Convincing my parents

Nicholas15

Sorry, but if i recall you said

so actually, it was a good try, wasnt it

Neither was yours. You literally proved my point. You want them to give you even MORE money than what I originally said; proving not only my point, but also that you think you deserve tons of money from your parents when you're not even willing to tell them exactly what you're buying and why it's those parts.

Look son, you don't buy a Ferrari for your first car. Or your second car. Actually, don't buy a Ferrari.

Where was I going with this? Oh, right, decision making. Dude, you gotta look at this analytically. You want something, and you need something. You want a kick-ass future-proof gaming rig. You need something to complete your school work on so you can get a kick-ass future-proof job that can then pay for whatever overkill rig you want.

List your wants and needs and try to be as detached as possible. You don't need to reply here, maybe just draw up a list on a legal pad or something.

If you want to upgrade down the road, that's great! I plan that way when I build computers too. But let's be a little cautious here. Maybe plan on upgrading your storage at a later date and save some cash. Maybe save up for a badass monitor, or other peripherals. Consider what would be the most costly/disruptive to upgrade later and make those good now. That can vary from case to case (speaking of cases...there's a place you could save some cash but not worth it in my opinion). Personally, I try to get a motherboard and CPU that will last me a while, then I find a graphics card that will suit my needs. After that, it's all pretty easy to upgrade. You can go with 8GB of RAM now and then throw in 32GB next year! You can start with a single 500GB SSD, then add in a mass storage drive next year. You get me? You can still get a kickass rig without too much compromise in the end by waiting.

You were right to say earlier that we do not know what you deserve. We do not. We also don't need to know what kind of money your parents make so maybe them dropping so much money on your hobby isn't a big deal. But what I feel the majority of the people here are trying to say is that it looks as if you just went and picked all the best parts and put them together. That's great and all, but very few people actually build computers like that. And usually those people save up for a while and work hard for that money. So, take away from what everyone is saying: we believe you can get more for less.

edit: oh and if you want my opinion, which I think I've already begun to give...so here's some more of it. I think you should upgrade the computer you have until you get to college/start working.

-snip-

nope, not euros but british pounds, 1600£ equals 2244€ so in CAD it would be around 3250 :/

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

What happened to the massive price rise? Look at the bottom, the price graph irritates me, I could have got this for like £400 cheaper

The 980Ti got launched on June 1st, so before that it didn't have a price.

Also happens when a component is not listed, as in has no price. If it's listed again, the total price will go up again.

Actually no, thats converting the wrong way. 

I can't believe how entitled you are. You seriously expect your parents to pay that much for your computer? You even admitted that your parents don't have a ton of money right now, which brings this to a whole new level. You have £600, so that means you seriously expect for your parents to give you £1000 for your computer? You also said you want a 4k monitor, which is making them pay another £500. You're suggesting that they don't know that its really for gaming. Do you really think lying to your parents to get money is ok? You say that the computer you want to build could last 5-10 years, but also talk about doing major upgrades in 2-3. You also seem to be denying that everybody is saying that you don't need this. You can get a decent 1080p computer for around £600. If you really want to build a computer, don't be unreasonable with your parents. If you want a build better than the one I listed, then you can work for it. You may be thinking that you can't do any work. Just stop, I am also 15, and I had to spend close to two whole years of saving and planning until I could buy a new computer. I did a lot of yard-work as my primary source of income. I didn't spend a penny of my parents' money, and I still got a very good computer. Now you should either start working for something better or accept a cheaper computer, and stop asking how to get your parents' money.

Expect* yes I know, Ive talked it over with them and they always say "we'll see" I just need to tip them off the edge, I would love to buy it myself but, again, im 15

I've got an idea! Stop expecting your parents to give you everything and get a job!

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

I don't know anyone who has a rig like that completely paid for by their parents.. I would say for your parents to contribute to a PC that is mainly for gaming (come on you aren't in college doing hardcore workloads your PC isn't mainly for school) $900 is a generous contribution and $1000 is seriously pushing it.

