if you upgrade hardware w windows 10 you will have to buy it! :(

Maverick5500

If your in Australia just call the automated phone service. I've had to do this several times, once because the motherboard in my fathers prebuilt died, I could not get another motherboard that even fit let alone with the same CPU socket or from the same manufacturer. In the end I got a mini ITX and modified the case to make it fit.  The other because my son got so many viruses and malware on his lappy a format was the only suitable option.

Automated service does not ask for information. 

That's what I was asking. Here we've a free automated phone too, though I never used it for a new mb, only fresh installs.

This is a signature.

That's what I was asking. Here we've a free automated phone too, though I never used it for a new mb, only fresh installs.

When I say it does not ask for information, I should clarify that windows will give you a whole heap of numbers to enter into the phone and then they'll give you a whole heap to enter into windows, but they don't ask for mobo type or receipts or even why you are calling.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

When I say it does not ask for information, I should clarify that windows will give you a whole heap of numbers to enter into the phone and then they'll give you a whole heap to enter into windows, but they don't ask for mobo type or receipts or even why you are calling.

Yeah, those 9 (iirc) blank boxes to fill

This is a signature.

between the fact that I cant get the free upgrade because my windows 7 copy is apparently an upgrade version and and shit like that, pirating it seems to become a good solution. Here's a brilliant idea, Microsoft. Let consumers get your OS for free and charge  a price on pro copies.

between the fact that I cant get the free upgrade because my windows 7 copy is apparently an upgrade version and and shit like that, pirating it seems to become a good solution. Here's a brilliant idea, Microsoft. Let consumers get your OS for free and charge  a price on pro copies.

Why apparently, were you unaware that you upgraded, or did it come with the computer? If you bought it from a shop and they didn't tell you it's an upgrade then you have a right to be pissy, but not at MS, only at the shop, if you bought it privately then that's just the way the cookies crumbles. However if you knew it was an upgrade why are you getting upset and think that this somehow justifies piracy. 

It seems the age of entitlement is well and truly here.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Little question, What if the mb to be replaced is replaced with a different model? (for example because no stock) Of course it'd be a similar replacement, but a different model. How it's done then? A phone call or what? because then you'd trick it to use a new mb  :huh:

You'll then need to purcahse a new product key as the motherboard is no longer the same.

I wonder about the key in Window 10... I retrieved mine after upgrading from a retail 8 (with Magical Jelly Bean Key Finder). They key is different from my 8 key. When I clean installed, I typed it and it was accepted... Wonder if it's considered Retail 10.

It's generic. You can just skip the key abd it will work.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect,

So when you phone them up (if required[1] and you get a human[2]) to renew Windows tell them the old board broke and you replaced it (I couldn't get an exact copy so went for model X ) NOT that you upgraded to a new board..

NEVER EVER HAS PHONING MS NOT ELICITED A NEW KEY

[1]Officially you will need to re-activate on a MoBo change but quite often you can get away with changing the MoBo and not re-activating.  This is where a lot of the confusion comes from, people changing their MoBo and not having to re-activate so they think "nope you can change MoBo without re-activating" (something to do with the Windows key is not really tied to the MoBo but to the controller and if the controller is the same...).

[2] I have always reached an automatic system so have never had to talk to a "real" human.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

and how would they detect a different GPU or Ram? 

Trivial heaps of software can detect what RAM or GPU is inserted in your system.

When Windows keys first came on the scene that they were used along with reference values of all the hardware to produce (using some Woop-de-doo algorithm that was a MS secret)a working ID this led to LOTS of general gossip about how many items could be changed without affecting this working ID so much that Windows had to be re-activated..

So if the RAM was changed the working ID would change so MS "knew" something had been changed

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

I wonder what happened to my two Windows 7 Premium keys since I have upgraded, and one Windows 8.1 Pro key?

I have carried over those keys for years with in my systems, different mobos to be precise. And never encountered a problem with the keys being activated. 

I do kind of understand that you get to upgrade for free to windows 10 and it ties it to the current system, but what of my Win7/8 keys I used to upgrade to Win 10, are those now tied to the system as well? Meaning, hell I did have motherboards die in the past, would be shitty if I had to purchase a new win 7/8 key if the same motherboard was not available in local stores.

