would a college accept students with aspergers?

smeek14

Hi, I am a 17 year old senior in high school with high functioning aspergers.  I am looking at some colleges around my area which include UNT, Texas A/M Commerce, ACU, Austin College, etc.  I am writing about aspergers in one of my essays and I am worried that if they see it, they will decline me.  

I would like to say that most people can hardly tell I have it.  It used to be very severe but is now quite mild.  I would have no problem living on my own and would need little accommodation.

Thanks!!!

They might give you some handicaps, but they wouldn't decline you. The handicaps in a way are cool because they might give you more time on tests. If it doesn't show, then just act like you're 100% normal...

Spoiler

LTT's Fastest single core CineBench 11.5/15 score on air with i7-4790K on air

Main Rig

CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.3GHz 1.18v, Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S, Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth Mark 2, RAM: 16 GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1866MHz, GPU: EVGA 980Ti Classified @ 1507/1977MHz , Storage: 500GB 850 EVO, WD Cavier Black/Blue 1TB+1TB,  Power Supply: Corsair HX 750W, Case: Fractal Design r4 Black Pearl w/ Window, OS: Windows 10 Home 64bit

Plex Server WIP

CPU: i5-3570K, Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: ASrock, Ram: 16GB, GPU: Intel igpu, Storage: 120GB Kingston SSD, 6TB WD Red, Powersupply: Corsair TX 750W, Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-01 OS: Windows 10

Lenovo Legion Laptop

CPU: i7-7700HQ, RAM: 8GB, GPU: 1050Ti 4GB, Storage: 500GB Crucial MX500, OS: Windows 10

Hi, I am a 17 year old senior in high school with high functioning aspergers.  I am looking at some colleges around my area which include UNT, Texas A/M Commerce, ACU, Austin College, etc.  I am writing about aspergers in one of my essays and I am worried that if they see it, they will decline me.  

I would like to say that most people can hardly tell I have it.  It used to be very severe but is now quite mild.  I would have no problem living on my own and would need little accommodation.

Thanks!!!

A public school CAN NOT discriminate.  You'll be fine.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

It should not be the deciding factor of admission. However, if you are hanging around the average mark for GPA and/or extracurricular activities, it might count against you. 

Me: Computer Engineer. Geek. Nerd.

[Educational] Computer Architecture: Computer Memory Hierarchy

[Educational] Computer Architecture:  What is SSE/AVX? (SIMD)

It should not be the deciding factor of admission. However, if you are hanging around the average mark for GPA and/or extracurricular activities, it might count against you. 

My ACT is a 21 and my gpa is a 3.4.  I do have Eagle Scout on my resume as well as many leadership positions.

A public school CAN NOT discriminate.  You'll be fine.

I'm sure there's a difference between discrimination and simply not having the trained staff or facilities to handle people with disabilities (not necessarily talking about you here OP) 

Then again, I don't know, that's just me speaking from common sense, don't really know anything about aspergers. 

Thanks!!!

In theory it shouldn't be a factor, since it counts as discrimination. However, i don't think most universities will see aspergers as a liability, it has nothing to do with how you will perform academically and it's not a condition that may leave you temporarily disable (unlike me, i'm bipolar). Right now, you got a choice, you can be open about who you are, consider aspergers as nothing more than a single aspect of your personality, and you can even be a role model for people like you. You could hide it, but the question is, would you want to be in an university that would discrimate you if they knew? So, i say go ahead, be you, let your record, grades and talent speak for you and if you happen to face discrimination, which i find very unlikely, you can face it head on and not hide from it. Look Temple Grandin up, the fact she was autistic helped her revolutionize the farming industry, you don't have a disability, you have a way of perceiving and interacting with things and people that's not typical, but that can be an advantage, it's up to you. I truly hope no college is fucking stupid enough to not accept a potential student for being a little different, and if that happens, stay strong, i promise, so many places will have you, the ones that may not, they are not worth a thought.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Mate, some of my profs have autism. Don't worry about it. As long as you are actually capable of doing the study you like, all is well. Trying to hide your real self is pointless and usually makes the situation worse. Assume people will accept you as you are with all your talents and flaws and if they don't it's their problem, not yours, and you'll be happier because of it. This is not a license to not try and be mindful of others as can sometimes be difficult for people with this condition, but rather to not be upset if someone else describes it as being different from others.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Yea, it is nothing that will keep me from doing fine.  I'm just worried the colleges won't know that.

Yea, it is nothing that will keep me from doing fine.  I'm just worried the colleges won't know that.

Well, if a college behaves like that you don't need them. You should never need to hide who you are over the fear of prejudice, we are better than that.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

In theory it shouldn't be a factor, since it counts as discrimination. However, i don't think most universities will see aspergers as a liability, it has nothing to do with how you will perform academically and it's not a condition that may leave you temporarily disable (unlike me, i'm bipolar). Right now, you got a choice, you can be open about who you are, consider aspergers as nothing more than a single aspect of your personality, and you can even be a role model for people like you. You could hide it, but the question is, would you want to be in an university that would discrimate you if they knew? So, i say go ahead, be you, let your record, grades and talent speak for you and if you happen to face discrimination, which i find very unlikely, you can face it head on and not hide from it. Look Temple Grandin up, the fact she was autistic helped her revolutionize the farming industry, you don't have a disability, you have a way of perceiving and interacting with things and people that's not typical, but that can be an advantage, it's up to you. I truly hope no college is fucking stupid enough to not accept a potential student for being a little different, and if that happens, stay strong, i promise, so many places will have you, the ones that may not, they are not worth a thought.

Thanks man.  Made my day.  Yea I won't try to hide it.

You might get some Handicap support or might simply just look at you as a normal student. I know this senior in special education that got in to UCLA.

System: Thinkpad T460

My brother has Asperger's and he got accepted into Purdue University. I'm pretty sure they care more about your grades and performance in school than disabilities. You should be fine. :)

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Question for homework, does Aspergers actually exist?

Most Universities/colleges will fall over themselves to recruit/matriculate someone with "special needs" (lets not use the D word) so you should be fine.  If the Aspergers manifests itself as "just" some social awkwardness you will fit right in with all the other freshers .

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Thanks man.  Made my day.  Yea I won't try to hide it.

Awesome. Being bipolar i know how it feels that people will judge you for a label, but in the end, if they do, they are not worth it, and you'd be surprised how little most people care. :P

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

As long as you don't have a problem working in groups and being in busy environments, there shouldn't really be a problem.  I never could do that, I only really functioned well in small schools with a more individual approach.

Schools nowadays are much better at following up on people that are on the spectrum, so don't be afraid to tell them about your Asperger's and how it may affect things.  I'm guessing you've already figured out what problems/challenges you face in certain situations. 

Most schools and academies have a school psychologist.  If yours has one, talk to that person so he/she can tell the teachers whatever they need to know. 

I know it's a big step to discuss this with total strangers, but don't be afraid to take it.  It'll pay off in the long run.  No matter how you look at it, you are not like the others and teachers need to know why that is. 

One of my delivery drivers is a aspy and she goes to Uni of Houston. you will be fine specially being at the high functioning end of Asperger, I am probably more socially awkward and have a harder time communicating with people then you. Goodluck in college!

I have to agree that I don't see a public or private college not accepting you because of your Aspergers. When you write your essay, write from your heart and use your words to demonstrate how you've overcome your Aspergers, or how you've had to adapt to different situations because of it. You'll be fine, just cast a wide net and hope for the best. Good luck in college.