HTPC Build Log.

I have to admit, I was a wall-builder / resource gatherer most frequently in AoE AoM.

My favourite memory of playing with mates on a LAN (with an RTS) was definitely with Sins of a Solar Empire. My friends and I were the only members of a class of 4 for our Computer Science class in Sixth Form, and just spent every lesson running a local LAN match of Sins, alternating who was allied with who, etc.

It was freaking awesome.

This brings back memories of high school. Computer Science class was great. My buddies and I were particularly good at it, so when we finished our work-against our teachers approval-we had a massive Warcraft III Tower Defense match. At one point we actually competed with the class next door in a 5 v 5.

Later that year I brought in Frets on Fire to the class, and we played Frets on Fire in the back of the room taking turns getting high scores. h

My all time favourite was Rome Total War. That came out just as I got a PC good enough to handle PC gaming and it all went from there.

But Company of Heroes was very enjoyable, but other than that I haven't really played any others, I do own Empire, Rome 2 and Atilla but I haven't really touched them since I just don't seem to be able to get into them anymore just due to time constraints.