AMD HBM Supply Problem Might Be Solved

Raytsou

With our exclusive report that AMD would be making just 30,000 units of its HBM-powered Radeon R9 Fury X, the news that it is receiving help from United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC) in the form of the company entering volume production of TSVs (Through Silicon Vias) which is used in the production of HBM (High Bandwidth Memory).

AMD has already acknowledged the supply issues of the R9 Fury X, but with the release of the air-cooled Fury and the imminent release of the R9 Nano, these HBM supply issues are only going to get worse. UMC had kept AMD at bay until July 20, where it entered volume production of TSVs, which means the bottleneck that AMD is experiencing, should be gone.

So AMD might have some timely help, which should solve Fiji's biggest problem: low production volumes. This is great news, and we should see more Fiji GPUs on the market, along with the R9 Nano. Hopefully we'll see a drop in the GPU prices, giving AMD the edge to dominate the market of 1440p and 4K.

Original Article

This is a signature.

So AMD might have some timely help, which should solve Fiji's biggest problem: low production volumes. This is great news, and we should see more Fiji GPUs on the market, along with the R9 Nano. Hopefully we'll see a drop in the GPU prices, giving AMD the edge to dominate the market of 1440p and 4K.

Original Article

hopefully

On 11/19/2014 at 2:14 PM, Syntaxvgm said:
You would think Ubisoft would support the Bulldozer based architectures more given their digging themed names like bulldozer, Piledriver, Steamroller and Excavator.

Now there just needs to be some good Freesync monitors with refresh-ranges of 1 - 120/144 like with G-Sync.  Hopefully they're coming *_*

In AMD we kinda trust...

CPU: Intel i7 8700K | CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 | RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x8GB | Motherboard: Asus ROG Z370-E | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB & 2TB | SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB & 970 EVO M.2 500GB | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X | PSU: Silverstone Platinum Strider 1100W | Monitor: AOC i2367Fh | Headphones: ATH-M40X | Mic: Antlion ModMic 4 | Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB w/ MX Browns | Mouse: Logitech G502 HERO

Make sure you quote or mention the person you're replying to in your comment. Also remember to follow your thread when creating it to get a notification every time someone replies. 

Be nice and have fun. Cheers!

I have always been an amd fanboy, I don't know why... If amd can match nvidia that would be neat. I don't want them to try to beat nvidia though. That would start a shitwar. I personally wouldn't mind if amd stopped making CPUs though...

Great. Still, what reason would I have to choose the Fury X over the 980 Ti? They perform almost the same.

AMD needs to make compelling options for consumers, but right now there isn't anything they do that NVIDIA can't. If they want to succeed, they need to do something that differentiates them from the competition, but I'm not seeing anything like that.

Why is the God of Hyperdeath SO...DARN...CUTE!?

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

Are we sure that hbm is the only limitation... Also hynix can't keep up? Or hynix's suppliers can't keep up... It's just odd.

Also I doubt the yields on the fury x gpus themselves are very good otherwise they wouldn't be doing two cut downs of them.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

Great. Still, what reason would I have to choose the Fury X over the 980 Ti? They perform almost the same.

AMD needs to make compelling options for consumers, but right now there isn't anything they do that NVIDIA can't. If they want to succeed, they need to do something that differentiates them from the competition, but I'm not seeing anything like that.

That's why I said, "Hopefully we'll see a drop in the GPU prices, giving AMD the edge to dominate the market of 1440p and 4K."

I said that because currently, there's no reason to get a Fury X over a 980ti, unless you are crossfiring in 4k, which is a VERY niche market. But if there's a drop in price or a better stock for availability, then people will have more incentive to buy the Fury X and other Fiji GPUs.

This is a signature.

Are we sure that hbm is the only limitation... Also hynix can't keep up? Or hynix's suppliers can't keep up... It's just odd.

Also I doubt the yields on the fury x gpus themselves are very good otherwise they wouldn't be doing two cut downs of them.

HBM isn't the only limitation. There's also the 4GB problem, along with performance only matching and more often then not, losing to the 980ti. But the news here is that they'll have a more ready supply, which could lower costs, raise availability, and lead to more sales.

This is a signature.

HBM isn't the only limitation. There's also the 4GB problem, along with performance only matching and more often then not, losing to the 980ti. But the news here is that they'll have a more ready supply, which could lower costs, raise availability, and lead to more sales.

