Convincing my parents

Nicholas15

YES! Show them this!

How? should I tell them that if this little girl can build a Pc then I can?

Why not just reuse those and save yourself the hastle of selling them? Maybe just plastidip the heat spreader red to match the build

Yeah, but this ram i think is having slight issues, it sometimes says its using 100% of it just when idle, so Id rather get some new ram

A pc for gaming can't last 10 years,  :huh:

Yeah I  know, Im going to be changing it aroung, by the 6 year mark, the PC might need a complete re-vamp

Yeah, but this ram i think is having slight issues, it sometimes says its using 100% of it just when idle, so Id rather get some new ram

Ram issues are generally just blue screens, or the pc not booting, so that seems like more of an os issue. Either way, it might be reasonable to sell the ram for about half of what you got it for

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

Id just shave down the price, thats probably whats most concerning them tbh

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£161.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i GTX 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  (£92.52 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  (£99.98 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Red 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory  (£72.98 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£131.95 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£39.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card  (£399.98 @ Amazon UK)
Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: £1088.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-27 21:33 BST+0100

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Options:

Option 1:

1. Convince them you need it to further your career choice, whatever that may be. Or school work studies.

2. Actually use it to do so.

3. Be damn grateful.

Option 2:

If they aren't cool with the cost, ask people here to shave it down to something they are comfortable with.

Option 3:

Go halfsies with them on it

Option 4:

1. Save Your Money

2. Hope they allow you to drop a shitload of money on one thing, because you still are under their roof

What not to do:

-Lie

-Be ungrateful afterwards

-Take advantage of the fact that they (probably) don't know a lot about tech

this

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

here try these parts, 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DvcPkL

I switched the cpu to a 4960k, you dont need 8 cores to game, or for other heavy single threaded operations (which is most of the time) removed one of the SSD's, you can add another for a RAID array latter. Also changed HDD to 2 TB because you can always add another for yet another RAID and one more TB than you had originally. finally I changed your RAM to a 2x4GB kit at 1600 MHz, this way you can buy an additional kit for your motherboard later to fill all RAM slots (which looks better) and better timings at lower MHz is best for a higher stable overclock which matters more than having 2400 MHz RAM.

First try to find some job for which you need that kind pc. You will spend a lot money just for gaming, like i did and now 2 years later i regret it, because now im using it only for chrome ( total spend around 2000euro). Also in my country parts are like 20-30% more expensive. 

here try these parts, 

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/DvcPkL

I switched the cpu to a 4960k, you dont need 8 cores to game, or for other heavy single threaded operations (which is most of the time) removed one of the SSD's, you can add another for a RAID array latter. Also changed HDD to 2 TB because you can always add another for yet another RAID and one more TB than you had originally. finally I changed your RAM to a 2x4GB kit at 1600 MHz, this way you can buy an additional kit for your motherboard later to fill all RAM slots (which looks better) and better timings at lower MHz is best for a higher stable overclock which matters more than having 2400 MHz RAM.

What happened to the massive price rise? Look at the bottom, the price graph irritates me, I could have got this for like £400 cheaper

First try to find some job for which you need that kind pc. You will spend a lot money just for gaming, like i did and now 2 years later i regret it, because now im using it only for chrome ( total spend around 2000euro). Also in my country parts are like 20-30% more expensive. 

yeah

Okay this is the advice I have to offer - coming from a privileged Canadian boy where things are not very cheap - 

If you want a computer that expensive (1600 doesn't look like a lot folks, but we're talking euros here so about $2300.00 CAD) then I personally think that you should take some responsibility for the price. The first thing I sniffed out when I looked at your parts list was *ahem* OVERKILL!!!! I understand you want it to be future proof, but there's still a difference between future proof and overkill. I'm assuming you'll be using this machine for word processing, and judging from your choice of graphics card, 4K gaming (so lets add another $1000.00 CAD for the 4K monitor). If you are not 4K gaming, pick a more sensible graphics solution. The 980 Ti is a beast but realism is a factor to be considered when money is an issue. Next up, the ram. There are numerous videos online about RAM speed and quality and how it effects performance. It comes down to this: It doesn't. You don't need expensive ram! Throw some red hyper-X fury sticks in there and move on. Lets look at the processor... Hyperthreading is a nice feature.. truly it is.. however it won't be put to work in gaming nor word processing. Maybe the i5 is slightly more sensible. Moving on. Are you going to raid those two SSDs? Don't. Money is an issue here so uh lets not take advantage of your parents ignorance regarding technology. My machine boots on a single Samsung 840 EVO in 15 seconds. What more can you ask for? Samsung SSDs are really fast with that rapid mode of theirs that uses DRAM as extra cache. Ingenious!  Keep one SSD and the mass storage drive, but unless you're booting on the mass storage (which I hope you aren't you have an ssd) downgrade that to a WD blue. You just don't need that speed. Cooling? Hah. Nope. Just get what every other teenager with a gaming PC is getting and go for the Hyper 212 EVO from coolermaster. Especially if you're downgrading for an i5 (which you should). Case? I like it its a great case. Power supply? Never cheap out on those. Good job. You might want a little more voltage to add head room for overclocking, since you chose an unlocked processor. 

