Much overclocking headroom using 550W for a system w/ 980Ti and 4690k?

LaboonTheWhale

As the title says, I am debating between a 550W and a 650W PSU by EVGA. 

the PSU calculator showed 384W as the usage and 400W as recommendation. 

ehhh, if its a solid 550w your probably fine but for my mental health i'd grab a 600w

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

Better to be safe than sorry, maybe go slightly higher and cover yourself :)

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

ehhh, if its a solid 550w your probably fine but for my mental health i'd grab a 600w

Better to be safe than sorry, maybe go slightly higher and cover yourself :)

The PSU I was looking at was between the EVGA Supernova GS 550W and the 650W

they're both top notch. I'd grab the 650w for 100% maximum safety to protect your fps carnage tho :D

CPU: INTEL Core i7 4790k @ 4.7Ghz - Cooling: NZXT Kraken X61 - Mobo: Gigabyte Z97X SLI - RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ares 2400mhz - GPU: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 Fury 4G - Case: Phanteks P350X - PSU: EVGA 750GQ - Storage: WD Black 1TB - Fans: 2x Noctua NF-P14s (Push) / 2x Corsair AF140 (Pull) / 3x Corsair AF120 (Exhaust) - Keyboard: Corsair K70 Cherry MX Red - Mouse: Razer Deathadder Chroma

Bit of an AMD fan I suppose. I don't bias my replies to anything however, I just prefer AMD and their products. Buy whatever the H*CK you want. 

---QUOTE ME OR I WILL LIKELY NOT REPLY---

just go with the 650w.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

haha good luck with that

you need at least a 700w psu to properly power an overclocked i5-4690k and a 980 ti

[(cpuTdp + gpuTdp) * 2 ] + [(numberOfGpus -1) * gpuTdp]

cpu tdp = 88

gpu tdp = 250

total = 676

BigDay

650W will be a lot safer

its possible to OC on 550W, but its better to have more overhead for efficiency and heat reasons

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

haha good luck with that

you need at least a 700w psu to properly power an overclocked i5-4690k and a 980 ti

[(cpuTdp + gpuTdp) * 2 ] + [(numberOfGpus -1) * gpuTdp]

cpu tdp = 88

gpu tdp = 250

total = 676

who the heck taught you how to calculate PSU wattage?

74820.png

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

who the heck taught you how to calculate PSU wattage?

74820.png

send me the full article

BigDay

Spoiler

Holy fuck how many people recommended you the 650W...? You'll be more than fine on 550W with at least 200-250W of headroom AFTER overclocking....

@Aniallation would probably agree with me so I'll tag him.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Go with the 650 if you know what's good for you.

just go with the 650w.

650W will be a lot safer

its possible to OC on 550W, but its better to have more overhead for efficiency and heat reasons

Holy fuck how many people recommended you the 650W...? You'll be more than fine on 550W with at least 200-250W of headroom AFTER overclocking....

@Aniallation would probably agree with me so I'll tag him.

What the hell... an overclocked 290X is still more then happy to run off a quality 550W... and they use noticeably more power then 980Ti.

"Rawr XD"

What the hell... an overclocked 290X is still more then happy to run off a quality 550W... and they use noticeably more power then 980Ti.

1) running a PSU past 50% load leads to a drop in power efficiency

2) running a PSU close to max load causes it to heat up a lot, which will cause the fan to spin up and be obnoxiously loud

3) a 980ti overclocks way more than a 290x

4) when overclocked, a 980ti can use more power than a 290x

maybe you didn't look at the image, but it is extremely obvious that the 980ti uses more power than the 290x

74820.png

Spoiler

1) running a PSU past 50% load leads to a drop in power efficiency

2) running a PSU close to max load causes it to heat up a lot, which will cause the fan to spin up and be obnoxiously loud

Not everyone cares about these, and many quality PSUs are still very quiet under full load

3) a 980ti overclocks way more than a 290x

4) when overclocked, a 980ti can use more power than a 290x

Subjective. It's not like 290X can't be overclocked as well, and it's not like lottery doesn't apply.

maybe you didn't look at the image, but it is extremely obvious that the 980ti uses more power than the 290x

In that one test, and I've definitely questioned Anandtech's testing methods in the past.

Power_01.png

power.png

EVGA-GTX-980-TI-82.jpg

"Rawr XD"

Not everyone cares about these, and many quality PSUs are still very quiet under full load

Subjective. It's not like 290X can't be overclocked as well, and it's not like lottery doesn't apply.