I think you know it, and everyone in this thread certainly does, you aren't doing serious school workloads with this computer. You can slip through basically every high school class on a low-mid PC. Using the school-pitch for PC funding is complete and udder BS unless you go into a college course that needs it, in which case ask then because you will get much better for your money then rather than now.

Right now, you want (NOT NEED) this PC for really typing stuff and doing homework. Maybe render a few projects on a rare basis. A mid range, $700-800 (probably £500-600) can get you through your 1080p gaming on medium-high settings just fine and you can do your (very basic) school work on it as well.

I don't think 4K should even be in the picture for you. 4K is an extreme luxury and I am against anyone having it at the stage it's at unless they have a real job and earned it themselves.

I think it's makes you look very spoiled to expect your parents to drop £1000 so you can game at 4K and you should be ashamed for even pitching it as a school rig at all - you don't need serious hardware for school until you get to college classes like I said. It sounds like a desperate attempt to sway your parents, and it IS lying. I hope they don't drop the cash for that £1600 rig.

*sigh* 4K isn't just for gaming guys, doing work such as CAD or graphics manipulation (Photoshop/GIMP and the like) benefit a LOT from going up to 4K. In fact..

They dont know its optimised for gaming :P I also want to go and do something with mechanical architecture, Im in high school and already slightly does university level CAD for my classes, or something with PCs like server maintenance or maybe even help create the components that we all use! :D

Going 4K for doing CAD work at home makes sense since he's already doing such work at school.

Heck, my Beast Rig is OP for 99% of games at 1080p and pushes 1440p & 4K decently over DSR, but I also use it for video recording/editing/rendering and running stuff like F@H when it's otherwise idling when I'm outside the house.

holy fuckballs that's a killer PC for a 15 year old

I hate when every one brings age into it if he is responsible and makes the necessary cash whats the problem with the build for a 15 year old

Okay, So Im 15 now and I have had the same PC for 3 years, its not bad, but its not good in anyway, How could I convince my parents to get me a PC, I built one on pcpartpicker and it came too £1600 but I ca probably get it cheaper, Any help?

Heres my Pc build http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Qk3jMp

And If you think I could slice some pounds off by getting a cheaper ssd, hdd, ram, psu, ect

lol you have a 4k monitor or something... cause I'm 99% sure that 980ti is overkill...

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… You will come to a better place”

I hate when every one brings age into it if he is responsible and makes the necessary cash whats the problem with the build for a 15 year old

The thing is he doesn't make the money, he wants to lie to his parents to get them to give it to him.

Main PC: 4690k, LMG Edition G1 Gaming GTX 980, 16GB Hyper X Fury, Asus Z97-A, EVGA G2 850W, Crucial MX100 128GB, WD Red 1TB 2.5", Dark Rock 3

Laptop: Asus UX305 Monitor: Asus PB278Q Keyboard: Filco Majestouch 2 TKL Mouse: Corsair M65

1) Get a job

2) Be a pimp

3) Rob a bank like Payday 2

4) Sell drugs

5) Get all A's in school, pass all the test, be a good boy in school. Hopefully they will buy you a computer on your birthday or XMAS!.

The thing is he doesn't make the money, he wants to lie to his parents to get them to give it to him.

Ok then that's a different story from the look of the comment I replied to the person was making a generalization about all 15 year olds

"Sometimes life is like this dark tunnel. You can’t always see the light at the end of the tunnel, but if you just keep moving… You will come to a better place”

Ok then that's a different story from the look of the comment I replied to the person was making a generalization about all 15 year olds

Yeah. I'm around there and I've got a pretty decent pc. I worked hundreds of hours to get mine, though.

Yeah. I'm around there and I've got a pretty decent pc. I worked hundreds of hours to get mine, though.