Sorry for being so adamant.. I just want you to realize that it comes down to the difference between want and need. With those downgrades, you will still be future proofed. 

You can look at my AMD system on my profile. It was cheap, and can handle GTA on high. I guess it just makes my room really hot. But AMD is a good money saving solution. 

Good luck my friend. 

I really want to build an oil-immersed PC  ^_^

What happened to the massive price rise? Look at the bottom, the price graph irritates me, I could have got this for like £400 cheaper

june is when the 980ti was released hence the price jump

Okay this is the advice I have to offer - coming from a privileged Canadian boy where things are not very cheap - 

If you want a computer that expensive (1600 doesn't look like a lot folks, but we're talking euros here so about $2300.00 CAD) then I personally think that you should take some responsibility for the price. The first thing I sniffed out when I looked at your parts list was *ahem* OVERKILL!!!! I understand you want it to be future proof, but there's still a difference between future proof and overkill. I'm assuming you'll be using this machine for word processing, and judging from your choice of graphics card, 4K gaming (so lets add another $1000.00 CAD for the 4K monitor). If you are not 4K gaming, pick a more sensible graphics solution. The 980 Ti is a beast but realism is a factor to be considered when money is an issue. Next up, the ram. There are numerous videos online about RAM speed and quality and how it effects performance. It comes down to this: It doesn't. You don't need expensive ram! Throw some red hyper-X fury sticks in there and move on. Lets look at the processor... Hyperthreading is a nice feature.. truly it is.. however it won't be put to work in gaming nor word processing. Maybe the i5 is slightly more sensible. Moving on. Are you going to raid those two SSDs? Don't. Money is an issue here so uh lets not take advantage of your parents ignorance regarding technology. My machine boots on a single Samsung 840 EVO in 15 seconds. What more can you ask for? Samsung SSDs are really fast with that rapid mode of theirs that uses DRAM as extra cache. Ingenious!  Keep one SSD and the mass storage drive, but unless you're booting on the mass storage (which I hope you aren't you have an ssd) downgrade that to a WD blue. You just don't need that speed. Cooling? Hah. Nope. Just get what every other teenager with a gaming PC is getting and go for the Hyper 212 EVO from coolermaster. Especially if you're downgrading for an i5 (which you should). Case? I like it its a great case. Power supply? Never cheap out on those. Good job. You might want a little more voltage to add head room for overclocking, since you chose an unlocked processor. 

Sorry for being so adamant.. I just want you to realize that it comes down to the difference between want and need. With those downgrades, you will still be future proofed. 

You can look at my AMD system on my profile. It was cheap, and can handle GTA on high. I guess it just makes my room really hot. But AMD is a good money saving solution. 

Good luck my friend. 

Thanks for all the great advice, Ill rebuild my rig, can I dm you the PC parts picker?

june is when the 980ti was released hence the price jump

Ahh, thought it might have been

I in no way said it was JUST for gaming, about 60% of its use will be gaming

Then you don't really deserve them to drop you $1000. Maybe $400.

Thanks for all the great advice, Ill rebuild my rig, can I dm you the PC parts picker?

Absolutely!

I really want to build an oil-immersed PC  ^_^

Okay I appreciate the reply, but you have no idea what i "deserve" or not

Okay I appreciate the reply, but you have no idea what i "deserve" or not

Evidently, I do. You gave enough for me, and anyone else really, to assume that you're essentially going to lie to them and ask for $1000 for 'school.' Games are not school.

Why would I lie to them? did I say I would lie to them? Im going to tell them it will be made for gaming, but its not just able to game, it can do everything else I need for school atm

Evidently, I do. You gave enough for me, and anyone else really, to assume that you're essentially going to lie to them and ask for $1000 for 'school.' Games are not school.

Also, its not USD it british pounds so maybe like £1000 is like $650

Yeah. Good try.

view.png

Sorry, but if i recall you said

so actually, it was a good try, wasnt it

That's when the 980 ti was released.