It won't lower cost. It would be a fiasco for amd(and it's retailers) to lower prices less than a month after release below msrp.

I meant limitations to sales volume. I know full well what the card's issues are.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

That's why I said, "Hopefully we'll see a drop in the GPU prices, giving AMD the edge to dominate the market of 1440p and 4K."

I said that because currently, there's no reason to get a Fury X over a 980ti, unless you are crossfiring in 4k, which is a VERY niche market. But if there's a drop in price or a better stock for availability, then people will have more incentive to buy the Fury X and other Fiji GPUs.

I still doubt that the price will go down. As @Curufinwe_wins said, the yields can't be that good if they have to make two cut-down versions of it. Also, they are using new technologies to allow the memory to be close to the GPU die. I heard something about an interposer, which I recall @patrickjp93 saying is expensive. They can't be making much on each GPU even at the price it's at.

Also, if anyone has their mind corrupted by an anthropomorphic black latex bat, please let me know. I would like to join you.

There is ZERO problem as this 4gb limit does not exist. All they have to do is either double the stack height (which they are doing right now) or double the density, either way you get 4x2gb stacks of HBM.

It won't lower cost. It would be a fiasco for amd(and it's retailers) to lower prices less than a month after release below msrp.

I meant limitations to sales volume. I know full well what the card's issues are.

What I'm saying is that a better supply of HBM would allow the Fiji cards to be sold more, which means that margins COULD be lower, therefore lower price. A lower price point would definitely allow it to dominate over the 980ti. 

As to the limitations of sales volume, the most apparent one is HBM availability. I'm not too sure, so we'll have to see.

This is a signature.

Sweet. Now we can get some more manufacturers building fury cards. I really want to see what the nano can do also.

Blarg

I still doubt that the price will go down. As @Curufinwe_wins said, the yields can't be that good if they have to make two cut-down versions of it. Also, they are using new technologies to allow the memory to be close to the GPU die. I heard something about an interposer, which I recall @patrickjp93 saying is expensive. They can't be making much on each GPU even at the price it's at.

Well, we can still hope.

Besides, a 20$ drop should be able to justify a 0~5 fps difference in games against a 980ti, coupled with occasional sales to drop it another ~30$, and AMD could have a winner on our hands.

If it wasn't for the 980ti releasing, we'd be seeing Fury X dominating the 1440p and 4K market at 850$, the original price point. The 980ti releasing was bad news for AMD, but in the end, it benefits the consumer the most. If we see a price drop, or even just an air cooled Fury X coming out (not the Fury), then we'd have even more competition, which is still good for us consumers.

This is a signature.

The Nano isn't cut down. It has lower clock rates than Fury X though.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

But the variable refresh range for those isn't all that good.  It's 35hz to 90hz for Freesync instead of 1 - 144 like G-sync :c

Well then, we'll probably see better ones in the future. I remember FRTC is limited to 35~90fps, don't know if that has anything to do with FreeSync.

This is a signature.

The Nano isn't cut down. It has lower clock rates than Fury X though.

Same difference. :P

No, but seriously, what I meant was that there's a cut-down version in the form of the Fury, and the Nano that's binned a bit lower, assuming the rumors are right.. Regardless, I can't imagine the yields are very good.

Now there just needs to be some good Freesync monitors with refresh-ranges of 1 - 120/144 like with G-Sync.  Hopefully they're coming *_*

What's wrong with the BenQ XL2730Z ?

Well, we can still hope.

Besides, a 20$ drop should be able to justify a 0~5 fps difference in games against a 980ti, coupled with occasional sales to drop it another ~30$, and AMD could have a winner on our hands.

If it wasn't for the 980ti releasing, we'd be seeing Fury X dominating the 1440p and 4K market at 850$, the original price point. The 980ti releasing was bad news for AMD, but in the end, it benefits the consumer the most. If we see a price drop, or even just an air cooled Fury X coming out (not the Fury), then we'd have even more competition, which is still good for us consumers.

I certainly hope the price goes down, but I can't say I think $50 is enough of a differentiation between the 980 Ti and the Fury X. If we're looking at raw performance, sure, but NVIDIA hasn't gotten 75% market share (on dedicated GPUs) on performance alone.

What's wrong with the BenQ XL2730Z ?

Refresh range is 40 - 144hz, so it is better than most other Freesync monitors when it comes to variable-sync, but it is only a TN panel.