Sorry,but if you read all the comments I said I would tell them, your also not being very helpful to what I was asking, you dont need to tell me anyhting, also, we arnt tight for cash thank you, So leave  this thread please

You dont know what I do so stfu, you ant welcome in my thread

I hate to reiterate what everyone here is saying; however, it is solid advice.  Either cannibalize your old rig and just get midrange parts you need (core i5, 850evo, hyper 212, etc) and then save that money and add what you want when you have the money saved up.  You could literally get away w/ an intel nuc for school.  You do not need a 980ti for CAD.  Sorry.  Furthermore, if you were really serious about CAD you'd go w/ a quadro or a firepro anyway.  4k?  Yah that's nice and everything but mostly unnecessary.  The reality of it is, you're asking for help convincing your parents to spend a crapton of money on a new rig which is complete overkill, expecting it to last 10 years (news flash, nothing that was high-end 10 years ago even competes these days), and generally just trying too hard to justify spending way more than you need to.  Better to save all that money and just upgrade parts along the way.  If you had a 980 now and you added another 980 in 2 years you'd still be able to play most everything on at least high by then.  Toss in some more ram in a year or 2.  That's a cheap upgrade.  Add another SSD or better yet go w/ m.2.  

Edit:  And now it looks like you're being incredibly defensive and very unappreciative.  Well.  Do what you want man.  Good luck w/ convincing the parents.  Doubt anyone is going to give you solid advice on that part when you're clearly just not listening.

I hate to reiterate what everyone here is saying; however, it is solid advice.  Either cannibalize your old rig and just get midrange parts you need (core i5, 850evo, hyper 212, etc) and then save that money and add what you want when you have the money saved up.  You could literally get away w/ an intel nuc for school.  You do not need a 980ti for CAD.  Sorry.  Furthermore, if you were really serious about CAD you'd go w/ a quadro or a firepro anyway.  4k?  Yah that's nice and everything but mostly unnecessary.  The reality of it is, you're asking for help convincing your parents to spend a crapton of money on a new rig which is complete overkill, expecting it to last 10 years (news flash, nothing that was high-end 10 years ago even competes these days), and generally just trying too hard to justify spending way more than you need to.  Better to save all that money and just upgrade parts along the way.  If you had a 980 now and you added another 980 in 2 years you'd still be able to play most everything on at least high by then.  Toss in some more ram in a year or 2.  That's a cheap upgrade.  Add another SSD or better yet go w/ m.2.  

Edit:  And now it looks like you're being incredibly defensive and very unappreciative.  Well.  Do what you want man.  Good luck w/ convincing the parents.  Doubt anyone is going to give you solid advice on that part when you're clearly just not listening.

Ive listened to everyones comments, I cant work, No-one is hiring, I was just asking everyone, I was being appreciative untill everyone started telling me what I can do, I can do what I want, I appreciate everyone who has gave their opinion, but some people are plain out being mean, rude and irritating.

Hi Nicholas, here are two suggested builds that I think are much better value, still with your preferred motherboard and case, still with a TB of flash and a 3TB hard disk, and still black and red (except for the SLI cards, where blowers are a better idea).

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/87h8cf is about £1120, and http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Zw6d7P about £1385. The latter should give frame rates at least as good as those of your build.

George

may I add, my current PC my dad bought for £1200 and its shit for the  price now, Im really angry at some of these posts, I know its overkill, I know i shouldnt lie(which I wont), I know that most of these posts are against it because Im not paying but its the best I can do, Im reconcidering this all

Hi Nicholas, here are two suggested builds that I think are much better value, still with your preferred motherboard and case, still with a TB of flash and a 3TB hard disk, and still black and red (except for the SLI cards, where blowers are a better idea).

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/87h8cf is about £1120, and http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Zw6d7P about £1385. In games, the latter should give frame rates at least as good as those of your build.

George

Thank you so much George, I really appreciate this, these are really good and I think Ill stick to something more like these, thanks again

Nicholas

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/87h8cf is about £1120, and http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Zw6d7P about £1385. The latter should give frame rates at least as good as those of your build.

George

I think Ill go with this http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qvfjMp

my easy answer would be get a job. 

But if you're a sneaky pleb, you could go on about pursuing a career in IT and how this computer would help you accomplish that. 

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

Three years ago was the Sandy-bridge era, which shouldn't be all that bad even now. Can you post the build of your current desktop?

I agree that something midrange would be nice, less than 1200 euros.

my easy answer would be get a job. 

But if you're a sneaky pleb, you could go on about pursuing a career in IT and how this computer would help you accomplish that. 

Define "pleb" xD