Firefox boss attacks Microsoft over the default browser settings in Windows 10

Arty

This is not the same. When you upgrade, it will ask you if you want to keep your current default browser, or if you'd like to change it to Edge. That's consumer choice, and allows users to keep their current browser. It's not Microsoft's fault if people click through settings without actually reading what they do.

I'm also assuming, since they released a Windows 10 Home N and Pro N version, that when installing a clean, fresh install of an N version, it will still offer you a choice of the major browsers, as it does in Windows 7 and 8.

Those cases go back to preinstalled windows though not updates. So while no it wouldn't apply to updates I'm curious to know what happens on a fresh install or a preinstalled system.

-------

Current Rig

-------

Those cases go back to preinstalled windows though not updates. So while no it wouldn't apply to updates I'm curious to know what happens on a fresh install or a preinstalled system.

I assume it depends on the location. In EU, it should be the exact same as with previous versions.

In North America, and other places that don't have that particular law, you'll have Edge pre-installed as the default.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But maybe that will change once Edge gets extension support. I plan to make Edge my primary browser once it gets support for LastPass.

I have a few gripes with it, example not being able to put ONLY favicons in the favorites bar - you HAVE to add text, and that wastes precious space. Other than that, I'm waiting for uBlock & Pocket, and might fully switch when support arrives.

“I like being alone. I have control over my own shit. Therefore, in order to win me over, your presence has to feel better than my solitude. You're not competing with another person, you are competing with my comfort zones.”  - portfolio - twitter - instagram - youtube

I have a few gripes with it, example not being able to put ONLY favicons in the favorites bar - you HAVE to add text, and that wastes precious space. Other than that, I'm waiting for uBlock & Pocket, and might fully switch when support arrives.

You can't just leave the name field for it blank? :/

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I assume it depends on the location. In EU, it should be the exact same as with previous versions.

In North America, and other places that don't have that particular law, you'll have Edge pre-installed as the default.

Didn't the "N" versions cover just the anti-trust ruling against Windows Media Player?

There was another EU ruling about browser choice after that one. Which I think, iirc was issued as a Windows update to EU users. I remember being offered a choice of Browsers, randomly, despite having Firefox installed etc. Here's what it says on the MS website.

"Microsoft provided the Browser Choice update in accordance with a decision issued by the European Commission in December 2009. The obligations imposed by that decision have expired and as a result the Browser Choice Update will no longer be delivered to new users."

Ehh, I use Internet explorer still

I realised Edge was shit after I can't quote or edit on this forum.

You can, you just have to press the quote button twice.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Wow, it doesn't work for me on eiither one of my computers :'( :'(

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Git Gud.

The whole argument about making it less user friendly for changing default browser is total bullshit.

1: Google Chrome requests to be made the default browser when you open it and takes you right to the preferences menu in Windows 10 where you can change it.

2: Accessing this preferences menu is not hard. You can ask Cortana to do it or search for "default browser" in the search bar and the settings menu will pop up right away.

3: Literally all Firefox devs need to do to deal with the situation is write some code like that in Chrome so that it can request to be made the default browser and take users right to the settings menu.

Seems like they're upset over the fact that they need to write some code. Realistically the way you change default applications in Windows 10 is no more complicated that it was in 7/8.1.

Git Gud.

Edge for me is much faster. Just waiting for it get more features and extension support before I switch over from Chrome

Decided to edit this post using Edge. No need to double click or anything. Works as well as Chrome.

Command Center:

Case: Corsair 900D; PSU: Corsair AX1200i; Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition; CPU: i7-3970x; CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i; GPU: 2x ASUS DCII GTX780Ti OC; RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (8x8) 2133MHz CL9; Speaker: Logitech Z2300; HDD 1: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB; HDD 2: 2x Samsung 540 EVO 500GB (Raid 0); HDD 3: 2x Seagate Barracuda 3TB (Raid 0); Monitor 1: LG 42" LED TV; Monitor 2: BenQ XL2420TE; Headphones 1: Denon AH-D7000Headphones 2Audio-Technica AD1000PRMHeadphones 3Sennheiser Momentum Over-EarHeadsetSteelseries Siberia Elite; Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RBG; Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300; Other: Macbook Pro 15 Retina (Mid-2014), PlayStation 4, Nexus 7 32GB (2014), iPhone 6 64GB, Samsung Galaxy S6 64GB

I think Mozilla is just butthurt that their browser share has been tanking severely the past few years.

Which is a shame since its the only  browser with awesome extension support that doesn't mine the shit out of your data (Google Chrome).

But maybe that will change once Edge gets extension support. I plan to make Edge my primary browser once it gets support for LastPass.

Yeah I'm using Chrome on Windows 10 right now, but I LOVE Edge. The only problem is graphical glitches (my cursor randomly goes away) and extension support. Also Google needs some competition to make Chrome as fast as Edge. 

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

The whole argument about making it less user friendly for changing default browser is total bullshit.

1: Google Chrome requests to be made the default browser when you open it and takes you right to the preferences menu in Windows 10 where you can change it.

2: Accessing this preferences menu is not hard. You can ask Cortana to do it or search for "default browser" in the search bar and the settings menu will pop up right away.

3: Literally all Firefox devs need to do to deal with the situation is write some code like that in Chrome so that it can request to be made the default browser and take users right to the settings menu.

Seems like they're upset over the fact that they need to write some code. Realistically the way you change default applications in Windows 10 is no more complicated that it was in 7/8.1.

Firefox does that too, they are complaining about the fact users need to then select Firefox from a list. Same with Chrome.

And yes, it's a very minor issue. Especially for people like us. But we're not really talking about people like us, Firefox will be concerned about statistical adoption rates, and minor little things like this will play a slight part in that, I'm sure.

TL:DR

Firefox upset at MS for defaults

MS says they will fix.

you don't see google being all but hurt, (yet), they know whos loyal will stay.

personally  i don't like edge, but thats not the point here.

and people who complain about defaults being changed, it ask last night during install, would you like to change defaults yes or no. (yes to ms ones, no to keep) ihit no, obs, if you hit yes without reading, thats your problem.

Im only butthurt because cortona uses BING and you CANT change it! And i will always stay loyal to firefox because of the LTT addon.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

Now thinking this over, it seems to be a by-product of old bitterness between the two companies. Remember that Firefox is built under Mozilla, which was the direct child of Netscape. For those who don't know, Netscape (with Navigator) lost a battle with Microsoft's IE in the early world-wide web days, which ended up in a legal spaghetti.

Read the community standards; it's like a guide on how to not be a moron.

Gerdauf's Law: Each and every human being, without exception, is the direct carbon copy of the types of people that he/she bitterly opposes.

Remember, calling facts opinions does not ever make the facts opinions, no matter what nonsense you pull.

how is a video explaining how to change defaults on a new os, evidance than google is buthurt?....if this is the case linus must hate the tech world with all his vids

they are.  most people who use computers know very little about them. the problem is we know alot and to us this is all so basic.

2 things stoped me using edge....no last pass and bing, and both are them will be sorted soon well assuming the next update for windows 10 allows you to change the search engine.

i used to use chrome on ios but its shit..always crashing.

my dev preview is fine and nice on topic post

You can already change the default search engine. Just go to your search engine of choice then go to advanced settings, look for "search in the address bar with" and then add new. At that point you can add it and have it set as default.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Im only butthurt because cortona uses BING and you CANT change it! And i will always stay loyal to firefox because of the LTT addon.

There are now more Cortanas using Bing than there are humans using Bing xD

Git Gud.

well let's be honest Firefox and Chrome suck the only reason i still use them is because of the bookmark toolbar with all my shit . If you just upgrade nothing changes

fx-8350 @4,4Ghz/sapphire r9 fury/2x 8gb Kingstone ddr3 @2030Mhz

I was so pissed when I found out I can't use Bing with Google Now.... Why can't I change it! /s

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So wait, this is all over them removing the annoying "would you like to make this program the default for this type of file (etc)" prompt?

For once, I'm actually on MS's side. That prompt was annoying as hell, and it's not like I can't change things on my own.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

You can already change the default search engine. Just go to your search engine of choice then go to advanced settings, look for "search in the address bar with" and then add new. At that point you can add it and have it set as default.

well thats counter intuitive....i looked there before and thought you couldn't change it given all the options are greyed out thanks 

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

well thats counter intuitive....i looked there before and thought you couldn't change it given all the options are greyed out thanks 

No problem at all, and yeah it confused me as well at first.

My Build:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 4770k GPU: GTX 780 Direct CUII Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Hero SSD: 840 EVO 250GB HDD: 2xSeagate 2 TB PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Now thinking this over, it seems to be a by-product of old bitterness between the two companies. Remember that Firefox is built under Mozilla, which was the direct child of Netscape. For those who don't know, Netscape (with Navigator) lost a battle with Microsoft's IE in the early world-wide web days, which ended up in a legal spaghetti.

Yes, lost because of very shady business practices which were so bad Microsoft were almost forced to split into 2 companies.

Since Microsoft used illegal means to crush a competitor before, Mozilla is worried they might do it again.

"Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it"

As for everyone going "it's just 10 seconds to change it", even small steps to make things more inconvenient is a bad thing. The list of "it's just 10 seconds to change it" has grown so long it will take me a really long time to fix all the bullshit, and it will have to be fixed on all computers I use.

So wait, this is all over them removing the annoying "would you like to make this program the default for this type of file (etc)" prompt?

For once, I'm actually on MS's side. That prompt was annoying as hell, and it's not like I can't change things on my own.

No that promt is still there. What they changed was that now when a program asks if you want it as the default program and you press yes, you get thrown into the settings app where you get a list of all your standard programs (such as video player etc), then you have to scroll to the specific thing you want to change (in this case web browser), press the Edge icon and then choose from a list of all the web browsers you got installed.

This is what it looks like:

post-216-0-75437000-1438380204_thumb.png

legit during install.

it asked keep your personal choices or not. 

dont blame MS if you choose not to read and just spam next.

legit during install.

Of course that only works if you upgrade, not if you go for a clean install.  Anyone who's familiar with Microsoft's upgrade process will do an upgrade to get the new product key, then immediately wipe the SSD and do a clean install.

legit during install.

I have no idea how that's related to anything I said in my post.

Let's be honest, people who use Firefox either know how to set it as default or (like my mom does) have the icon somewhere visible or searches for it in the start menu (not that hard people) and when they open it it will suggest to become the default browser. Problem solved. The thing is, non-tech savy people will just close Edge cause they don't know the UI (I guarantee that 100%) and will just search for whatever they used before. 

Mozilla needs to stop worrying about stupid things like this and actually make their browser usable and fast. They're not losing marketshare because MS or Google are cheating (well, not only :P), but because they now, unfortunately, have an inferior browser.