Will hyperthreading ever make a difference in gaming?

Games like Metal gear solid V the phantom pain recommend a 3770k I plan on getting skylake so would I get a significant difference from going with a 6700k than a 6600k both overclocked at 4.5ghz? If no do you think there will ever be a significant difference?

Yep.

Makes a pretty huge difference on i3 CPU's.

And maybe later on with DX12 better utilizing 6+ cores, yes.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Hyper-threading gives impact on gaming but not much.

If you want, get the i5 and use the save money for a better GPU.

EDIT:

Unless the game is CPU intensive, hyper-threading helps. But in most games, hyper-threading isn't used much.

Edited by DimasRMDO

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

It already can. It's just rarely seen because games are usually not highly multithreaded, and when they are they're usually so graphically intense that most people are limited by their GPU long before hyperthreading vs. non-hyperthreading comes into play anyway. Will it ever be the deciding factor between playable and unplayable? Unlikely, unless you're talking about a dual-core.

Does a hyperthreaded quad-core provide higher performance than a non-hyperthreaded one, if you specifically change the settings to reduce GPU load as much as possible? Yes. But usually we're talking about a 250fps vs 150fps kind of situation, by the time you see any difference they're both high enough that it doesn't matter.

Games like Metal gear solid V the phantom pain recommend a 3770k I plan on getting skylake so would I get a significant difference from going with a 6700k than a 6600k both overclocked at 4.5ghz? If no do you think there will ever be a significant difference?

I can make a difference its just not used very widely. some games are optimised for HT but only be a handful, its very hard to program for multiple cores let alone hyper-threading and since most CPUs / consoles do not have HT, its a lot of work to effect very few people

I would only go for the i7 if you are planning on doing heavy productivity or need the performance that it can bring

For gaming the i5 is still the smart choice for the foreseeable future

IF you have the money to blow, then get the i7 anyway

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It already does. i3 vs Pentium.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

I can make a difference its just not used very widely. some games are optimised for HT but only be a handful, its very hard to program for multiple cores let alone hyper-threading and since most CPUs / consoles do not have HT, its a lot of work to effect very few people

I would only go for the i7 if you are planning on doing heavy productivity or need the performance that it can bring

For gaming the i5 is still the smart choice for the foreseeable future

IF you have the money to blow, then get the i7 anyway

Very small to none productivity

Hyper-threading gives impact on gaming but not much.

If you want, get the i5 and use the save money for a better GPU.

Already getting a 980ti

In CPU intensive games, hyper-threading will help a lot. Look at TechPowerUp's comparison of the i5 and i7 in certain games.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Very small to none productivity

Already getting a 980ti

If you are getting a 980ti, just get the i7, that's what I would do, in games where HT matters there is no point potentially slowing down your 980ti

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

In CPU intensive games, hyper-threading will help a lot. Look at TechPowerUp's comparison of the i5 and i7 in certain games.

Only game where it made a big difference was BF3 i think BF4 uses a different engine can you list more benchmarks?

It already does if you play a game that supports all the extra threads. I personally have quite noticable performance gains and much higher minimum frame rates in games such as crysis 3 and battlefield 4. 

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

Gonna probably get an i5 6600k.

unless you already have a 980ti in the basket anyways, yes i would say so.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Gonna probably get an i5 6600k.

What is the price of the 6600k for you? Where I'm at the 6600k is 269$ And the i7 4790K is $279. So you might want to check on that. The 4790K is a beast CPU. You might as well go for that. No point getting an i5 when you can get an i7 for $10 more.

What is the price of the 6600k for you? Where I'm at the 6600k is 269$ And the i7 4790K is $279. So you might want to check on that. The 4790K is a beast CPU. You might as well go for that. No point getting an i5 when you can get an i7 for $10 more.

$250 also that's in microcenter only

Get a 6700K, it's worth:

Open your eyes and break your chains. Console peasantry is just a state of mind.

MSI 980Ti + Acer XB270HU 

Most AAA games now are parallelized well enough to split their load across all 8 threads of an i7-2600k. E.g., not have threads sitting at 5% load or something where they're effecitvely idle. Here is a roundup of CPU performance on AAA releases from 2014, with a bad English translation from Russian. lol

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&hl=en&u=http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

When considering i5 vs i7 I think it makes sense to look at the performance gain as a percentage of your budget. If you're spending $700-$1000 on a complete system, you're probably not building something powerful enough to expose the differences between the two CPUs for gaming, and that $100 difference between an i5 and an equivalent i7 is a huge chunk of your budget. Conversely, if you're building a $1500+ system, that price difference between the CPUs is a smaller fraction of your budget, and you might be building a system powerful enough to where the i7 can make an actual difference. It especially makes sense to go with the higher grade CPU when targeting 120 fps or more where you might see that 5-10% difference in framerate since you're likely to be CPU bound. If you throw vsync on and play at 60 fps that's different though, unless you're trying to max out shadows in which case the more powerful CPU is again helpful.

Most AAA games now are parallelized well enough to split their load across all 8 threads of an i7-2600k. E.g., not have threads sitting at 5% load or something where they're effecitvely idle. Here is a roundup of CPU performance on AAA releases from 2014, with a bad English translation from Russian. lol

https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&hl=en&u=http://gamegpu.ru/test-video-cards/igry-2014-goda-protiv-protsessorov-test-gpu.html

When considering i5 vs i7 I think it makes sense to look at the performance gain as a percentage of your budget. If you're spending $700-$1000 on a complete system, you're probably not building something powerful enough to expose the differences between the two CPUs for gaming, and that $100 difference between an i5 and an equivalent i7 is a huge chunk of your budget. Conversely, if you're building a $1500+ system, that price difference between the CPUs is a smaller fraction of your budget, and you might be building a system powerful enough to where the i7 can make an actual difference. It especially makes sense to go with the higher grade CPU when targeting 120 fps or more where you might see that 5-10% difference in framerate since you're likely to be CPU bound.

I guess so as an i5 seems out of place and z170 prices should go down. I'm getting a 980 ti might go sli down the road and 16gb of RAM an i5 will seem very out of place

Do you have a link to this?

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_4670K_and_i7_4770K_Comparison/8.html

They only tested three games so it's limited.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch