Tech Confession Time!

rustikles

I was young, and stupid.  I used to play with Tamiya cars.  Thought, hey, batteries are pretty darn expensive where can I get cheap power.  Took 2 pieces of wire, attached it to the + and - ends of the motor and stuck it in a socket.  Fuckin thing exploded and the flashbang gave me serious flash bang eye syndrome for 5 or so minutes.  The burn mark is still on my room tile.

FA-130.jpg

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

That dude who snapped his 980 ti in half lol

uuuuuuuu. UUUUUUUUUUUUUU! 

4 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

I was young, and stupid.  I used to play with Tamiya cars.  Thought, hey, batteries are pretty darn expensive where can I get cheap power.  Took 2 pieces of wire, attached it to the + and - ends of the motor and stuck it in a socket.  Fuckin thing exploded and the flashbang gave me serious flash bang eye syndrome for 5 or so minutes.  The burn mark is still on my room tile.

FA-130.jpg

I DID THIS TOO.

My parents were in the kitchen while it happened in the living room. Suprisingly they did not notice and I just washed my charcoal colored hands.

Accidentally wrenched my PCIe card out with force, breaking the slot locking mechanism.

Dragged a cable too far and broke it.

Probably lots of other stuff that I was being careless with when building my first PC.

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Destroyed pins on the back of my i7 3770k while trying to delid it with the "vice" method  Thought i had lost it for good .

Luckily , with a soldering iron and switching memory slots , i got it working.

ended up delidding it with a razor instead ( i never learn )

IMG_20160102_014128.thumb.jpg.89db233f01

Edit: also , my case/psu choice

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

1 minute ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Destroyed pins on the back of my i7 3770k while trying to delid it with the "vice" method  Thought i had lost it for good .

Luckily , with a soldering iron and switching memory slots , i got it working.

ended up delidding it with a razor instead ( i never learn )

How do you fix it with a soldering iron? :D

Isn't this stuff extremely precise and all?

||| Drakon (Desktop Build) |||

|| CPU: 3800X || Cooler: Kraken X63 || Motherboard: B450 Aorus M || Memory: HyperX DDR4-3200MHz 16G ||

|| Storage: 512GB 970 Pro + 500GB 850 EVO + 250GB 850 EVO + 1TB HDD + 2TB HDD || Graphics Card: RX 5700 XT Red Devil || Case: Thermaltake Core V21 || PSU: XFX XTR 750W 80+Gold || 

Just now, Aleksbgbg said:

How do you fix it with a soldering iron? :D

Isn't this stuff extremely precise and all?

Just put a drop of solder where the pin was destroyed . Luckily , only like 2 or three were destroyed .

still lost dual channel capability though .

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

Back in the old days, I had my first shot at delidding processors. I bought a high end CPU (some Pentium 4 I guess) and tried delidding it with a razor blade. But apparently I slashed the die. I didn't notice. So I put my rig back together and tried turning it on. Loud bang. This thing had fried my motherboard, power supply and graphics card. And I had to buy a new fuse for my home. 

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

i once tried replacing the thermal compound on an hd 4870 a long time ago, i cheaped out and used some shitty $1 stuff, ended up frying it

1 minute ago, Lolucoca said:

Back in the old days, I had my first shot at delidding processors. I bought a high end CPU (some Pentium 4 I guess) and tried delidding it with a razor blade. But apparently I slashed the die. I didn't notice. So I put my rig back together and tried turning it on. Loud bang. This thing had fried my motherboard, power supply and graphics card. And I had to buy a new fuse for my home. 

Jesus Christ, that could happen? I can see slashing the die, but all that collateral?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Shipping my desktop over the Atlantic ocean, when the screws holding the rad in place are smaller the holes on the case...

I had a mini heart attack when i opened the box and saw this...

IMAG1463.jpg

IMAG1464.jpg

IMAG1468.jpg

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

@Dash Lambda Could've happened because I shorted out some power-delivery parts of the CPU :D Also, It was like the sketchiest PSU ever, so I was happy it didn't catch on fire :D Apparently this CPU had sent a surge through the Northbridge and into the PSU :D

2 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

@Dash Lambda Could've happened because I shorted out some power-delivery parts of the CPU :D Also, It was like the sketchiest PSU ever, so I was happy it didn't catch on fire :D Apparently this CPU had sent a surge through the Northbridge and into the PSU :D

Damn, what GPU was it?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

@Dash Lambda It was a Radeon 8500 with 128MB of RAM... It was a pretty high end rig back then... I shouldn't have cheaped out on the PSU though :D

I think my biggest screw up was buying a Alienware m14xR2 for $1200 at years end, next week the new models came out. Then my laptop starting crapping itself 3 weeks into it and caught on fire 4 times so far in the past 4 years. Still somehow works and damage looks minimal (other than when I open the back piece and look at the back of it then its pretty messed up).

My 2nd biggest screw up was in 2014 when I decided to get a GT 740 as my GPU instead of a GTX 770 or 780(ti) type with a $2500 budget.

My 3rd biggest screw up is letting a company try to "fix" my main PC I built in july of 2015 (my current PC) and then made everything much worse.

• 4 months later...

The first PC I built can turn on, but never shows a display, I still keep that computer in the corner of my room to remind me of my failure everyday. (Also, I don't do cable management.)

I cheaped out on my PSU, bought a fairly no-name one. So far it's working just fine.

I buy stuff on impulse (and ended up using the awful Razer Lycosa Mirror for over a year because it was cheap and I was buying it off of a friend)

I bought mice on impulse as well: Steelseries Diablo 3 (which turned out to be a good choice) and a Steelseries WoW Wireless blah blah blah one which has issues with its left switch (also can't find replacement feet and I no longer play WoW so the buttload of keys on it are redundant. I use it as a bed mouse alongside an awful Zalman mechanical keyboard).

I'm kind of a hoarder when it comes to spare parts. I keep mostly everything, even if it's severely outdated or ever broken.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

1 minute ago, Scatoogle said:

I mounted my motherboard with only 2 screws

So you like to live dangerously *austinpowers

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600k 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z270F Gaming | Cooler: Cryorig H7 | RAM: GSkill Ripjaws V 8GB 2x4 3200 MHz | GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | PSU: Seasonic G-550w 80+ Gold Certified, Semi Modular | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue | Case: NZXT S340 Elite (Black/Red) | Monitor: BenQ XL2411 144hz | Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Cherry MX Silent | Mouse: Corsair M65 Pro RGB

I'd like to make a Chemistry joke, but all the good ones ARGON. *nudgenudge *winkwink

I use a Xbox One controller for driving in games.

I use a membrane keyboard whenever i'm not gaming.

I almost bought Windows 8.1 for my first PC but I got Windows 7 instead cos friends recommended it.

I like the form factor of the Xbox One (but it just needs moar powahhhhhh!!!!!!!).

I bought a phone with 1GB RAM and 8GB storage..............

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Spoiler

I have an old Toshiba gaming monitor old enough that it uses 1024x768 resolution

And It's TFT but I still adore using it.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.