Much overclocking headroom using 550W for a system w/ 980Ti and 4690k?

LaboonTheWhale

why are you even bringing stock 980tis into this? I'm only talking about overclocked results because OP wants to overclock

just chill

if you dont want to overclock thats fine, i dont care

because the graph you linked isn't accurate to real world results...

"Rawr XD"

because the graph you linked isn't accurate to real world results...

temp-power-gtx-980-ti.jpg

power-consumption.jpg

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Images!

A full list of specs to go with those "Full system power draw" graphs would be nice. Is the CPU Overclocked? What CPU is it?

Pulling graphs out of context isn't very helpful.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

A full list of specs to go with those "Full system power draw" graphs would be nice. Is the CPU Overclocked? What CPU is it?

Pulling graphs out of context isn't very helpful.

you can find the full system specs on the full review on the website

they always use an intel CPU, usually an i7 or i7-e

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

As the title says, I am debating between a 550W and a 650W PSU by EVGA. 

the PSU calculator showed 384W as the usage and 400W as recommendation. 

550 is more then enough. 

you won't even hit 400 most of the time.  You can freely overclock just dont plug in 20 harddrives :)

on the other hand, if you get a 750-850 than you can SLI some time in the future if that's what you are planning because a 550 wont work with a SLI config. 

work rig

cpu: AMD 5800X mb: Pro WS X570-ACE cooling: NH-D15 ram: 32GB Corsair 3200mhz ssd: Samsung 970 Pro 512GB, 860 Evo 512GB   hdd: 4TB Seagate, 320GB gpu: Asus RTX-1060 6GB psu: Corsair RM750x display: Philips 32" 4K case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black

home lab and NAS

cpu: Xeon E5-2697 v2 (12c/24t) mb: Rampage 4 Black Edition cooling: Hyper 212 EVO ram: 64GB Corsair 1866mhz ssd: 2x Intel DC S4610 (480GB), 2x Intel DC P3605 (1.6 TB)  hdd: 4x Seagate IronWolf 4TB CMR, Seagate Exos 7E8 8TB, WD VelociRaptor 10K 450GB  gpu: Asus GTX-660 psu: Corsair HX850i case: Corsair 750D

you can find the full system specs on the full review on the website

they always use an intel CPU, usually an i7 or i7-e

He didn't provide a website in the post I quoted though.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

-

okay? I don't see what you're trying to prove... you're just confirming my statement that in terms of power consumption: OC'd 980 Ti > stock 290X > stock 780Ti

"Rawr XD"

What the hell... an overclocked 290X is still more then happy to run off a quality 550W... and they use noticeably more power then 980Ti.

I know it's most then enough but why not just go for it if he's asking between them

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit