AMD has 'priority access' to HBM2, Hoping to expand HBM GPU lineups

Deletive

sk_hynix_hbm_2_hbm2_wafer_fudzilla.jpg

Our sources have told us that AMD management has thrown significant weight behind this new range of graphics chips to accelerate its development and time to market. This is we’re told is to take advantage of a deal established with SK Hynix which gives AMD priority to HBM2 capacity which is going to be in limited supply initially. Capturing as much of the initial production capacity as possible would give AMD an edge against its main rival, Nvidia, going into the next generation of GPUs featuring second generation HBM technology. Which is exactly what the company is gunning for.

It's not surprising how AMD would get priority access to HBM2 before NVidia does because they were working on it with SK Hynix for awhile. This might have a big effect on NVidia's Pascal depending on the demand of AMD's GPU's.

"The range will span top to bottom solutions featuring SK Hynix’s stacked high bandwidth memory, HBM for short. This new lineup will also serve as the vehicle by which AMD will introduce this new memory technology to the mobile segment with the company’s first ever set of HBM GPUs designed for notebooks."

Bringing HBM to mobile GPU's would be a really nice play by AMD to help them gain some ground in the mobile sector which they are extremely lacking on. Hopefully making them a bigger competitor in that sector.

sources: 

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/46420/amd-priority-access-hbm2-advantage-over-nvidia/index.html
http://wccftech.com/amd-working-entire-range-hbm-gpus-follow-fiji-fury-lineup/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'm quite interested in HBM saving space on laptops because of the obscene amount of vRAM that mobile GPU's always seem to have.

CPU: i7 5820K 4.0GHz @1.15V | MOBO: Asus X99 Sabertooth | GPU: Gigabyte Windforce GTX 980Ti, LTT Orange | CASE: NZXT H440 Black 2015 | COOLER: Noctua NH-D15S w/ LTT Fans | RAM: 32GB Patriot 3000MHz | STORAGE: 512GB Samsung 950 Pro, 960GB Sandisk Ultra II 3 x 8TB Seagate HDD's | PSU: 750W Seasonic X series, black / orange cablemod cables| Monitors: 3x Asus VX24AH's | AUDIO OUT: Microlab SOLO 8C, Sennheiser HD 650's, Audio engine D1 Amp / DAC | AUDIO IN: Blue Snowball | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire TK MX Green | Mouse: Logitech G900 Proteus Spectrum + RSI Extended Mouse Pad | PCPP Linkhttp://nz.pcpartpicker.com/list/hPjFd6

Wafers always look so pretty.

And yea go AMD, please take all the HBM and force nvidia to use GDDR5.

This won't happen but if it did....

Well i would laugh for days

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Very cool!  2016 is going to be an exciting year for GPUs!

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

I wonder what nVIDIA feels about this after saying they will release Pascal with HBM2 memory ... 

"Don't key your dreams be dreams... JUST DO IT"
-shia labeouf

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I wonder what nVIDIA feels about this after saying they will release Pascal with HBM2 memory ... 

delay?

delay?

If that happens we will actually see a turn of tables ( Usually it was nVIDIA release first , AMD second ) 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

If that happens we will actually see a turn of tables ( Usually it was nVIDIA release first , AMD second ) 

this might be really interesting since pascal was supposedly was going to reduce more power consumption too but it might stay the same

I am hoping they will start using HBM with APUs. The benchmarks of the new Intel chips with L4 cache shows faster memory is the key to improving integrated graphics.

I wonder how 128MB of L4 cache does against a 1GB stack of HBM. I would think L4 cache would be faster but HBM has more capacity while still being pretty fast

"Don't key your dreams be dreams... JUST DO IT"

-shia labeouf

How does one key?

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Summary of AMD's memory tactics:

d68b2958cbc8d7482f72cce0cb7d5e9f.jpg

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

Is it safe to say Nvidia just got BTFO?

Nvidia just got BTFO.

Expect AMD cards to come out first, and if people get into that 4k-must-have frenzy..then AMD might, just might, make a comeback in the GPU market specifically.

This is going to get interesting, but no company should be kept from accessing new industry standard technology. Imagine if AMD CPUs were kept from developing support for DDR4. That would be absurd and would only set PC gaming, and consumer computers in general, back.

Greenland is gonna be sexy. Pascal? Never heard of him.

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

Wow, called that pretty hard.

It would not surprise me to see HBM be standard in all of AMD's mid to high end GPU's and APU's next year already. Even with the news of SK Hynix ramping up production, AMD is still their only customer of this particular ram technology so far.

