Firefox boss attacks Microsoft over the default browser settings in Windows 10

Arty

These people are such children. It's MS they have always made their browser default. It's also really f*cking easy to set your own browser of your choice to the default. Whats the problem.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

google is butthurt, posted less that an hour ago, otherwise why would they make this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsDWb0WpF4w

how is a video explaining how to change defaults on a new os, evidance than google is buthurt?....if this is the case linus must hate the tech world with all his vids

lol, yea just saw that.

i guess thats there indirect way of calling People dumb.

they are.  most people who use computers know very little about them. the problem is we know alot and to us this is all so basic.

I think Mozilla is just butthurt that their browser share has been tanking severely the past few years.

Which is a shame since its the only  browser with awesome extension support that doesn't mine the shit out of your data (Google Chrome).

But maybe that will change once Edge gets extension support. I plan to make Edge my primary browser once it gets support for LastPass.

2 things stoped me using edge....no last pass and bing, and both are them will be sorted soon well assuming the next update for windows 10 allows you to change the search engine.

only way edge is winning me over is, if it comes on andriod and ios

bookmark sync, and OPEN TAB sync, i use that so much in chrome.

open a website on my pc, click chrome on my ipod (click pc tabs) and the tab is there waiting.

i used to use chrome on ios but its shit..always crashing.

Windows 7 RC1 is more stable than this buggy os

what the hell microsoft

my dev preview is fine and nice on topic post

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

sorry im lost here as when i opened my firefox on windows 10 it said make defualt i clicked yes boom job done whats the problem are people moaning as there to lazy to click yes again?

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

and anyways i just set my edge browser up to be just liek chrome or firefox

when i type in adress bar it searches using google my bookmarks are all there from firefox bing is shit ye so just change ur edge search engine to google if you dont no how i can make a video its not that hard

the speed increase and new features edge has coupled with google search engine and firefox bookmarks makes it so far my new browser of choice

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Edge still has a lot of issues and boggles the mind why MS made it the default browser, against IE11

There are enough things wrong with Windows 10 that I'm not really bothered by the extra 10 seconds it takes to set a browser as default. If anything, it's nice to have all of the default apps in one place.

I agree that it takes an extra mouse click to set your default, and if you want to do it properly, you need to set it in Default Programs panel (for all file association in one shot click).

However like they have been trying to do since Windows 8, is to try and increase the security of this, as many times you have malware programs that changes file association, and you have legit software (obviously non popular), that steals all file association without asking. Now with this model, they are making it 1 step harder to change the default of Edge, and all other programs, which is a bit annoying. Before Windows 8, I didn't have to go to Defaults Program panel, after I installed all my software (say a clean install of Windows), and set everything the way I want.

So clearly Microsoft kill 2 birds with one stone with this current layout. Microsoft has been loosing market share to Chrome and Firefox for years also, so this way it makes it a bit more complicated for the average user to switch... might even give Edge a chance, and not just jump to Chrome or Firefox as they get their system, and increase security.

i dont get it so what was microsoft supposed to do? set firefox as the default browser? or have no browser at all so you cant even download firefox or chrome and you have to use a USB drive

Lol Literally the only thing I did with the default browser in ten (Edge? New internet explorer?) was download google chrome. 

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

I don't get the issue here.  It's not like you can't changed the default or have the option to grab a different browser right away.  Chrome was the very first thing I downloaded and installed on my laptop after my Win10 install.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

Chrome didn't even ask me to set it as default. it was already the default browser.

Butthurt Moozilla is butthurt

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

LOL anyone actually uses edge? silly.

A browser is not a browser if it does not contain a home button.And that silly font rendering in edge makes me puke.Firefox aint any better at font rendering either.

Chrome master race, heavy resource usage but worth it.

Did you update because it popped up and told you to or did you force it?

I tried both ways multiple times the windows itself is broken it has nothing to do with how you update it.Unless you dont have drivers for it then its really shit.

Its the new apps and windowing system that its unfinished and driver problems, this OS should have stayed in beta until october or so and fix all problems.

A browser is not a browser if it does not contain a home button.

You know that you can just enable the home button in advanced settings?

And btw the home button in chrome is also disabled by default.

It seems you are looking for reasons to hate Edge.

What I find it funny, is that Mozilla didn't say a single word during the entire time Windows 10 was in development and public beta, and NOW they say how displeased they are.

What I find it funny, is that Mozilla didn't say a single word during the entire time Windows 10 was in development and public beta, and NOW they say how displeased they are.

if feel the same way with Driver support.....

i dont get it so what was microsoft supposed to do? set firefox as the default browser? or have no browser at all so you cant even download firefox or chrome and you have to use a USB drive

They give you all kinds of options to configure the OS on the first boot.  It's easy enough to include a list of the common browsers and let the user choose. 

But hey, of course they're going to try to regain market share.  Just look at IE's graph :

post-139790-0-52878000-1438357519.jpg

Everyone who wants to use a different browser probably already knows how to change the default to their preferred one. What's the big deal?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

Ehh, I use Internet explorer still

I realised Edge was shit after I can't quote or edit on this forum.

Just quoted you while browsing LTT in Edge -_-

*edit: just edited from Edge -_-

*editedit: rekt xD

Edited by sqwidee

Git Gud.

Just quoted you while browsing LTT in Edge -_-

*edit: just edited from Edge -_-

*editedit: rekt xD

Wow, it doesn't work for me on eiither one of my computers :'( :'(

google is butthurt, posted less that an hour ago, otherwise why would they make this

Watched the whole video with popcorn in my hands, I was disappointed that there was not butthurt relation in this video AT ALL... just explaining how to put it default for those that doesn't know...  :angry: 

you-liar.gif

●CPU: i7-4790K w/H100i ●Mobo: MSI Z97 MPower ●RAM: Corsair 16GB Dominator ●GPU: EVGA ACX SC 780 3GB(X2) ●SSD: 850 Pro 256GB ●Case: 450D ●PSU: AX 860i ●Monitor: Asus PB278Q 1440p

Guys as I said, regardless of how stupid you think this is, there's legal precedent and fines for this already.

This is not the same. When you upgrade, it will ask you if you want to keep your current default browser, or if you'd like to change it to Edge. That's consumer choice, and allows users to keep their current browser. It's not Microsoft's fault if people click through settings without actually reading what they do.

I'm also assuming, since they released a Windows 10 Home N and Pro N version, that when installing a clean, fresh install of an N version, it will still offer you a choice of the major browsers, as it does in Windows 7 and 8.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Vis a Vis: let's just complain for now and wait until it's far too late to just patch it out before we actually pursue a legal case or denounce it authorities, even if we were 100% aware that this was going to happen.

On this I must agree with you: kinda like staying in front of a car and then complaining and suing the driver: yes he stills shouldn't run you over but I cannot be entirely sympathetic of someone who doesn't jumps out of the way just to get a lawsuit windfall.

-------

Current Rig

-------