I've been an Insider for a while. I don't recall leaving. Yes i did clean install the WIn10, but apparently that also works.

That's my major gripe with this whole win10 install thing. They say that we should just upgrade. but that's known to have problems. I want to do a clean install from an ISO, but apparently i can't do that... 

Wrong version lol.... Insiders use the Pro Version.

Wrong version lol.... Insiders use the Pro Version.

Oh. Wow. That'd be it. 

It would be nice if Microsoft made this clear to us :). What if a bug slips past, because all the bug testers are using the pro version.

Your right though, derp!

I just installed Win10 on my MacBook White Mid 2010. I'm not going through hell again. If i have to pay 150 bucks, then so be it...

CPU: Intel I5-4690k (stock) Motherboard: Asus B85 Pro gamer RAM: 2x4 - GB Avexir kit (xmp is not enabled) GPU: XFX R9 280X DD Case: Coolermaster Storm Enforcer Storage: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, WD 250GB PSU: Thermaltake Smartpower 750w Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM Cooling: 200mm front intake, 200mm top exhaust, 200mm rear exhaust Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core Sound: Kingston HyperX Clouds and Logitech Speakers Operating System: Windows 10 64bit

If you've got questions, ask away.

I really haven't been able to find a solid answer to this I have been told both yes and no :

1)  I have a retail boxed copy of Window7 home and it is installed on my Macbook Pro in bootcamp

2)  Last week I upgraded it to Windows 10

3)  In a few days I will be building a gaming PC.  I want to :

i ) Wipe my bootcamp partition

ii)  Install the Windows 7 on my new PC.

iii) Use the Windows 10 upgrade tool to upgrade it to Windows 10 and activate automatically like it did before

Can I still do this ?

I was told by news articles and a Microsoft tech support guy before I upgraded in bootcamp that I could.  But I am now being told by a Microsoft tech support guy I can't.  However they seem not to understand english, let alone have detailed licensing knowledge (they referred to Microsoft as a 3rd party, they not we).  As tech support seems to be contracted out poorly there doesn't seem to be a way to get reliable information on this.

I really haven't been able to find a solid answer to this I have been told both yes and no :

1)  I have a retail boxed copy of Window7 home and it is installed on my Macbook Pro in bootcamp

2)  Last week I upgraded it to Windows 10

3)  In a few days I will be building a gaming PC.  I want to :

i ) Wipe my bootcamp partition

ii)  Install the Windows 7 on my new PC.

iii) Use the Windows 10 upgrade tool to upgrade it to Windows 10 and activate automatically like it did before

Can I still do this ?

I was told by news articles and a Microsoft tech support guy before I upgraded in bootcamp that I could.  But I am now being told by a Microsoft tech support guy I can't.  However they seem not to understand english, let alone have detailed licensing knowledge (they referred to Microsoft as a 3rd party, they not we).  As tech support seems to be contracted out poorly there doesn't seem to be a way to get reliable information on this.

What type of key is it? If it's OEI, then no you can't, you'll need a new product key. If it's retail, I can't recall if you can install 7 then upgrade or if you install 10 straight off. From what I can recall from the documentation I was sent, as the product key cannot be rolled back, you'll have to do an install of Windows 10.

What type of key is it? If it's OEI, then no you can't, you'll need a new product key. If it's retail, I can't recall if you can install 7 then upgrade or if you install 10 straight off. From what I can recall from the documentation I was sent, as the product key cannot be rolled back, you'll have to do an install of Windows 10.

It is a retail key.

I am not sure how a new install of Windows 10 would work as I don't have a Windows 10 licence key.  It just activated automatically after the upgrade from Windows 7.  I was thinking the Windows 7 then upgrade to 10 would be the link to my license.

If you could get an answer I'd really appreciate it.  Many thanks.

Like I mentioned in the comments on that post this is the official stance from Microsoft as per their OEI license conditions:

An end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. For this you can use an OEM/OEI license however you cannot buy them. An OEI license can only be sold to someone who is an OEM who will then onsell the system. You will need to purchase a retail license copy.

If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

If you've got questions, ask away.

so i upgraded from windows 8.1 (retail) to windows 10 does this mean i have a oem windows 10 now?