I wonder what nvidia will do though. TSMC might not be ready with 16nm FF+ for a mid 2016 launch of Pascal, and now HBM 2 will probably not be accessable for them either. We might see ½-1 year delay as things stands right now.

Greenland of course will get HBM2 and probaby in an 8GB configuration. Whether Global Foundries will be ready with a high performance 14nm FF node by then is really the only interesting question. GloFo has a working, certified mass production 14nm FF node already, so half a year more to make a high performance node should be doable. Especially considering the high volume of chips they could make with all of AMD's mid to high end A/C/GPU chips being on that node.

Is it safe to say Nvidia just got BTFO?

Nvidia just got BTFO.

Expect AMD cards to come out first, and if people get into that 4k-must-have frenzy..then AMD might, just might, make a comeback in the GPU market specifically.

This is going to get interesting, but no company should be kept from accessing new industry standard technology. Imagine if AMD CPUs were kept from developing support for DDR4. That would be absurd and would only set PC gaming, and consumer computers in general, back.

Greenland is gonna be sexy. Pascal? Never heard of him.

No one is keeping nvidia from accessing an industry standard. They can just buy it from other vendors. Well they can't, but they could have invested in it like AMD did, to have proper access to HBM earlier. Cannot fault AMD for that really.

As things stands now, if Pascal cannot use HBM, it would need 16-32 GB of vram and a massive bit bandwidth to compete with Greenland.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Wow, called that pretty hard.

It would not surprise me to see HBM be standard in all of AMD's mid to high end GPU's and APU's next year already. Even with the news of SK Hynix ramping up production, AMD is still their only customer of this particular ram technology so far.

I wonder what nvidia will do though. TSMC might not be ready with 16nm FF+ for a mid 2016 launch of Pascal, and now HBM 2 will probably not be accessable for them either. We might see ½-1 year delay as things stands right now.

Greenland of course will get HBM2 and probaby in an 8GB configuration. Whether Global Foundries will be ready with a high performance 14nm FF node by then is really the only interesting question. GloFo has a working, certified mass production 14nm FF node already, so half a year more to make a high performance node should be doable. Especially considering the high volume of chips they could make with all of AMD's mid to high end A/C/GPU chips being on that node.

No one is keeping nvidia from accessing an industry standard. They can just buy it from other vendors. Well they can't, but they could have invested in it like AMD did, to have proper access to HBM earlier. Cannot fault AMD for that really.

As things stands now, if Pascal cannot use HBM, it would need 16-32 GB of vram and a massive bit bandwidth to compete with Greenland.

Lol Pascal is going to be using HBM 2.0. Its been laid out and they have access to the technology. They just have their own marketing term for it, similar to what AMD did with SLI technology. There is no doubt in my mind ( and i hope anyone elses..). I was referencing the first retarded troll suggestion.

CPU: i5 4670k | Motherboard: MSI B85I | Stock cooler | RAM: 8gb DDR3 RAM 1600mhz | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked w/ACX cooling | Storage: 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black | Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/ Window

Lol Pascal is going to be using HBM 2.0. There is no doubt in my mind ( and i hope anyone elses..). I was referencing the first retarded troll suggestion.

I think so too; the question is how long it will take before SK Hynix has the production means to satisfy demand outside of AMD's. In this case, this might be yet another thing that could delay Pascal's entry to the market next year.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

I think it's been posted long before that Pascal gpu would be using hbm2 but with this leak (considering how trustworthy the source is) it's gonna be grim if it gets delayed. If it does, it'll just give team green more time to polish it further.

Amd has been very good working with other companies pushing new tech standard but I guess they're gonna have to start making cutthroat decisions against the competition in order to turn around their financoal standing.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Wafers always look so pretty.

Before etching and doping they just look like a shingle of dry gray mud...

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

If this is true there might be an anti trust lawsuit in the future.  There are very few legitimate reasons a company can use to control or limit supply.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

This won't happen but if it did....

Well i would laugh for days

I would die if Western Digital came back into creating graphic chips and used HBM2 before AMD did.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

If this is true there might be an anti trust lawsuit in the future. There are very few legitimate reasons a company can use to control or limit supply.

Not really. AMD has priority access which is just fine as they helped develop it. AMD gets first pick and others get the leftovers, as an agreement between two companies. The only way that could turn into an anti trust issue is if AMD was abusing it by deliberately ordering HBM it didn't need just to keep it away from Nvidia.