In that one test, and I've definitely questioned Anandtech's testing methods in the past.

most quality PSUs have a 2000+ rpm fan which is NOT quiet under full load

not subjective

its a fact that the 900 series cards on average reach much higher clock speeds than r9 series cards

you posted a bunch of power tests for stock 980tis

I already said that when OVERCLOCKED the 980ti uses a lot more power than a 290x

And I'm not talking about the pathetic 100MHz overclock on the superclocked 980ti, I'm talking about the 1300-1400MHz+ that almost anyone can get on a 900 series card

Spoiler

most quality PSUs have a 2000+ rpm fan which is NOT quiet under full load

not subjective

its a fact that the 900 series cards on average reach much higher clock speeds than r9 series cards

you posted a bunch of power tests for stock 980tis

I already said that when OVERCLOCKED the 980ti uses a lot more power than a 290x

And I'm not talking about the pathetic 100MHz overclock on the superclocked 980ti, I'm talking about the 1300-1400MHz+ that almost anyone can get on a 900 series card

The EVGA GS has a fan that tops out at 1700 RPM max, and only at around 90-95% load and at high ambient does the fan actually ramp up that high. At a more reasonable load of around 400-450W, noise levels are around 33dBA accounting ambient, which will definitely be overrun by other fans like CPU, GPU, and case fans.

ON AVERAGE but that does not mean there are exceptions

And for the last one, I suggest you re-read my reply before getting your panties in a knot. I explicitly replied to:

74820.png

980Ti overclocked will use more power then stock 290X obviously, but unlike your linked image shows, stock 980 Ti should be using less then stock 290X, as I showed with proof in the images that I linked, and why I stated that this is definitely not the first time I've questioned the testing methods of Anandtech. The 160W 980 non-Ti shouldn't be using the same amount of power as the 300W 290X.

"Rawr XD"

Either way a 550 watt psu would hate it's life of you ran it close to max load for long periods (folding) i like have about a 25% overhead for a psu because i can keep them for 5 years or more. Arc weld with a psu ;) also 550 seems to be fine.

The EVGA GS has a fan that tops out at 1700 RPM max, and only at around 90-95% load and at high ambient does the fan actually ramp up that high. At a more reasonable load of around 400-450W, noise levels are around 33dBA accounting ambient, which will definitely be overrun by other fans like CPU, GPU, and case fans.

ON AVERAGE but that does not mean there are exceptions

And for the last one, I suggest you re-read my reply before getting your panties in a knot. I explicitly replied to:

980Ti overclocked will use more power then stock 290X obviously, but unlike your linked image shows, stock 980 Ti should be using less then stock 290X, as I showed with proof in the images that I linked, and why I stated that this is definitely not the first time I've questioned the testing methods of Anandtech. The 160W 980 shouldn't be using the same amount of power as the 300W 290X.

sorry but 33dba is nowhere near quiet

and the power benchmarks you posted are stress tests during games

the benchmark from anandtech is furmark

there is a huge difference between gaming and furmark

Spoiler

sorry but 33dba is nowhere near quiet

Again, you need to take in to consideration other fans in your system... it's not like you're running the PSU in a separate room from your PC.

and the power benchmarks you posted are stress tests during games

the benchmark from anandtech is furmark

there is a huge difference between gaming and furmark

And Furmark is not a realistic load scenario. Nobody buys a PC just to run Furmark on it all day.

"Rawr XD"

Again, you need to take in to consideration other fans in your system... it's not like you're running the PSU in a separate room from your PC.

And Furmark is not a realistic load scenario. Nobody buys a PC just to run Furmark on it all day.

GPU assisted rendering puts similar 100% load on any GPU

plus some people mine, even though they shouldnt

and even if the power consumption is less than what is shown in the anandtech benchmark, it would still be more than a 290x when you overclock it

linustechtips overclocked their 980 G1 and it used more power than their overclocked 780ti (which uses about the same as a 290x non-uber)

oh and just because a 33db fan is droned out by other extremely loud components does not mean it magically becomes a quiet fan

I'm pretty sure most people here dont have any fans over 30db since 25db is already extremely loud

Spoiler

GPU assisted rendering puts similar 100% load on any GPU

plus some people mine, even though they shouldnt

How do you know OP is doing either of these things

and even if the power consumption is less than what is shown in the anandtech benchmark, it would still be more than a 290x when you overclock it

linustechtips overclocked their 980 G1 and it used more power than their overclocked 780ti (which uses about the same as a 290x non-uber)

I KNOW THAT OVERCLOCKED 980 TI USES MORE THEN 290X. I'M TALKING ABOUT STOCK 980TI VS STOCK 290X

How hard is that to understand? Or are you just trying to push forward the same point over and over again to make it seem like you're right...

oh and just because a 33db fan is droned out by other extremely loud components does not mean it magically becomes a quiet fan

I'm pretty sure most people here dont have any fans over 30db since 25db is already extremely loud

That was just one example, again, calm your tits. There's quieter PSUs out there, I used the 550GS as an example because it was a PSU recommended in the thread (and presumably what OP wants to get). The GS definitely not the quietest PSU under load by far.

"Rawr XD"

I KNOW THAT OVERCLOCKED 980 TI USES MORE THEN 290X. I'M TALKING ABOUT STOCK 980TI VS STOCK 290X

why are you even bringing stock 980tis into this? I'm only talking about overclocked results because OP wants to overclock

just chill

if you dont want to overclock thats fine, i dont care

Spoiler