Returning after 8 years dormant

No. It is because you are not buying the right product.

No, I just think it's shit that such a licence exists.

It amazes me that people don't remember what the OEM is for.

But like everything these days, you give them a discount or way to achieve something cheaper for long enough and they'll start to demand it as right and expect all the bells and whistles without having to pay more.  They gave you win ten oem free, but oh no that's not good enough they must be "microshaft,  they must be greedy and just want to force us to all buy something we don't need" :rolleyes:

It amazes me that you will defend literally anything that Microsoft does. Whether it be an OS full of spyware or what is essentially a four year subscription to an OS.

It's really stupid. Hackers will hijack Windows 10 soon because of this. Im sick of paying for an operating system. Already paying for games ... already paying Internet bills and computer parts. OS now? meh.. I didn't expect this from Microsoft.

for example my point:

Free? so if I buy Windows 10 soon, for my so called "new PC" .. with that new MSI motherboard whatever .. or gigabyte one.. then buy another motherboard 2 years later.. I will have to buy Win10 again! outrageous.

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

It's really stupid. Hackers will hijack Windows 10 soon because of this. Im sick of paying for an operating system. Already paying for games ... already paying Internet bills and computer parts. OS now? meh.. I didn't expect this from Microsoft.

I guess you are also tired of buying food, cloths, smartphones, paying for smartphone service, electricity. Not to mentioned annoyed seeing ads.

Well, what can I say... Maybe things will change after World War 3, based on Star Trek universe, where money will no longer exists, after the discovery of alien race, and we simply work for better ourself.

In the mean time, people like to bring food on the table, and trading credits is the how the world economy works.

Welcome to Earth, you have to work to live.

for example my point:

Free? so if I buy Windows 10 soon, for my so called "new PC" .. with that new MSI motherboard whatever .. or gigabyte one.. then buy another motherboard 2 years later.. I will have to buy Win10 again! outrageous.

So then go buy the retail box of Windows. It's like 20$ more, or something, and you can change your computer as many times as you want.

Why apparently, were you unaware that you upgraded, or did it come with the computer? If you bought it from a shop and they didn't tell you it's an upgrade then you have a right to be pissy, but not at MS, only at the shop, if you bought it privately then that's just the way the cookies crumbles. However if you knew it was an upgrade why are you getting upset and think that this somehow justifies piracy. 

It seems the age of entitlement is well and truly here.

Staples put a convenient sticker on the box above the upgrade part.

I guess you are also tired of buying food, cloths, smartphones, paying for smartphone service, electricity. Not to mentioned annoyed seeing ads.

Well, what can I say... Maybe things will change after World War 3, based on Star Trek universe, where money will no longer exists, after the discovery of alien race, and we simply work for better ourself.

In the mean time, people like to bring food on the table, and trading credits is the how the world economy works.

Welcome to Earth, you have to work to live.

So then go buy the retail box of Windows. It's like 20$ more, or something, and you can change your computer as many times as you want.

Are you kidding me?

Ask me anything.

Are you kidding me?

That is my reaction to your post. Still questioning if that was a troll comment.

That is my reaction to your post. Still questioning if that was a troll comment.

I'm mainly talking about computer hardware. Not real life needs tbh. These parts are important too but you have to think about it closely, you are getting a new PC, bought Win10 a long time ago. or wait, bought Windows 7 or 8.1 cuz these don't have this retarded limitation and expect it to work with your new PC. But no if Microsoft decides that with Windows 10 there's a limitation .. then sir I will have to roll back to Windows 8.1 or find myself a crack.

As much as I love and admire Windows 10, I can't have something like this in my way. It's not fair. Unless again, Im reading it wrong and a "CD Key" will guarantee me a LIFETIME license.

Ask me anything.

so i upgraded from windows 8.1 (retail) to windows 10 does this mean i have a oem windows 10 now?

No - your key will still be a retail key.

It is a retail key.

I am not sure how a new install of Windows 10 would work as I don't have a Windows 10 licence key.  It just activated automatically after the upgrade from Windows 7.  I was thinking the Windows 7 then upgrade to 10 would be the link to my license.

If you could get an answer I'd really appreciate it.  Many thanks.

You'll use your existing product key